What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Grant to Wests Tigers

ed612313

Juniors
The defence is that bad you can't tell......
Absolutely pathetic tackling.
and as for saying club rugby is the same standard as the State Cup?? State Cup is ahead of it easily...

Borat.

Juniors
The defence is that bad you can't tell......
Absolutely pathetic tackling.
and as for saying club rugby is the same standard as the State Cup?? State Cup is ahead of it easily...

I think it has been stated several times the d is piss poor- but he is damn quick -

dumpy

Juniors
I sat through an entire game of rugby union last weekend to have a look at the tigers new signing John Grant and must remember to never torture myself again. John Grant is very tall, between 105kg-110kg, played left side, took high ball with ease, stayed in position, a long strider and can pass the ball. The opposition was very poor and league opponents will not afford Grant easy opportunities. Tackles OK by union standard (just above ballroom dancing - different game), leg drive needs improving and appeared a little timid on occasions. Commentators were enthusiastic and kept talking up his prospect and move to league. One question - why has he not been given a go to higher grades or is it similar to the tigers as to whether you are a pet or not.

The Rosco

Bench
Hey there Dumpy,
I'm so sorry to hear that you had to sit through a game of union. How many times did you say to yourself " why the F did you kick it ???" :lol:. You have my sympathies.
Anyway . . . it's a given that club rugby is down many rungs compared to NRL . . . BUT..... Yes, he has a stride of about 3.9 metres ( well, maybe) ;-), he can bust a tackle quite well, has a reach of about 3.9 metres too, and is quick as lightning over the ground.
Give him an off-season of good coaching(or as good as we can give him), surround him with our players, and I reckon he is going to turn into an astute buy for us.

Think Pat Richards . . . but quicker, longer striding and stronger running. And quicker.

Tiger05

First Grade
Think Pat Richards . . . but quicker, longer striding and stronger running. And quicker.

I'd be happy with that. From the looks of him he will be able to play but time will tell.

As for dumpy watching union. I do try and watch it every so often but it just kills me.

I'd add that the players in union can be phenomenal. It is the game that is boring. Also there are 5 top level union teams in Australia so not getting picked in one of those teams is not like not making it into the NRL. The average Super league player I would think is a lot better than the average NRL player.

moller

Juniors
My old man is a big Rugby man - one of MOTH's favourite fellas in fact. Anyway, he rates him very highly, was very surprised that he never got a call up to one of the Super Rugby franchises.
Has all the tools to make it in the NRL, just needs to put in the hard work. Fingers crossed he makes a proper impact at Concord.

Mao the Tiger

Juniors
I have also heard he is a bit soft on the confrontational side so he will need to harden up, I hope he develops well he could be great, the new Paul Hoff ?

Tiger Crazy

Juniors
The difference between Shute shield and NRL is ginormous We have 5 rugby franchises in this country and he could not make 1 of them
Will be extremely surprised to see him crack it into first grade

Borat.

Juniors
The difference between Shute shield and NRL is ginormous We have 5 rugby franchises in this country and he could not make 1 of them
Will be extremely surprised to see him crack it into first grade

He onlys has to be better than Beau Ryan or Utai.... not a big ask....

He onlys has to be better than Beau Ryan or Utai.... not a big ask....
Bit harsh on Beau. He is a first grade standard winger without much class, though. Probably woudn't stand out too much even in country league.

Big question marks on John Grant, a guy who can't get a Super rugby contract. Shute Shield is truly horrible quality. I had the displeasure of walking down the road and watching the Galloping Greens the other week....never again. A whole lot of high-brow c*ck smokers hardly even watching but cheering on a really second-rate game.

blukablu

Juniors
Apparently he got offered a contract with the Brumbies hours after signing with the Tigers and a trial with the Force sometime after signing and before the annocment. So he can't be too bad.

DanOz

Juniors
Bit harsh on Beau. He is a first grade standard winger without much class, though. Probably woudn't stand out too much even in country league.

Big question marks on John Grant, a guy who can't get a Super rugby contract. Shute Shield is truly horrible quality. I had the displeasure of walking down the road and watching the Galloping Greens the other week....never again. A whole lot of high-brow c*ck smokers hardly even watching but cheering on a really second-rate game.

As we have seen time and again, most Union guys dont transition well, I hope he is the exception.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Dan - I think it depends on the position.

If all the guy has to do is learn a few densive skills, catch the ball and run straight and fast - it cant be that difficult.

There are a few Rugger players I would LOVE to see at the Tiges. Adam Ashley-Cooper would look great in our number three, Digby Ioane would also look fantastic in our back line.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Interesting reading on the Wests Tigers official website about Grant. Says how he has put on additional muscle etc etc. He is a big unit at 105kg and 6 foot four or so. I know there is a lot involved in converting from basically park union to the highest level league.

Has anyone been to training and seen how this guy is progressing? Sounds promising but only time will tell.

You really have to get excited about a big fast winger when you think how slow (and small some might say) our wingers have been the last few years.

As I say, anyone seen this guy in action with his training?

drago brelli

Bench
Didn't you ever see him playing on the wing for Eastwood. He's big and fast but he will be put under all sorts of pressure in rugby league. He was on the end of a very good back line at Eastwood all he had to do was finish off the backline movement. You're right time will tell.

The Rosco

Bench
On the right track drago . . . he IS fast. One of the fastest in the NRL.
He can step, run, fend, reach and leap very well.

Time will tell, but if he can be refined by some good coaching, he could turn out to be the find of the season.

Have a look at his you tube clips. . . YES it is only club rugby . . YES the opposition are only garden variety . . . but look at the natural talent, physical attributes and raw skills that can be perfected. This guy is starting at the bottom, but has got such an advantage over most new recruits.

Not that I'm a tipsters A'hole, but I'm tipping big things for this bloke ! :D