What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay City

Juniors
That was based on the report from the ground staff predicting 10-12k.

I was questioned yesterday and this morning on todays crowd based on my initial prediction which indeed came true. No amount of highlight, bold, sizing or colouring will change the fact that Bluetongue was standing room only today.

Timmah, I like the facts and research you bring to this forum but you got a bit weak at the knees and predicted 16k after being on the money earlier. Only problem is you then had the hide to boast about getting it right earlier.

You need to cop that criticism on the chin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nature of the beast is that if you are going to show every game every round that they can't all be on a Sunday afternoon!

Bay City

Juniors
It is painfully obvious the NRL needs to investigate increasing the number of games on Sundays, and during daytime in general.

I guess it comes down to what is more profitable more bums on seats or bigger TV ratings.

MNF is a great example - terrible crowds, but Foxtel rates it's backside off. So does the league make more through any extra 5k+ crowd or the money they can negotiate due to ratings????

Hass

Juniors
Strong crowds make for a better product overall and help cement the sport's place in the community's psyche.

When you have big crowds at the ground it has a flow on effect in generating interest. More interest means more people switching on their tellies.

If you look after the overall strength of the game the TV ratings will look after themselves and the concessions you need to make to broadcasters like Nine and Fox will be minimal.

But my line of argument requires administrators to take a long-term view of the situation - something I doubt they're ready to do.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Strong crowds make for a better product overall and help cement the sport's place in the community's psyche.

When you have big crowds at the ground it has a flow on effect in generating interest. More interest means more people switching on their tellies.

If you look after the overall strength of the game the TV ratings will look after themselves and the concessions you need to make to broadcasters like Nine and Fox will be minimal.

But my line of argument requires administrators to take a long-term view of the situation - something I doubt they're ready to do.
If i switch on the tv and see a game with a poor crowd then i don't watch it as the lack of fans comes over bad on tv esp if it's an all seater ground.
If TV money is the major factor for the NRL and not live support then maybe they should make a huge reduction in ticket prices so we can see grounds 70%-100% full.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah, I like the facts and research you bring to this forum but you got a bit weak at the knees and predicted 16k after being on the money earlier. Only problem is you then had the hide to boast about getting it right earlier.

You need to cop that criticism on the chin.

As I said, Bluetongue Stadium had initially indicated and predicted a crowd of 10-12,000, something they grossly underestimated. Based on that report 16k seemed realistic. Not weak at the knees - acting on advice. The advice was wrong meaning my revised call was a bit off.

they should do NRL sunday like the NFL.

you have FNF, MNF no saturday and then 6 games on sunday. 3 kick off at 2, 3 kickoff at 3.

channel 9 shows 2 live. Fox shows em on viewers choice.

however if say cronulla is playing at home..the sutherland shire gets blacked out of the sharks game unless the crowd is big enough.

encourages people to go.

would work in newcastle, canberra etc.

just an idea

Brutus

Referee
I guess it comes down to what is more profitable more bums on seats or bigger TV ratings.

MNF is a great example - terrible crowds, but Foxtel rates it's backside off.

Well Fox Sports better start paying the game the money it deserves.

Goddo

Bench
^ and thats the biggest problem with the TV deal - pay tv have a rediculously good deal currently, it is virtually free.

user_nat

Coach
Should be around the 30k mark IMO.

Not much to base it off though, since the Roosters haven't been here in 5 years and the last MNF at Suncorp only got 20k (in very different circumstances).

AuDragon

Juniors
Should be around the 30k mark IMO.

Not much to base it off though, since the Roosters haven't been here in 5 years and the last MNF at Suncorp only got 20k (in very different circumstances).
Yeah, nothing like playing the Sharks after a 56-0 belting by Canberra to attract public to Monday night footy. :roll:

Unless the weather gets worse, I'll go with 35K. There's a bit of a buzz about this game...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adding another 5k to ground attendance won;t make any difference to TV viewers numbers. They just need to find a way to market Monday nights better, cheaper tickets, family night etc

In NFL Monday night Football gets hyped up as the big game of the week.

Teddyboy

First Grade
they should do NRL sunday like the NFL.

you have FNF, MNF no saturday and then 6 games on sunday. 3 kick off at 2, 3 kickoff at 3.

channel 9 shows 2 live. Fox shows em on viewers choice.

however if say cronulla is playing at home..the sutherland shire gets blacked out of the sharks game unless the crowd is big enough.

encourages people to go.

would work in newcastle, canberra etc.

just an idea
Thats another good idea which no doubt the NRL will ignore.
I could handle 3 days of TGG but 4 is 2 much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts