What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.I want Wayne Bennett, reveals Nathan Tinkler

Serc

First Grade
Hot off the rumour mill: Bennett is Knights bound
Brad Walter
March 25, 2011

Nathan Tinkler's anticipated takeover of Newcastle and reports that Phil Gould has been offered a role as St George Illawarra coaching director has sparked speculation that Wayne Bennett will quit the Dragons to take charge of the Knights next season. Despite the widespread belief within the game after Ivan Henjak's sacking as Brisbane coach that Bennett would return to the Broncos next season, some at the club are now nervous that Tinkler will lure him to Newcastle. ''I don't know if it is true or not but Tinkler is supposed to have said to Wayne, 'If Russell Crowe is offering you $1 million [to coach South Sydney], I will give you $2 million,''' a well-connected Broncos source said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-bennett-is-knights-bound-20110324-1c8lc.html

Great source you have on that one Mr Brad Walter! He isn't even sure if it is true which makes him in the same boat as the rest of us and he is a well placed source at the Broncs.

fezza07

Juniors
Good point, and hopefully this is the case.

I'm not saying i disagree with what tinkler is saying, however i don't know that continually criticising our squad is necessary or helpful.

You are right he hasn't named and shamed players but he has implied enough by saying our players arent good enough etc.

If you read it properly, you'll see that he was referring to the squad as Wayne Bennett would see it. Because, Wayne wants a top notch roster that he believes he can win an NRL PREMIERSHIP with. If you don't get that, then it's fans like you that will stop Tinkler from taking over

TSG all the way

Noname36

First Grade
If you read it properly, you'll see that he was referring to the squad as Wayne Bennett would see it. Because, Wayne wants a top notch roster that he believes he can win an NRL PREMIERSHIP with. If you don't get that, then it's fans like you that will stop Tinkler from taking over

TSG all the way

Actually I agree with Rolla 100%. I don't think coming out and saying that the roster is woeful is going to entice Bennett, especially when our squad really isn't that bad at all. Replace a couple of nuffies like Ciraldo, McDonnell, etc with quality prop and centre, and we're easily top 4 material. Bennett would be able to fix up those little problems easily.

Rolla

Juniors

TSG all the way
Il spare us both mate.

Read the context of the quote you picked out, particularly my posts surrounding it. Will save me explaining to you what was meant. If for some reason you still can't wrap your head around my point, i will then spell it out for you. This will save you ranting on telling me what i do and don't get, looking like a twat. I'm happy for you to disagree with me but at least disagree with the point im making, not some other point you seem to have taken out of it through choice or misenterpretation.

fezza07

Juniors
Fair enough comment actually mate, I don't think people like Housten, Paterson etc would feel too great about what was said. But what the heck is taking the board so long? Scratch them both in my view, especially if they're just trying to save their own hides

What cons come with Tinkler taking over?

Rolla

Juniors
Yeah, to be honest i just want it to be done so we can move forward. I am sick of everybody trying to figure out what is going on behind closed doors and what the results would be. I can't wait for this thing to go through so we can concentrate on the footy and the future.

I see Tinkler offering Bennett the chance to move his family here. If Benny wants to go to the broncs for family reasons Tinks can ease that issue by setting them up for a few years. The storm did exactly that to keep Bellamy. He lived away from his family for a couple of years.

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
I see Tinkler offering Bennett the chance to move his family here. If Benny wants to go to the broncs for family reasons Tinks can ease that issue by setting them up for a few years. The storm did exactly that to keep Bellamy. He lived away from his family for a couple of years.

Where did you see this exactly mate? was it in one of todays papers?

Bicey_18

Bench
http://covers.ruralpress.com/frontpages/258/50262.pdf

Looks like its down to 2....

Brisbane or Newcastle

If the Tinkler deal gets through.... I personally think he will come here. I know most are saying he will go back home to Brisbane but I think the challenge of coaching 3 different team to premierships plus Tinkler's cash will be enough to lure Bennett here and what a coup that would be..

Rusty

Juniors
I wonder if Lockyer's retirement will influence Bennett's decision to move back to Brissy and mentor Lockyer as his assistant coach. What a coincidence that Lockyer announces his retirement a 5 or so days before the Tinkler vote.

Rusty

Juniors
Ok here's my theory: Bennett's announcing his leaving St George today and Tinkler will announce his coaching us tomorrow evening during the historical celebrations.

:D

P.S Why is Bennett announcing he's leaving St George today? One day before the BIG decision?! Hmmm it's a conspiracy.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't know. Before I was pretty confident he may come here, but the more time goes on, the more I think he's back to Brisbane. Lockyer just retired. It all points to Lockyer -> assistant coach, Boyd -> 5/8 to me. We may even hear the announment today.

Adsy

Juniors
Ok here's my theory: Bennett's announcing his leaving St George today and Tinkler will announce his coaching us tomorrow evening during the historical celebrations.

:D

P.S Why is Bennett announcing he's leaving St George today? One day before the BIG decision?! Hmmm it's a conspiracy.

And then the members vote against the Tinkler deal and Bennett is left without a job...

Can't say this Lockyer retirement has helped us either. Even though he was probably always going to retire at the end of the season. It now gives Brisbane management more time to work a coaching mentorship between the two of them.

Latest posts