1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Make Turvey commish - Jones

Discussion in 'NRL' started by gallagher, Dec 13, 2009.

1. gallagher

gallagher Juniors

*Edit*

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  2. bartman

bartman Immortal

Alan Jones... not someone you'd want on your side imo...

But Turvey would make a good nomination.

3. 1 Eyed TEZZA

1 Eyed TEZZA Coach

Id be happy with Turvey there, he certainly would push for fans to sign on as season ticket holders.

4. siv

siv Bench

happy with nomination

may even be the head - the way things are going

5. OVP

OVP Coach

Totally agree with Jones (probably for the very first time ever lol). Turvey would be my pick for sure. Mick Cronin, Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga (when he retires from origin coaching), Brad Clyde would also be good choices to help out as well.

6. Brutus

Brutus Referee

Turvey spells passion and not one ounce of self-interest.

He'd do me

7. parra-matters

parra-matters Coach

I'd be happy to see Turvey and Jones on the board to be honest, Jones may have his haters but he is a very astute man and knows what works and what doesn't.

8. siv

siv Bench

jones - no way

has no idea how to run a club

9. Fein

Fein First Grade

Exactly, he knows f**k all about football and in my opinion he virtually ruined both Balmain and Souths with his stints at each club.

He was also way off the mark when it came to the privatisation vote at Souths, backing the losers to the hilt in spite of all sorts of balanced opinion.

I do agree with him that Mortimer would be a good choice on the commission but as the article illustrates, Mortimer ha been calling for this for a while now so it's just a classic case of Jones stating the obvious.

10. fred92

fred92 Juniors

11. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Turvey and Meninga for me from the passion for the game side then some very strong business minded people and finally a couple of heavy hitters in the corproate and political worlds would be ideal. Oh and a CEO with some leadership ability and the trust of the fans would be nice.

12. Loudstrat

Loudstrat Coach

Turvey sounds like a good chice - underneath the spin though (by Jones - enough reason to kill the idea) is that we have a bloke who was punted as CEO of a club during a huge scandal.

13. fred92

fred92 Juniors

Whoever is chosen as board members or commissioner to run Rugby League must have no affiliation past or present with any Australian leagues club. I remember the days of Ken Arthurson and his stranglehold of the game to the benefit of his Manly club. Fans dont want to travel down that path again. Power does corrupt.

14. Brutus

Brutus Referee

Put Alan Jones and Singo on the commission and give 2GB the radio rights for life.

15. Quidgybo

Quidgybo Bench

The problem with that is that it pretty much excludes anyone born of the game with an undisputed passion for the game. I think it's enough that any Commissioner holds no other position within the game at the time of their nomination or during their tenure. Combine that with the requirement that nominees have the support of 75% of clubs and you're pretty much assured that we won't get anyone nominated as part of a kickback deal with their current employer or who is financially beholden to any one club. And anyone with a history of strong partisanship towards one club will never muster 75% support. There are plenty of great people within the RL world capable of putting aside their personal biases and looking at the bigger picture of what is good for the game. We just want to weed out the John Ribots and Dennis Fitzgeralds.

Leigh

16. Brutus

Brutus Referee

Yet Vlad Demetriou is a former Nth Melbourne player and, if anything, does nothing to enhance his former club from what I've heard.

Anyone who has seen/heard Mortimer talk in the media over the past year or so would recognise that he has the game, and the game only at heart.

17. Fein

Fein First Grade

And of course, you'd want little johnny there as well. :p

18. Loudstrat

Loudstrat Coach

So the commission should have people who don't give a rats about the game. :lol:

If Arko was there to give Manly supreme help, then he failed miserably. 18-6 and 21-8 - with a test pack and a crooked ref. If only Cronulla had those "advantages" :lol:

19. Green Machine

Green Machine First Grade

Speaking Alan Jones and 2GB, I wonder if there is a way of working Chris Smith into the thread,

20. Loudstrat

Loudstrat Coach

Who does he play for?