What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth must get their own NRL side: Tallis

Which should come first?

• Total voters

Iafeta

Referee
Ross believed quality players would jump at the chance to play for a Perth side.

"I’ve talked to a few boys and they’d all love to be over here playing football," Ross said.

"It’s a perfect environment. We are in the middle of winter now and it’s nice and warm.That’s something you dream about as a player to have a good environment.

"The boys, no matter what, would come over here to play.
I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances, but the Western Reds had a fairly poor roster.

They had Mark Geyer, Robbie Kearns, Matt Rodwell, Mick Potter, Brad Mackay and Barrie-Jon Mather as established players. Granted, they brought through some players that went onto good careers like Howe, and Matty Geyer, but it doesn't seem like they were really that hot in attracting talent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see Gordy backing the bid, in fact I have yet to hear any player or exec say its not a great idea. Even Gallop is coming around!

If the NRL gets its act together I can see both CC and Reds coming in for 2013.

One thing I will say is this is why it is important for the NRL to support teams playing games in new areas for the game. The more games, the more media, the higher profile, the more interest, the more people go to games and watch on TV etc etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances, but the Western Reds had a fairly poor roster.

They had Mark Geyer, Robbie Kearns, Matt Rodwell, Mick Potter, Brad Mackay and Barrie-Jon Mather as established players. Granted, they brought through some players that went onto good careers like Howe, and Matty Geyer, but it doesn't seem like they were really that hot in attracting talent.

It's not like we had a lot of time to build a squad up over time!

Iafeta

Referee
That comment was to defy the fallacy of Ben Ross who believes they'll have no trouble attracting players. If you are saying it would take time, would a Perth franchise be viable enough to have that time?

For me, Perth need to demonstrate a business model that vastly improves the revenue streams of what the Reds delivered. Having $10m debts having over a club's head is not good (though in fairness being laboured with teams flights to the joint is a bit over the top). Perhaps 3-4,000 per week extra through the turnstiles might have fixed that.

Not sure on Perth, not writing them off, just not sure.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm all for expansion.

But where is the talent going to come from?

The talent pool in the NRL is already looking fairly bleak.

Snuffles

Juniors
Perth must get their own side as long as they can sustain the losses financially that every club faces, with a few exceptions. So show us the money.

No point bringing in a new team with fanfare and bells and whistles if they will just fold after one or two lean seasons.

Central Coast is a no-brainer, although some people with no brains seem to have a problem with it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That comment was to defy the fallacy of Ben Ross who believes they'll have no trouble attracting players. If you are saying it would take time, would a Perth franchise be viable enough to have that time?

For me, Perth need to demonstrate a business model that vastly improves the revenue streams of what the Reds delivered. Having $10m debts having over a club's head is not good (though in fairness being laboured with teams flights to the joint is a bit over the top). Perhaps 3-4,000 per week extra through the turnstiles might have fixed that.

Not sure on Perth, not writing them off, just not sure.

There was some significant factors that created the financial mess, 1. The paying for all travel, at the time flights were ridiculously expensive to Perth from Eastern Coast and we had to pay for first team, and reserve gardes (50+ people every other weekend). Then the SL war and player salary costs which were ludicrous, then the whole SL fiasco and imminent threat of expolusion damaged the club massively and saw very promising crowds drop over the 3years, finally the deal at the WACA ground was poor.

Different time, different world now. We have a core supporter base of 15,000+ already with no team (much larger than in 1995), we have some massive companies based in Perth that would love to get more exposure in the East, travel is alot cheaper and I would expect the NRL to cover this anyway, we have a decent stadium which will be much more reasonable cost wide and attractive to fans and corporates.

The Western Force have made a profit every year since their inception. NRL is bigger than S14 so I see no reason we couldn't be financially viable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm all for expansion.

The 100 plus NRL players currently playing overseas or in other codes?
Plus (and its a big plus) we are already producing our own talent, unlike Melbourne it won't take us 12 years to have WA born and bred NRL 1st teamers coming through.

clarency

Juniors
I keep hearing this "it needs a better foundation... more interest in the area... THEN we can put a team in"... which to me doesn't make much sense. Perth is doing a great job moving forward in NRL popularity but the reality is that sometimes putting the team there in the first place is what generates interest.

It's not a one-way street.

NRL team <---> NRL interest

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the ME Bank Stadium a rectangular stadium?

Yes current capacity is 21,000. It's a nice stadium, good views from all parts and close to the action. Its biggest downside is there is very little undercover seating or decent corporate facilities. This budget announcment for $82mill will pay for a new main stand with plenty of corproates taking capacity to 25,000 and much more undercover seating. In the budget speech they said work will commence 2012 and that by July a plan will be released timelining a full stadium upgrade costing $260mill. It will be quite unique in that the intention is to keep a standing terraced end, giving it a very English RL stadium feel.

Artisits impression of the new stand:

MembersNewStand2-420x0.jpg

Big Pete

Referee
The 100 plus NRL players currently playing overseas or in other codes?
Plus (and its a big plus) we are already producing our own talent, unlike Melbourne it won't take us 12 years to have WA born and bred NRL 1st teamers coming through.

You'll perhaps snag about 5 or so.

The rest will come from other clubs further diluting the quality of Rugby League.

nqcowboy87

Bench
I'm all for expansion.

we have players looking to jump ship to union and a lot of players going over to the superleague, plus theres a bunch of talent running around in the nyc and qcup/nswcup, we have the players

gallagher

Juniors
The AFL have become a powerhouse by going to capitol cities rather than regional centres. We gotta do the same before we get too far behind. Plus....I live in Perth.

j0nesy

Bench
The NRL talent pool is thinning because of the salary cap IMHO. If a tight salary cap is to remain in place, then the more teams the merrier I say. It means that we should be able to keep more players in the NRL, and in the longer term should have a larger junior base for rugby league.

My leanings are for:
1. a team in Perth;
2. a 2nd Brisbane team; and
3. Sharks to relocate to the central coast.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Actually id like to see Manly culled to make way for the Central Coast Bears.

Northern Eagles.. and they just cut Norths out of the deal.

Dog act by manly scum. Cull them and bring in the CC Bears.

Use an original line or are you Rooneys brother?