What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Adsy

Juniors
Very interesting words from Palmer that we will be bringing more 'Snowdens' in and letting go of more 'Patersons'...

Alex28

Coach
This isn't a Khoder Nasser thing - this is a Cory Paterson thing. He hasn't performed to the level that a $300,000 a year player is expected to.

Adsy

Juniors
Pretty sure it was reported when Patto signed his contract 2 years ago that it was for $280,000 per year.

Nuffy

Bench
300k a year for his level of performance, the bloke shouldn't be surprised, he should be amazed that the gravy train lasted so long.

Thats outrageous money for his efforts.................

Its means that we are likely to get Snowden for little bit more than we are paying Cory, wow, just wow.

Seems a good deal.

That said, I think that Bennett could have turned him around and I would have preferred to keep him over a Ciraldo, but it would never happen and shouldn't at 300k a year.

Last edited:
Unwanted Paterson gutted: Shocked Cory shown door by Knights

BY BRETT KEEBLE
17 May, 2011 04:00 AM

SHATTERED back-rower Cory Paterson pictured himself as a Knight for life.

The two-time Indigenous All Stars representative, who was contracted at the Knights until the end of 2012, has been denied that dream after being told to find a new club for next season.

Knights coach Rick Stone and strategic development manager Keith Onslow broke the news to Paterson at a meeting last Friday afternoon, though it appears certain they were acting on the instruction of incoming coach Wayne Bennett.

Paterson, who missed Newcastle’s 25-16 loss to the Warriors at Ausgrid Stadium on Sunday due to bone bruising in his knee, told the Newcastle Herald last night that he was shocked at being told he would have to leave his adopted home town.

‘‘I always wanted to play here my whole career,’’ said Paterson, who was born in Perth but joined the Knights as a 16-year-old in 2004.

‘‘Anyone who knows me knows I’m a massive supporter of the Knights Old Boys and the whole club culture here – one town, one team – I’m all for that and that’s what I love about the place.

‘‘It’s my home. It’s where every major significant thing in my life has happened.
‘‘My son [Jax] was born here, I got married [to wife Sarah] here, I made my debut here.

‘‘Everything major in my life has happened here in Newcastle, but I suppose from here we assess a few things in the next few weeks and just go from there.’’

The 23-year-old impact forward said he had been in regular contact with his manager, Khoder Nasser, who was now in the process of trying to find him a new NRL club.

Paterson, who represented Australian Schoolboys from St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton in 2005 and has played 77 NRL games for the Knights since his debut against the Dragons in 2007, believed the decision was not personal.

He held no grudge against Bennett, who will replace Stone at the end of this season.

The Newcastle Herald has been told Paterson’s contract is worth close to $300,000 a season and the Knights, who have signed NSW and Australian prop Kade Snowden for the next four years and are trying to recruit Australian and Queensland Origin stars Darius Boyd and Nate Myles, considered Paterson too expensive to keep on their books.

‘‘I don’t know him [Bennett] personally and he doesn’t know me personally, so it’s not a personal thing. I think it’s more of a business thing, but I don’t really know,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve spoken to Khoder every day since Friday, so we’ll wait and see what happens.’’

Acting Knights chief executive Troy Palmer denied that the decision flew in the face of club owner Nathan Tinkler’s mantra of putting local talent first.

‘‘Yes, we’ll always look for local talent and Newcastle talent ... but we’ll also look towards building a premiership-winning team for Newcastle Knights supporters,’’ Palmer said.

‘‘We’ve got to build a successful roster that works within the salary cap and if there’s an opportunity for Cory to secure a longer-term contract elsewhere, we’ve given him permission to pursue that.

‘‘You want to keep everyone but you can’t, and the salary cap means you’re always looking ahead. Cory is contracted, and we will obviously honour that, but we’re giving him an opportunity to secure a longer-term contract elsewhere.

‘‘There will be others over the next couple of weeks as we look to build our roster, and there will be some people we bring in that we’ll be applauded for, like the Snowdens, and there will be others that we’ll let go and we might cop it, like the Patersons, but we’ve got a salary cap to work within and it’s all about getting the best bang for our buck, I guess.’’

Stone made it clear that Paterson would not be the first Knights player to be told to investigate other options.

‘‘I don’t need to talk on behalf of Wayne and I can’t really talk on behalf of Wayne. I’m the coach who’s coaching here at the moment and there’s an incoming coach who’s obviously making some decisions, and at the end of the day these blokes have been given the opportunity to explore some avenues elsewhere,’’ said Stone, who is yet to finalise his own future as Bennett’s assistant for the next four years.

‘‘That’s not saying they won’t be at the club next year, but obviously it’s probably a fair indication of the incoming coach.’’

Stone said all players had to remain focused on their preparation for games, and play and train to the best of their ability irrespective of uncertainty about their futures.

Paterson said he was unlikely to be fit to play for the Knights against the Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday but he was determined to finish the year playing at his peak.

‘‘This group of players, blokes like Mullo [Jarrod Mullen] and Houso [Chris Houston], they’re all my best mates,’’ he said.

‘‘They’re like brothers to me and I’ll be ripping in for them like nothing else.

‘‘Same goes for the fans and everyone who has supported me over the years, and if this is the last year that I play for the Knights, then I’m going to do them all proud. Same goes for the coaching staff who are here and the club in general, who have stuck by me, I’ll be doing my best.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...hown-door-by-knights/2164832.aspx?storypage=0

Its official.

This years a write off, no way a club can be successful with this hanging over players heads.

Edit: Since Hagan took over, and again when stone took over we just re-signed players as long as they wanted to stick around its good too see that once again players are going to be based on their performance and not their bloody likeability.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
As a non-local supporter I really am taken aback by the "We want locals only in our team" attitude of what seems a fair number of our fellow Knights fans.

Where is this coming from when our club was built and had its most successful years when at least half the squad were non-locals. I dont see these same people whinging about the likes of Sarge, Kennedy, Kemp, Schuster, O'Davis, McDougall, etc

aqua_duck

Coach
It's hard enough fir a coach to win as it is but to set parameters for him is ridiculous. Local or not if you don't perform then you're out

Alex28

Coach
As a non-local supporter I really am taken aback by the "We want locals only in our team" attitude of what seems a fair number of our fellow Knights fans.

Where is this coming from when our club was built and had its most successful years when at least half the squad were non-locals. I dont see these same people whinging about the likes of Sarge, Kennedy, Kemp, Schuster, O'Davis, McDougall, etc
Exactly right JW. The "local's only" thing has always been a myth. It has never ever been the case. We have always relied on some imports in the team, and always will.

aqua_duck

Coach
300k a year for his level of performance, the bloke shouldn't be surprised, he should be amazed that the gravy train lasted so long.

Thats outrageous money for his efforts.................

Its means that we are likely to get Snowden for little bit more than we are paying Cory, wow, just wow.

Seems a good deal.

That said, I think that Bennett could have turned him around and I would have preferred to keep him over a Ciraldo, but it would never happen and shouldn't at 300k a year.

Obviously everyone would like to keep Pato ahead of Ciro, however Pato is on 5 times as much as Ciro

Haffa

Considering what Mark T gets for more productive efforts over the last two years 280k is huge overs. Would Zeb or House be getting that much?

Joker's Wild

Coach
I doubt it

We offered good coin to Cory because he was being chased by other clubs (Bulldogs from memory) and at the time he was going great guns.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think any if our forwards would be on that much. The only blokes on more would be Kurt and Jarrod

EdLondon

Juniors
Just out of interest what happens if this gives him the kick in the pants he needs and he has a massive rest of the season. It would be funny if he decided to just stick around for the remaining season in his contract.

aqua_duck

Coach
Costigan would be up there

Costigan is on unders he signed early last year which was before he killed it in the finals, from memory he's in about $650k over 3 years which is unders for a premiership winning forward with half a dozen Qld caps under his belt, what has Pato achieved so far?

League_God

Juniors
just on Nev. Was very impressed with his first full game in knights colours. He'll only get better once he gets a few matches under his belt. A forward pack with Snowden, Costigan, Taia, House, Myles, Tui, Edwards, Cook/O'Donnell would be premiership-worthy amazing.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
i don't see why this is a surprise. im not going to lose sleep over it. it's been years since we saw anything worthwhile from him. was one of my favourite Knights in his debut and sophomore years. has slid down that list into obscurity since. hopefully he makes something of himself somewhere, it would be a gigantic waste of talent otherwise. he seems to have a pea heart.

clear the decks, more established and genuine talent is coming.

You missed the first half of last season did ya, when he was streets ahead in the KOTW? :oops:

Latest posts