What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tahu

parra_jesus

Juniors
source www.smh.com.au

TIMANA TAHU's strange year took another twist yesterday as he played a football match in the same side as Caleb Binge, the man he is accused of racially abusing in an Aboriginal knockout tournament.

The Sun-Herald can reveal that Tahu, granted leave from Parramatta training, travelled to Queensland yesterday to participate in a charity touch football game during a sports and cultural festival in Camp Hill, near Brisbane. Tahu reported to Whites Hill Reserve to represent Gemika's All Stars, alongside Binge. The NSW centre has strenuously denied abusing Binge, allegations that were made public last month by the Northern United player's father, coach Chris.
Tahu was unaware that Caleb Binge and his brother Chris Binge jnr would be present yesterday until just before kick-off. It is the first time the pair has come together since the racism allegations were levelled. The matter is yet to be resolved.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Tahu and the Binges put their differences behind them for the tournament, which was played without incident. On several occasions they passed the ball to each other.
The game is one of a series of fund-raising events for Gemika Tonga - the niece of Kangaroos centre Willie Tonga - who is suffering from a rare genetic disorder.
''He had no idea about [Binge's presence],'' said Tahu's wife, Kasey.
''It wasn't about that situation. He put all of that aside, 'T' was just up here for one thing and that's the charity of this little girl. It's the second fund-raiser he has attended for her.''
Asked when Tahu would return to Eels training, Kasey said: ''Hopefully the club will give him till after Christmas. They have given him a couple of weeks off, which is really good of them. He's OK, he's just tired. It's been a big year.''
Tahu joined several NRL stars including Manly forward George Rose, Titans utility Esi Tonga, Souths hooker Issac Luke and Roosters forward Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, who all leant their support to the cause. They posed for photographs and signed jerseys, which will be auctioned off to raise funds for Gemika.
The four-year-old suffers from Cornelia de Lange Syndrome, which affects one in 30,000 people, with just 600 recorded cases in Australia. The money raised will help Gemika - who can't speak and suffers from autism and epilepsy - to travel to the United States for treatment.
Gemika's mother, Gemma - who is the aunty of Caleb Binge - said she was pleased that the Binges and Tahu put aside their differences to assist her daughter.
''They were playing on the same side - one playing middle and the other playing link - and they were playing good footy, like boys do,'' she said. ''This isn't about dramas, [Binge] and Timana had no problems, they've been really great teammates, so it's good.''
It has been a turbulent year for Tahu. The former Wallaby gave up his treasured Blues jersey over comments from former Knights teammate Andrew Johns in a brave stance against racism. Since then he has had to contend with the fall-out from the Binge allegations, his omission from the Indigenous All Stars line-up and continued speculation about his position at Parramatta. The events have taken a toll on the 30-year-old, who was granted compassionate leave from pre-season training.
Eels CEO Paul Osborne said he intends to meet Tahu tomorrow to reassure him he is wanted at the club.
Tahu declined to comment yesterday, but has previously denied the racism allegations levelled against him. ''For me it's a laughable matter because it never happened and I've got nothing to hide,'' Tahu said in a recent interview.
''I'm upset that someone from your own race is making these accusations. It's silly.''

link http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/tahu-plays-alongside-his-racism-accuser-20101127-18bcq.html

True EEL

Bench
well i don't know what the go is with Tahu......that will nearly do me...???

and saying he wants until after christmas, will be after new year as well is a bit much, i'm sure other players are tried and stressed too, but he hardly played last year anyway because of some of this drama and he is asking a bit much to have all december off as well - i think he needs to make a decision - be an EEL or not......

Bigfella

Coach
Mate he was given a weeks' leave not placed on home detention.

Reactions like that are exactly why this non story keeps getting so much coverage.

strider

Post Whore
you've gotta wonder what his teammates are thinking - he needs time off away from everything with the family, but then goes to a charity game instead .... don't get me wrong, i'm all for him playing in a charity game .... but his teammates are slogging it out and what they are calling very tough pre-season training - i just wonder what they think when they find out

footy is a team game and we showed last year that a bunch of blokes runing around like they don't know eachother and don't care to play for eachother gets you f'n no where .... you don't want a core team member off doing his own thing while the others are slogging it out - i can't imagine it builds good team harmony

Maroubra Eel

Coach
To be fair to everyone just give them all time off until after Xmas. It's been a tough year, why train when you can be a shirker.

bartman

Immortal

Tahu and the Binges put their differences behind them for the tournament, which was played without incident. On several occasions they passed the ball to each other.
That puts all the speculation in perspective.

I've got no real dramas with the Tahu "situation".

He played well for us in the first 15 or so games (considering pretty much everyone else was playing like a plank of wood compared to late 2009 form), and well enough to get selected for origin.

I can understand his reaction to Joey's racism in origin camp, and support the stand he took.

My criticisms of Tahu would be the attitude he brought in his return Eels game against Newcastle, where he stupidly earnt himself a suspension and hence let his team down.

His comments about DA at the end of the year probably stem from DA letting him know that his attitude in the Knights game was stupid? Fair enough of DA...

Basically imo it all comes down to Tahu not reacting well with all the media intrusion and speculation after the Origin camp incident. And who would react well to the media crap that's been dished out on him, as it seemed everyone in the rugby league boys club but Ossie (and credit to him!) reacted against Tahu's anti-racism stand.

This kid and the counter racism claim is a non-story, and imo the media boys club are just dishing it to Tahu because they don't want to admit the racism among other popular league characters (like Joey, who was "outed" by Tahu).

He played well for us last year up until the origin troubles, I have no dramas with him having time off pre-Christmas training if it helps him prepare for a good 2011. He's clearly keeping in shape if he's playing a charity game, and if playing alongside this kid involved in the racism accusation helps put an end to it, then all the better :thumn.

bartman

Immortal
Did you actually read the first half of the article?

Or just the "controversial" rehashed quotes at the bottom... :crazy:

hybrideel

Bench
i've got no dramas in him playing in a charity event. And i'll hold my judgement until Timana comes out himself and asks to not come back until after the new year as it was his wife saying it, not him. However if he does that'll do me with the guy. They have just had 2 1/2 months off. If he was given until after the new year that would be 4 months. Name another job where you can only do half of your contracted work due to injury and suspension and then get a 4 month annual leave. I really hope he has a think about the rest of the team slogging it out at preseason training and comes back next week like he should

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I say "Good on Timana Tahu"...Life has to be bigger than professional sport.

This is true. It would still be nice if he went to training though. I can see it causing some friction with his teammates. They are there slogging it out and he is putting his feet up. He has just had the last 3 months off. How much rest does he need.

Jason70

Juniors
So all of you who want the club 2 let him go, have you had a look at our centre depth for next year. Inu and Wright have gone and Reddy is a doubtful season starter. And pls dont say Loko, he is only 17.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Juston Horo pretty much plays centre anyway because he runs onto the ball out wide and causes some damage

Justin Horo > Reddy/Tahu/Inu/Wright

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Inglis would be a good replacement.

Hopefully Tahu realizes he will be having a destabilizing effect on team morale and does the right thing and quits the eels.

hilltop hood

Juniors
So all of you who want the club 2 let him go, have you had a look at our centre depth for next year. Inu and Wright have gone and Reddy is a doubtful season starter. And pls dont say Loko, he is only 17.

I don't care about our centre depth next year as long as they play and act with the dignity expected of parra boys!