What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sponsors withdraw - ME Bank, Hostplus and Skins

Melbourne better hold off getting new jerseys till about an hour before their next game. Otherwise they might have the players in the dressing room unpicking the ex-sponsors logos.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The silver lining is the shocking green panel disappears from the front of the Storm jersey :lol:

parra_jesus

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...lary-cap-scandal/story-e6frexnr-1225857372201

THE explosive salary cap revelations have cost the Melbourne Storm a major sponsor with ME Bank announcing that it will terminate its sponsorship of the disgraced club.
ME Bank chief executive Jamie McPhee said today ME Bank has decided to terminate its sponsorship agreement with the Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club.

The bank said it is extremely disappointed by the events, which have come to light in the past 24 hours, relating to the salary cap breaches at Melbourne Storm.

“As an organisation ME Bank believes in the principles of strong governance, transparency, integrity, and fairness and we seek to ensure that all of our corporate and community partnerships uphold these same values,” McPhee said.

ME Bank, which said it is very saddened by the events and the effect these have on the many supporters,
members and affiliates of the Melbourne Storm family, will work with Storm to manage the conclusion of the sponsorship.

redvscotty

First Grade
KooGa is perhaps the most interesting of the lot - if they withdraw, the Storm don't have jerseys to play in or media wear etc... would another manufacturer pick up their contract or would we see them forfeit due to lack of jerseys?

Did the concept of 'shirts and Skins' suddenly die off?

Oh wait.....

Copa

Bench
Am I wrong to suggest Waldron and Co better start shifting their assets .. News LTD may want their time in court over lost earnings, damage to brand etc etc.. Not a company I'd like on my arse..

yakstorm

First Grade
Jayco, Harvey Norman are both staying. Expect to see Jayco on the jersey this weekend.

Suzuki, Makita and Kooga will be around for this weekend at least....

Nine, Herald Sun, City of Melbourne, Fox Sports, Leader Newspapers won't be going anywhere.

I doubt Musashi, Intercontinental or Gatorade will leave....

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...salary-cap-rorts/story-e6frg7mf-1225857426378

HostPlus join ME Bank in deserting Storm
MELBOURNE Storm major sponsor Host Plus has joined Member's Equity Bank in a mass exodus from the club in the wake of revelations of massive salary cap rorting.

The two major sponsors' names were removed from the Melbourne Storm website within minutes of the decision by Host Plus CEO David Elia to scrap the three-year agreement with immediate effect.

ME Bank also joined sports fashion company Skins today in saying it was ending its sponsorship of the team.

Mr Elia described the relationship as untenable.

Caravan company Jayco and car maker Suzuki will assume the position of the club's major sponsors from this weekend.

The swift departure the club's main sponsors presents the real prospect that the team could fold, as conceded by club chairman Rob Moodie this morning.

Mr Moodie, who says he was unaware of the rorting but has nonetheless offered his resignation, said: “Some (Storm employees) will want to walk, some fans will want to walk.

“Some sponsors will obviously want to move on. We understand that.”

ME Bank was seeking urgent meetings with Storm management last night, but wasted no time this morning in deciding to end the $1 million-plus sponsorship that was to run until the end of next season.

Skins was also forced into action by the revelations, with the company running an advertising campaign using the tagline “cheat legal” that suggested using the product was a way to cheat legally rather than using drugs or taking secret payments.

ME Bank joined the Storm last season on the back of the success super fund Host Plus had had sponsoring the team.

ME Bank chief executive Jamie McPhee said they were extremely disappointed to discover the Storm had rorted the salary cap by concealing $1.7 million worth of player payments over a five-year period.

“As an organisation ME Bank believes in the principles of strong governance, transparency, integrity, and fairness and we seek to ensure that all of our corporate and community partnerships uphold these same values,” Mr McPhee said.

Other sponsors were assessing their options today, with fashion company Kooga saying it would make a decision by this afternoon whether to dump the club.

Car maker Suzuki said it would await meetings with Storm management next week before acting, but said it had enjoyed a good relationship with the club over the last three years.

El D's article from above:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ut-of-storm-deal/story-e6frep5o-1225857481536

KooGa considering dumping Storm jersey manufacturing and sponsorship
MELBOURNE Storm players may be left with not even the jumper on their backs, with its uniform supplier considering dumping the disgraced NRL club.

Gold Coast-based KooGa, which also makes jumpers for the Newcastle Knights NRL club and recently secured the rights to make the Wallaby uniform, said it was 'extremely disappointed' at the salary cap scandal.

The company is discussing the Storm contract with its lawyers and will make a decision on whether to sever ties this afternoon, a spokeswoman said.

KooGa managing director Tyron Brant said in a statement his company was 'evaluating our position regarding our continued support for the club'.

"KooGa are shocked and extremely disappointed in the news that alleged former Melbourne Storm management have led the team and associated parties into such disrepute," he said.
"At this point in time, our thoughts are with those within the organisation that have always done the right thing, the fans and the associated sponsors and suppliers.

"Again, this is an absolute shock to myself and our entire organisation as we have fully supported and respected the Melbourne Storm club for the past two years."

KooGa is perhaps the most interesting of the lot - if they withdraw, the Storm don't have jerseys to play in or media wear etc... would another manufacturer pick up their contract or would we see them forfeit due to lack of jerseys?

Maybe the team can sit around Saturday night knitting themselves a set of new cleanskin jerseys:lol:

Kornstar

Coach
Gotta laugh at a bank talking about "integrity" and "fairness"....

As someone else said, big corporations in general talking about integrity and fairness is laughable.

None of them could care less about their staff, it is all a reaction based on what they perceive the public would want them to do.....

I couldn't care less who a business is associated with, if i want their product, i will buy/use it regardless.....