What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Grant to Wests Tigers

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I tend to wonder what 'scouts' are doing and thinking when they recommend players to this (and any other) club. I have to wonder what value there is with a guy who is a club rugby player, especially one with a build that doesn't appear to be conducive to the rigours of league, certainly not week in and week out.

Didn't we try an 'experiment' years ago with Darren Clark? This guy might be fast point to point but that doesn't transpose to being a good player.

Has anyone even seen this guy play Union? Maybe there is something there I am missing (maybe he has a background in league when younger) but I just think there are some good players who may lose a spot or a chance at the club just to entertain another experiment.

westie

Bench
Remember when most of this forum wanted Tim McGann as our lock for the next ten years. Brilliant.

Borat.

Juniors
I think Mullaney should just wait until after this season is over to make any decisions. The Tigers are a pretty good chance of missing the 8 this year and if they do, Sheens will walk. If Sheens walks, the new coach will come in and look at our juniors/reserves and see Mullaney as our best option, one would hope.

sheens will walk hahahahahahhhaaa -

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
good to see Sheens has stuck true to his word, not buying players so as to retain all our talented juniors.

hypocritical lying f**k he is

glockers

Juniors
James Grant was a really solid winger and if this bloke has any of his pedigree it is an astute signing with little cost and plenty of upside. I am not even concerned about him being a first choice winger. If he can develop and put pressure on the regular in front of him, then it is only a good thing for the team.

The key will be how quick he learns to make defensive reads. If he can nail that, then his speed on the wing will be a huge asset.

gronkathon

First Grade
I don't see the problem in buying a winger who os tall and quick. Something our right edge has been missing for quite a while now.

That is if he makes the cut for NRL. Big if hence a one year deal

MacDougall

First Grade
He'll play NRL 100% certain. If he starts the season for BRET he will make the other wingers in the NSW cup look very ordinary.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see the problem in buying a winger who os tall and quick. Something our right edge has been missing for quite a while now.

That is if he makes the cut for NRL. Big if hence a one year deal
we always sign up some great big potential prospect NRL superstar and they never make it to the NRL.

If we go and sign the kid, put him in the NRL squad and give him a proper run in NRL, don't sign him up and waste cap space by sitting him in NSW Cup.

Same as that big teenage back we signed at the start of the year (fijian I think). He sounds unbelievable, yet isn't good enough to push the likes of Beau Ryan, Matt Utai or an out of form Mitch Brown out of the side.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I expect him to get a run eventually, however it will take time to adjust to a different code.

Koriobete will get a run next year, for sure. He only started playing league last year, I believe.

azsportza

Live Update Team
If he plays on the wing, is it correct then they will be letting Matt Utai go?

If he is going to play fullback, no thanks. I have been saying that NSW Cup player Jake Mullaney should get a run, frankly it's a joke he hasn't.

TiggaPlease

Decent speculative signing IMO.

But then again what's the point in having players competing for spots when underperforming 1st graders never get dropped?

N.C.

Juniors
If he plays on the wing, is it correct then they will be letting Matt Utai go?

If he is going to play fullback, no thanks. I have been saying that NSW Cup player Jake Mullaney should get a run, frankly it's a joke he hasn't.
Well if you've been saying it, mate, then why the f**k hasn't Sheens been listening? This calls for an inquiry...

gronkathon

First Grade
Same as that big teenage back we signed at the start of the year (fijian I think). He sounds unbelievable, yet isn't good enough to push the likes of Beau Ryan, Matt Utai or an out of form Mitch Brown out of the side.

I have seen him play a few times for the Pies this season.

Looks like Tuiaki, plays with the timidness of Moltzen

Eddie Lab

Juniors
watching those highlights and despite the bad defense he looks strong also not afraid to take a hit.

Benji Magic

Juniors
Who knows how good he'll be??? As long as we are only paying peanuts then it's not a massive gamble. Who knows, we may unearth a gem.
Rugby players are always a gamble, I didn't rate Saffy when he was with us but with more experience he ended up being an OK player for the Dragons

For those of you who can remember Balmain signed a few rah rahs in the late 80's, early 90's.
James Grant was very good for us but there was others who were very, very average or just plain crap. Anyone remeber Matt Parish, Brian Smith, Perry Smith, John Mulvihill or Matt Burke?
Also just because you can run fast doesn't make you a footballer.........Darren Clark from the same Era.

Latest posts