What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

stretcher

Juniors
i dont no y the matts players left but i do no why sgball players left. out of all of the boys that letf the only one getting paid is tyrone and he went to penrith and showed them the contracted penrith sed he wasnt worth it soo thats there lose not his.
Your wrong about tyrone he was offered big money and he also wanted to get out of the area because of the trouble he was getting into needed a change and i applaud such maturity but seeing him hanging around the penrith sheds at saturdays trial is evident he still has a good relationship with his old teammates and coaches.....made a decision about his life and future what a rareity....

stretcher

Juniors
What difference does it make if he is a mate or not? Fact is, promising young players being allowed to leave the club with no offer at all from Panthers. Another example... Paul Aiton. No offer from Penrith, yet we seem to pay mega bucks for any ex-Canberra player that Elliott has taken a shine to with his previous club. Elliott and our management need to learn that there is talent outside Canberra, and at least make some kind of offer to players that indicate that they would like to stay at Penrith.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Jones or Matt Elliott are mates of your Stretcher? Come on.....just own up and admit it.
forgive me i might be mistaken but i thought this was a hmatts sgball thread and no never met jj or matt e and guess what players dont tell penrith they are happy to stay players get picked to stay and then prove themselves and then get offers you cant go into any business and demand a job no matter how many other companies want you wakey wakey hand off snakey....

ii_can_c_you_

Juniors
Your wrong about tyrone he was offered big money and he also wanted to get out of the area because of the trouble he was getting into needed a change and i applaud such maturity but seeing him hanging around the penrith sheds at saturdays trial is evident he still has a good relationship with his old teammates and coaches.....made a decision about his life and future what a rareity....
Mate im with you on that there r other recons y they r leaving in big numbers but most of the p@l on this site dont wanna hear its other reasons apart for money these kids dont need money they need a club chats going to put sum type of enough into the players. As for tyrone he did need to get out of hear nd its done him good he meets up with all hes mates from this area every weekend

sweet-as

Juniors
Guys put yourself in these kids shoes. They are 16-18 years of age, are extremely desperate to make their dreams come true, so it is absolutely their choice only if they leave Penrith because " the grass is greener" also incase your forgetting Western Sydney aint the richest part of Australia so how can you bag these teenagers for being persuaded by an easy dollar!!

Fibroman

First Grade
forgive me i might be mistaken but i thought this was a hmatts sgball thread and no never met jj or matt e and guess what players dont tell penrith they are happy to stay players get picked to stay and then prove themselves and then get offers you cant go into any business and demand a job no matter how many other companies want you wakey wakey hand off snakey....

My hand is off the snakey, and my brain tells me that our retention and recruiting at Penrith is terrible, and if you believe otherwise, then I think you should go and book yourself into Pialla, PRONTO.

stretcher

Juniors
My hand is off the snakey, and my brain tells me that our retention and recruiting at Penrith is terrible, and if you believe otherwise, then I think you should go and book yourself into Pialla, PRONTO.
Nobody is disputing there is a problem but to blame penrith and penrith only makes me believe you need to book yourself in pronto you have blinkers on....

stretcher

Juniors
Guys put yourself in these kids shoes. They are 16-18 years of age, are extremely desperate to make their dreams come true, so it is absolutely their choice only if they leave Penrith because " the grass is greener" also incase your forgetting Western Sydney aint the richest part of Australia so how can you bag these teenagers for being persuaded by an easy dollar!!
Well finally somebody admits that its not just penrith but i will say this footy wont feed them forever so i believe it will only create another problem in gaining employment later because as i said they wont be able to demand a job like they demand contracts and i blame the parents for not making them see that......

half_back

Juniors
For your imfo peter bent wasnt picked in matts cause he didnt perform he went to manly to try his luck and got in and good luck to him seems like a great kid but he was hardly manlys best player last year and was invited back penrith threw out a spot for him he declined cause he wanted to trial with ball and hes not good enough to make penrith ball and you know it so again classic case of grass is greener and as for zack clay he only just moved back to parra last year hasnt always lived there and guess what has a parra contract penrith tried to match it without knowing what a 14yold with no rep experience is worth i imagine potential dosent have a price tag and as for antonelli he has a two year contract at roosters after failing to get one from penrith and parra so i guess its parras loss as well the point is the travel and thepromise of bigger and better things wil be there undoing as they will be playing for all the wrong reasons its a sport at the end of the day.....

Again how is it grass is greener? Peter Bent as you said wasnt picked in Matts because of performance, so therefore he wasnt wanted. He chose to trial for Manly and now stayed loyal this year despite being named in Penrith 17s. No grass is greener there, he wasnt wanted initially so pursued it somewhere else.

Never Said Zac Clay had always lived in Parra. Said he lives in Parra district and wanted to play local next year hence he sort to move there for both club and rep footy. But has been given no assurances on making Parra team rather than WSAS. To move locally is not grass is greener.

What I guess you dont realise with your statement that they are playing for all the wrong reasons is that we all talk on here about who might be the next players to play first grade. The top teir of these kids aspire to make it as well they see it as possibly a career path. Id imagine most 17 year olds are planning what career path they will take. These guys are choosing footy. Others will choose University some TAFE not all will get into there chosen profession. such is life. Antonelli As already said wasnt wanted by Penrith told there was no future for him therfore had no choice but to leave and pursue footy somewhere else. Hence the move to roosters. If you were told in your job you werent wanted and had no career path Im sure you would look for other opportunities elsewhere.

My initial point is still the same not everyone who leaves Penrith does so as the grass is greener. Penrith arent blameless in their management of junior rugby league.

Last edited:

stretcher

Juniors
Again how is it grass is greener? Peter Bent as you said wasnt picked in Matts because of performance, so therefore he wasnt wanted. He chose to trial for Manly and now stayed loyal this year despite being named in Penrith 17s. No grass is greener there, he wasnt wanted initially so pursued it somewhere else.

Never Said Zac Clay had always lived in Parra. Said he lives in Parra district and wanted to play local next year hence he sort to move there for both club and rep footy. But has been given no assurances on making Parra team rather than WSAS. To move locally is not grass is greener.

What I guess you dont realise with your statement that they are playing for all the wrong reasons is that we all talk on here about who might be the next players to play first grade. The top teir of these kids aspire to make it as well they see it as possibly a career path. Id imagine most 17 year olds are planning what career path they will take. These guys are choosing footy. Others will choose University some TAFE not all will get into there chosen profession. such is life. Antonelli As already said wasnt wanted by Penrith told there was no future for him therfore had no choice but to leave and pursue footy somewhere else. Hence the move to roosters. If you were told in your job you werent wanted and had no career path Im sure you would look for other opportunities elsewhere.

My initial point is still the same not everyone who leaves Penrith does so as the grass is greener. Penrith arent blameless in their management of junior rugby league.
Well halfback my point was that peter bent did go because he wasnt wanted which i applauded my point is now he is wanted and still went is an indication he wants to play ball not development or academy and the other point is zack left for contract not because he lived there like you said so stop trying to justify you original reasons why he left bottom line he left for money not for convenience and my prediction wont make it past harold matts if he dosent grow and play for the love and not money......and ive agreed penrith are partly to blame just not totally....as you always put probably cause you cant make it.....

truth spiiter

Juniors
blah blah blah,,, all i hear is people talking of the people penrith has let go... however well find during the comp they will pummell sides an the players they let go in the likes of antonelli and masaga will go missing... penrith sg ball will go undefeated an wipe there red hot on fire asses with them... penriths depth is too deep ,,, jim jones is a wizz wen it comes to talent...

half_back

Juniors
Well halfback my point was that peter bent did go because he wasnt wanted which i applauded my point is now he is wanted and still went is an indication he wants to play ball not development or academy and the other point is zack left for contract not because he lived there like you said so stop trying to justify you original reasons why he left bottom line he left for money not for convenience and my prediction wont make it past harold matts if he dosent grow and play for the love and not money......and ive agreed penrith are partly to blame just not totally....as you always put probably cause you cant make it.....

Are you serious...Peter Bent stayed through loyalty to Manly. A club doesnt pick you cause you arent good enough as you said and now they want him so he apparently should come back? Again Loyalty seems only a one way street for Penrith. Good luck to him he has loyalty.

Obviously you dont know Zac. Zac despite playing for St Clair went to Wenty training consistently throughout the season to train with them and his mates. He wanted to change clubs mid year but wasnt able to and already said he would go there next year. He always wanted to play at Parra now he lives there. Whether he makes it or not wasnt the debate it was your accusation that everyone leaves cause the grass is greener which simply isnt true.

sweet-as

Juniors

Has it not occured to anyone that maybe the only reason peter bent was picked for 17s was because he was trialling elsewhere.
Peter Bent was not even considered for Acadamy let alone Matts, barely played for St marys this year due to injury, and gets a mysterious call-up by Penrith??

micro

Juniors
This weeks trial is a 3 way trial Penrith, St George and Illawarra at Kogarah. Then the following week is at Windsor vs Knights as you stated. Cuts will be made then for WSAS and then they will play a trial the last weekend before the comp starts against Norths.
Halfback, do the 17s have another trial in the next few weeks? The academy sg ball side was going to have a number of 17s in it i was told, this may not be the case if they have no more trials, it is difficult to get any answers around the traps.

micro

Juniors
Has it not occured to anyone that maybe the only reason peter bent was picked for 17s was because he was trialling elsewhere.
Peter Bent was not even considered for Acadamy let alone Matts, barely played for St marys this year due to injury, and gets a mysterious call-up by Penrith??
sweet-as, just on Peter Bent, you have a point, he missed a lot of the year with the green and white and was not on the Penrith radar.

half_back

Juniors
Here we go again factless again answer me this why did these players leave and were all picked in rep squads Zack Clay,Jye Mamo,Jayden Tavae,Alan Nuilesa,Brendan Attwood,Aaron Tavaale,Jake Webb,Tai Tuivasa,Jason Antonelli,peter bent,Suni Fatalofa,Tyrone Viiga, and im sure theres more all these guys were picked but think the grass is greener and im guessing a guy like jim jones wouldnt make promises to anyone it wouldnt be professional and he wouldnt have that power.....

Stretcher back to the original discussion were you claimed "all left cause they felt grass is greener" you since have proven my arguement and admitted that Penrith have mismanaged some of the time "and ive agreed penrith are partly to blame just not totally", as I said you cant make a blanket statement about everyone and their reason for leaving.

You claim I think Penrith are always to blame "and ive agreed penrith are partly to blame just not totally....as you always put" Like to know when I always put that. I actually said "Yes some will leave for the thought that the grass is greener but many on your list left because of other reasons including mismanagement by Penrith." Im happy to acknowledge how it is, as I always will just seems you are the one who is big on facts and getting it right.

Mate you dont want to acknowledge the real reason some leave. Be it bent, Clay antonelli etc. Im happy to concede as I previously said some will leave cause grass is greener some for money and some because of the ineptitude of Penrith management. Just the way it is.

stretcher

Juniors
Stretcher back to the original discussion were you claimed "all left cause they felt grass is greener" you since have proven my arguement and admitted that Penrith have mismanaged some of the time "and ive agreed penrith are partly to blame just not totally", as I said you cant make a blanket statement about everyone and their reason for leaving.

You claim I think Penrith are always to blame "and ive agreed penrith are partly to blame just not totally....as you always put" Like to know when I always put that. I actually said "Yes some will leave for the thought that the grass is greener but many on your list left because of other reasons including mismanagement by Penrith." Im happy to acknowledge how it is, as I always will just seems you are the one who is big on facts and getting it right.

Mate you dont want to acknowledge the real reason some leave. Be it bent, Clay antonelli etc. Im happy to concede as I previously said some will leave cause grass is greener some for money and some because of the ineptitude of Penrith management. Just the way it is.
Well halfback when i say the grass is greener its a combination of better opportunities and money and what ever other reasons they have you dope if you want me single every individual reasons for leaving i would be here all day it was a figure of speech you do know what that dont you.And back on pete bent if he was loyal to manly he would of played club footy in manly instaed he was back playing in penrith and felt it was his right a passage to walk back into penrith like the rest of the mob that left.Go back a couple of years and you will see a penrith matts team that won the comp only fast tracked four players and that was underfeated and now a matts team that ran seventh wants more fast tracked please get over yourselves they just want to be able say im in ball......

micro

Juniors
Well halfback when i say the grass is greener its a combination of better opportunities and money and what ever other reasons they have you dope if you want me single every individual reasons for leaving i would be here all day it was a figure of speech you do know what that dont you.And back on pete bent if he was loyal to manly he would of played club footy in manly instaed he was back playing in penrith and felt it was his right a passage to walk back into penrith like the rest of the mob that left.Go back a couple of years and you will see a penrith matts team that won the comp only fast tracked four players and that was underfeated and now a matts team that ran seventh wants more fast tracked please get over yourselves they just want to be able say im in ball......
Hey stretcher, putting things into a little bit of perspective, Harold matts 2009 was Penriths most sucessful team in all grades. nrl=11th : nsw cup=10th : u/20= 13th : sg ball= 10th::sarcasm:

sweet-as

Juniors
Hey stretcher, putting things into a little bit of perspective, Harold matts 2009 was Penriths most sucessful team in all grades. nrl=11th : nsw cup=10th : u/20= 13th : sg ball= 10th::sarcasm:

Good point, the whole club is struggling at the moment just hope they can get back on track in the near future.