What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

I'll echo the thoughts of many on here and elsewhere... not "why Pato?", but "why Pato before Kaufusi, Tolar, Karawana, Southern, Ciraldo, McDonnell, etc?"

If you are clearing deadwood, don't you start with the deadest first?

Matt23

Staff member
There were plenty of people up in arms over this on the Knights facebook page. A few memorable quotes were -
" You can't let Cory go, he's our best player!"
" Why would you swap Cory for Myles, thats crazy"
" Get of Edwards instead, he can't tackle!"
" I fear for the future of the club now Tinkler is in control"

I just had to chuckle.

If there saying that on Facebook, I shudder to think what there saying over at the "other place"

Rod

Bench
I'll echo the thoughts of many on here and elsewhere... not "why Pato?", but "why Pato before Kaufusi, Tolar, Karawana, Southern, Ciraldo, McDonnell, etc?"

I would guess that it's the money Pato is on compared to the others. They need to confirm he's going elsewhere to get other potential signings sorted.

Jubes

Juniors
He's a comment from the story on foxsports.com

"Oh No! Corey is Mr.Fleixible and rescues the team at stages when the Knights are Struggling. I tell you what, get rid of Mullen. He does not take charge of the team and the game when it really matters. Mullen makes Gidley over work himselve. Corey stays, Mullen goes. My vote."

That says it all really.

Johns Magic

Referee

Contract size obviously...

Matt23

Staff member
Watch them go off on the FB site if/when Tolar and the other nuffies are told to look elsewhere, emo's the lot of them.

Burwood

Bench

You'd have to think Bennett is trying to maximise the cap space available in 2012. Paterson is a good player, and with a couple of clubs in the market for a back-rower, you'd hope that Newcastle won't be funding his move elsewhere under their own cap. If you offload Kaufusi, or Tolar, there is a good chance that they wouldn't be able to get their full contract value and we'd be paying for them in some capacity.

The only thing worse than paying for Tolar and Kaufusi to play for you is paying them not to play for you. :)

Jobdog

Live Update Team

This.

Oh and if Pato is going so we can accommodate merkin Newton (among others I know), the club are kidding themselves. That piece of shit deserves nothing good that may possibly be coming from this club in the near future. He's a peaheart who only likes it when the going is easy. f**k you Clint, stay in England.

Alex28

Coach

When you are trying to clear some space on the salary cap, you get rid of the expensive deadwood first. Then you see exactly who you need to get rid of once you have bought the cattle you need.

Spot On

Coach
Watch them go off on the FB site if/when Tolar and the other nuffies are told to look elsewhere, emo's the lot of them.

Wow. The surprising thing for me is not letting Patto look elsewhere but people who genuinely believe he has shown enough to warrant being kept over potential purchases such as Nate Myles. I feel sorry for those supporters who supported Tinklers bid and cheered the Bennett appointment with massive grins on their faces and are now going to bang on about Tinkler breaking his "locals first" slogan and that the Patto situation is a "really tough decision".

You can't have 25 local juniors making up your NRL squad and quite frankly this isn't a hard decision. Hmm, let's see, do you want to maximise your chances of winning a comp or not? Myles for Patto is a no brainer.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
The thing is Pato is on a big contract but can be shopped around, the nuffies are on a coke and a pie and will be hard to get rid of

Liam

Juniors
"bench was all second graders yestie. What the hell does southern and mika have to do to get a go??"
"u joking patersons been 1 of best forwards in first 5 games , hes a gr8 player and he may of came from wa but came few our joniour grades, we buying playlers from other clubs, theres a heap of other players that sould of went before cory , how can u say hes crap , may be he needed a gr8 coach to push him in right derection ..... all we seam to do is dump our loyal players ,,, f#@k tinkler and bennett if this is how we are gping to run in future,,,,end of the day if u agree with me or not i think fans sould get to last game and send cory of hes been gr8 for your club at least deserves a gr8 send of"

I love the Knights Facebook.

Spot On

Coach
"bench was all second graders yestie. What the hell does southern and mika have to do to get a go??"
"u joking patersons been 1 of best forwards in first 5 games , hes a gr8 player and he may of came from wa but came few our joniour grades, we buying playlers from other clubs, theres a heap of other players that sould of went before cory , how can u say hes crap , may be he needed a gr8 coach to push him in right derection ..... all we seam to do is dump our loyal players ,,, f#@k tinkler and bennett if this is how we are gping to run in future,,,,end of the day if u agree with me or not i think fans sould get to last game and send cory of hes been gr8 for your club at least deserves a gr8 send of"

I love the Knights Facebook.

Oh my God! Now that is piss funny.

Burwood

Bench
One of my hopes when we signed Bennett as a coach was that he'd have the pulling power to sign 2-3 big name players (ex-locals like Snowden or ring-ins like Boyd/Myles) to fill holes in the squad. In my opinion, when you do fill those holes with quality players, you then look at your local players to play around them.

We desperately need strength up front and as Snowden and Myles fit this description perfectly I am more than happy if we sign them both. Boyd is no doubt a quality player, but not the difference between winning the premiership or missing out. I'd only be worried about Tinkler's "local" pledge if we started signing more fringe first-grade nuffies like Southern, Ciraldo or Kaufusi.

aqua_duck

Coach
Tinkler's local pledge has to go through Bennett. I hate it when armchair critics feel like they're more qualified to run the team than a bloke who's widely regarded as the greatest of all time

slotmachine

First Grade
The thing is Pato is on a big contract but can be shopped around, the nuffies are on a coke and a pie and will be hard to get rid of

The other issue is that you need to have a top 25 and if you punt someone like Ciraldo who would be on a base contract + incentives you still need to replace them with somebody.

As such, you don't get any extra room under the cap.

Alex28

Coach
The Newcastle Herald is suggesting he's on $300,000 per season. He's provided poor value for money over the last few seasons. No shock he was the first to be tapped on the shoulder.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
The Newcastle Herald is suggesting he's on $300,000 per season. He's provided poor value for money over the last few seasons. No shock he was the first to be tapped on the shoulder.
I got no idea why he joined team Mundane, whoever negotiated that contract for him is a genius

Johns Magic

Referee
Unwanted Paterson gutted: Shocked Cory shown door by Knights

BY BRETT KEEBLE
17 May, 2011 04:00 AM

SHATTERED back-rower Cory Paterson pictured himself as a Knight for life.

The two-time Indigenous All Stars representative, who was contracted at the Knights until the end of 2012, has been denied that dream after being told to find a new club for next season.

Knights coach Rick Stone and strategic development manager Keith Onslow broke the news to Paterson at a meeting last Friday afternoon, though it appears certain they were acting on the instruction of incoming coach Wayne Bennett.

Paterson, who missed Newcastle’s 25-16 loss to the Warriors at Ausgrid Stadium on Sunday due to bone bruising in his knee, told the Newcastle Herald last night that he was shocked at being told he would have to leave his adopted home town.

‘‘I always wanted to play here my whole career,’’ said Paterson, who was born in Perth but joined the Knights as a 16-year-old in 2004.

‘‘Anyone who knows me knows I’m a massive supporter of the Knights Old Boys and the whole club culture here – one town, one team – I’m all for that and that’s what I love about the place.

‘‘It’s my home. It’s where every major significant thing in my life has happened.
‘‘My son [Jax] was born here, I got married [to wife Sarah] here, I made my debut here.

‘‘Everything major in my life has happened here in Newcastle, but I suppose from here we assess a few things in the next few weeks and just go from there.’’

The 23-year-old impact forward said he had been in regular contact with his manager, Khoder Nasser, who was now in the process of trying to find him a new NRL club.

Paterson, who represented Australian Schoolboys from St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton in 2005 and has played 77 NRL games for the Knights since his debut against the Dragons in 2007, believed the decision was not personal.

He held no grudge against Bennett, who will replace Stone at the end of this season.

The Newcastle Herald has been told Paterson’s contract is worth close to $300,000 a season and the Knights, who have signed NSW and Australian prop Kade Snowden for the next four years and are trying to recruit Australian and Queensland Origin stars Darius Boyd and Nate Myles, considered Paterson too expensive to keep on their books.

‘‘I don’t know him [Bennett] personally and he doesn’t know me personally, so it’s not a personal thing. I think it’s more of a business thing, but I don’t really know,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve spoken to Khoder every day since Friday, so we’ll wait and see what happens.’’

Acting Knights chief executive Troy Palmer denied that the decision flew in the face of club owner Nathan Tinkler’s mantra of putting local talent first.

‘‘Yes, we’ll always look for local talent and Newcastle talent ... but we’ll also look towards building a premiership-winning team for Newcastle Knights supporters,’’ Palmer said.

‘‘We’ve got to build a successful roster that works within the salary cap and if there’s an opportunity for Cory to secure a longer-term contract elsewhere, we’ve given him permission to pursue that.

‘‘You want to keep everyone but you can’t, and the salary cap means you’re always looking ahead. Cory is contracted, and we will obviously honour that, but we’re giving him an opportunity to secure a longer-term contract elsewhere.

‘‘There will be others over the next couple of weeks as we look to build our roster, and there will be some people we bring in that we’ll be applauded for, like the Snowdens, and there will be others that we’ll let go and we might cop it, like the Patersons, but we’ve got a salary cap to work within and it’s all about getting the best bang for our buck, I guess.’’

Stone made it clear that Paterson would not be the first Knights player to be told to investigate other options.

‘‘I don’t need to talk on behalf of Wayne and I can’t really talk on behalf of Wayne. I’m the coach who’s coaching here at the moment and there’s an incoming coach who’s obviously making some decisions, and at the end of the day these blokes have been given the opportunity to explore some avenues elsewhere,’’ said Stone, who is yet to finalise his own future as Bennett’s assistant for the next four years.

‘‘That’s not saying they won’t be at the club next year, but obviously it’s probably a fair indication of the incoming coach.’’

Stone said all players had to remain focused on their preparation for games, and play and train to the best of their ability irrespective of uncertainty about their futures.

Paterson said he was unlikely to be fit to play for the Knights against the Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday but he was determined to finish the year playing at his peak.

‘‘This group of players, blokes like Mullo [Jarrod Mullen] and Houso [Chris Houston], they’re all my best mates,’’ he said.

‘‘They’re like brothers to me and I’ll be ripping in for them like nothing else.

‘‘Same goes for the fans and everyone who has supported me over the years, and if this is the last year that I play for the Knights, then I’m going to do them all proud. Same goes for the coaching staff who are here and the club in general, who have stuck by me, I’ll be doing my best.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...hown-door-by-knights/2164832.aspx?storypage=0

My gut says he will join the Storm for some reason. Not sure why but it makes sense. Nasser is getting his karma back in a way. He isn't dictating the terms this time and I would be betting quietly Nasser would try to get Cory to leave the club regardless next season cos we aren't a big time enough event. A big wake up call to all players who think their ego can come before the team. This club owes him nothing whatsoever and he has thankfully realised that business is business even when you are managed by a sycophantic manager and his amoralistic prize fighter.

Last edited: