What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tahu

Eels Dude

Coach
A few months back, some of us on here posted that we thought Tahu might have some mental health problems. Now, I know that a lot of the media stories have been exaggerations, beat-ups and, in some cases, just downright misleading. But something`s up with him. Tahu may have some sort of mental illness, or he may simply be some sort of dick-head (such people do exist, unfortunately.) We don`t know. But regardless of whether he`s mentally ill or a dickhead, I think we should let him go. A first grade league side is not like an ordinary workplace where you can take sick leave or go back to work on 'light duties'. It`s a place where you have to perform at or near your peak practically all the time. It`s a very unique situation. It`s unfortunate and it`s sad, but if he can`t attend training like everyone else, then he should not be given until February - he should be let go now.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's mentally ill, stress and personal problems happen to everyone at some stage of their life but it doesn't mean that person has a mental illness. Agree on the rest of your post though.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think it's much, much simpler than tiptoeing around being politically correct and not judging or upsetting Tahu: is he 100% focused on the Parramatta Eels? No. Will he be 100% focused on the Parramatta Eels some time in the near future? Probably not, seeing as he wants off until February.

IMO it's easy - don't re-sign him. We can't afford to. If he's not focused, he's a passenger. We've already had the off-season from hell. We don't need more drama.

Tell him - either he shows up to training and shows 100% commitment or he leaves. It's a business, after all, and his mucking us around is not helping.

It may be harsh but IMO, from a business standpoint, it's the decision that most makes sense.

It doesn't mean the club can't help him if they do let him leave. By all means. But either stay or go. Now.

/rant

I think it's much, much simpler than tiptoeing around being politically correct and not judging or upsetting Tahu: is he 100% focused on the Parramatta Eels? No. Will he be 100% focused on the Parramatta Eels some time in the near future? Probably not, seeing as he wants off until February.

IMO it's easy - don't re-sign him. We can't afford to. If he's not focused, he's a passenger. We've already had the off-season from hell. We don't need more drama.

Tell him - either he shows up to training and shows 100% commitment or he leaves. It's a business, after all, and his mucking us around is not helping.

It may be harsh but IMO, from a business standpoint, it's the decision that most makes sense.

It doesn't mean the club can't help him if they do let him leave. By all means. But either stay or go. Now.

/rant

:thumn

For me, the irony is that it becomes a racial issue only when Aboriginality and surrounding issues and stigmas are used as an excuse, or to mitigate his role in the circumstances.

To be entirely impartial and to treat the man fairly and equitably like any other human being, this has to be put to the side, and his behaviour judged in context of how it falls short of the expectations placed upon him as a professional sportsman.

Parra Pride

Coach
783280-timana-tahu.jpg

Talks...Timana Tahu. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

TROUBLED centre Timana Tahu will meet with Parramatta coach Steve Kearney in the "next day or two" amid fresh speculation that he wants an extended rest from rugby league.

Tahu walked out of training more than a week ago - as revealed exclusively in The Daily Telegraph - with Eels officials expecting him back this week.

But friends of Tahu now say he wants to return to training in February. Tahu and Kearney will discuss the matter today or tomorrow.

It is unlikely that Kearney, looking to instil discipline and control at his new club, would allow a star to miss training for another eight weeks.

Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said the club was waiting to speak to Tahu. "I have though had contact with his management team and we will sit down in the next day or two and work out where we're at," Osborne said.

Parramatta may try to sign Greg Inglis should Tahu walk out and the NRL block Inglis' contract at South Sydney.

"We've got money, it's a matter of whether Greg wants to come here," Osborne said. "We'd love to have him here but I think the deal is all but done at Souths."

Tahu had a controversial year which included two racial vilification dramas.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-stephen-kearney/story-e6frexnr-1225964784664

Gronk

Staff member
Eels look to replace Tahu

By Nathan Ryan
3 December 2010 04:57PM EST

PARRAMATTA have begun making enquiries for a centre to fill the void left by wayward centre Timana Tahu however it won’t be Greg Inglis who replaces him should the 30-year-old be cut lose.

nospam23.com.au understands that the Eels have made enquiries about a number of players including those playing in the English Super League.
Greg Inglis has been a name touted as a possible replacement for Tahu however unlike the Brisbane deal which led the 2009 Golden Boot winner to South Sydney, Inglis has signed a contract although it is yet to be accepted by the NRL.
NRL Salary Cap auditor Ian Schubert is currently looking over the Test centre's third party agreements, with Souths expecting him to sign off on the deal next week.
"Things haven’t changed since we spoke last (Monday)," Richardson told nospam23.com.au on Friday.
"We hope to hear back from (Schubert) early next week."
Richardson said on Wednesday there is no reason why the NRL would find any problems with the deal.
"The third party deal is no different from that of Sam Burgess or Jarryd Haynes or Darren Lockyer in Brisbane," Richardson said.
So confident of the deal, Inglis’ manager is holidaying overseas and will not be back in the country until the December 15.
Tahu has contacted Eels CEO Paul Osborne and incumbent coach Stephen Kearney through his manager who has requested a leave of absence until February.
The erratic behaviour of Tahu has team mates and officials baffled, missing from training since last Monday after supposedly suffering car troubles.
Parramatta expected Tahu back at training this week but to no avail.
The dual international is still refusing to join his alleged victim and his father in conciliation after allegedly racially vilifying a 16-year-old boy.
The alleged incident occurred during a Koori knockout tournament where Northern United player Caleb Binge was allegedly insulted.
Earlier this year, Tahu left Origin camp after he took offence to Andrew Johns using the same words against Queensland star Greg Inglis.
The Human Rights Commission contacted the Binge family on Wednesday and informed them they had made contact with Tahu via his legal team who said Tahu would be writing a letter.
With the Human Rights Commission’s involvement, ARL chief executive Geoff Carr doesn’t expect to hear back from them until the matters resolved.
“When they (HRC) get involved in the process they do so, on the basis of strict privacy,” Carr said.
“It’s frustrating because if Timana engages in the Human Rights process they have a very good success rate for resolving these sorts of things.”
http://www.nospam23.com.au/articles/2010/12/03/eels-look-to-replace-tahu/

True EEL

Bench
Tahu either neds to commit fully now, or walk......or be dumped by Parra
and Parra and Tahu splitting seems like about a 90% chance right now to me

this needs to resolved ASAP......its getting ridiculous

Spot On

Coach
Tahu either neds to commit fully now, or walk......or be dumped by Parra
and Parra and Tahu splitting seems like about a 90% chance right now to me

this needs to resolved ASAP......its getting ridiculous

It was ridiculous on the day of the game v Newcastle when he lost the plot. I commend many of the posters here who have shown great diplomacy and patience with this bloke and have refused to unleash scathing attacks on one of your own. However, I can't see any reason to think he would be a great loss to your club/team. Many have pointed out that there aren't too many quality centres at Parra. I don't think you need anyone special to fill his place and play at the level he was at in 2010.

It is getting a 'joke' stage now - it would be better for both parties to part ways. We can get a player who is 100% committed and Tahu and sort out his issues without the pressure of football.

lingard

Coach
No matter what the story is with Tahu, it seems that in the next little while we won`t be talking about whether we should let him go or not - we`ll be asking, who should we buy to replace him?

lingard

Coach
Hmmmm, what if one of his kids has cancer?

If one of his kids has cancer, he should come out and say so. If it`s something else, then Osborne has a very big decision on his hands, and I wouldn`t envy him at all. But you would think that Tahu owes this club something by now. (i.e: a straight answer for his team mates and the fans.)

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
IMO Ben Smith is too valuable to our side now in the number 12. I'd go for Brien, Filiga or Atkins. Maybe even Walker.

Walker might fit in there. I don`t know Atkins well enough to comment. It doesn`t sound like Filiga is ready yet, but who knows? I`d be inclined to try to buy a good, well established centre to replace Tahu. Don`t know who would be on the market, though. Anyone know? Jonathon Wright would have been the logical replacement. They might even try to play Humble at centre, but I`m not sure that he`s big enough, and I think it would be a waste of his talent, anyway.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Like guy and want him to stay, but unless he has very very very major family issue he either returns to training or we let him go !!!!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Walker might fit in there. I don`t know Atkins well enough to comment. It doesn`t sound like Filiga is ready yet, but who knows? I`d be inclined to try to buy a good, well established centre to replace Tahu. Don`t know who would be on the market, though. Anyone know? Jonathon Wright would have been the logical replacement. They might even try to play Humble at centre, but I`m not sure that he`s big enough, and I think it would be a waste of his talent, anyway.

Agree we need to buy a centre but would also be whispering into the ears of Loco and Filga "boys we have a vacant centre spot available, train the house down and prove yourself in the trials the spot is yours"

parra pete

Referee
It doesn't concern me...but what I saw of Jacob Loko last season, he has a long, long, long, long way to go before he becomes a player of NRL standard. The kid is still at school. Big difference between schoolboy footy and NRL. He would be found out very very quickly.
'Many are called. few are chosen'.
The streets are paved with kids who were thrown in at the deep end before they were ready.
Just an observation from someone on the outside looking in...

It doesn't concern me...but what I saw of Jacob Loko last season, he has a long, long, long, long way to go before he becomes a player of NRL standard. The kid is still at school. Big difference between schoolboy footy and NRL. He would be found out very very quickly.
'Many are called. few are chosen'.
The streets are paved with kids who were thrown in at the deep end before they were ready.
Just an observation from someone on the outside looking in...

Just like Michael Lett?? Is he playing for the Raiders now?

caylo

Bench
Agree we need to buy a centre but would also be whispering into the ears of Loco and Filga "boys we have a vacant centre spot available, train the house down and prove yourself in the trials the spot is yours"

Reddy will be back into the NRL as soon as he is fit Filiga, Loko and Lasalo would be leading contenders for the other centre position if Tahu isnt here next year and IMO they are all big enough to physically cope with the NRL in the centres and if they link up with Burt out wide who is pretty experianced they should be fine IMO. They can do much worse than Wright, even thou he performed well in a few matches.

yy_cheng

Coach
Reddy will be back into the NRL as soon as he is fit Filiga, Loko and Lasalo would be leading contenders for the other centre position if Tahu isnt here next year and IMO they are all big enough to physically cope with the NRL in the centres and if they link up with Burt out wide who is pretty experianced they should be fine IMO. They can do much worse than Wright, even thou he performed well in a few matches.

I would've thought Walker would get first dibs at Tahu's jersey