What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Roberts dropped to Wenty

Wally21

Bench
Why would you bring your worst defender on when you're in the lead?

because he has potential to rip the opposition defense apart, because he has the potential to build on the confidence the team has built up in the first 25 minutes, because it may do wonders for his confidence to name a few reasons.

Whether you think Kearney should be sacked or not, defending his use of the bench will be a pretty lonely agenda.

Eels Dude

Coach
Please tell me where I've said that.
You can't. So don't talk shit. Troll.

Suity

Never said you said anything. Just read the bold part. My point was someone suggesting I'd get on well with Mickdo is like someone suggesting I'd get on well with you ;-)

yy_cheng

Coach
Mate he tops our team in linebreak assists. That's the stat Hayne has led for the past couple of years.

It's partly because of Roberts that Hayne has been able to go back to running the ball.

so u think that sk wouldnt know that. of course he knows this. he is his coach and sees him almost daily. its twits like u who thinks he knows more than our nrl coach that drives me up the wall. sk decided to drop him. enough said.

have faith in sk.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
because he has potential to rip the opposition defense apart, because he has the potential to build on the confidence the team has built up in the first 25 minutes, because it may do wonders for his confidence to name a few reasons.

Pros and cons mate. If it were that easy you'd be coaching.

Whether you think Kearney should be sacked or not, defending his use of the bench will be a pretty lonely agenda.

I've got no problem with his use of the bench. That's why I still support him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
so u think that sk wouldnt know that. of course he knows this. he is his coach and sees him almost daily. its twits like u who thinks he knows more than our nrl coach that drives me up the wall. sk decided to drop him. enough said.

have faith in sk.

I have faith everyone coaching in the NRL knows more than I do. The reason I know so much about the game is because I read and listen to anyone who has coached or played at the top level.

So if I disagree with a coach's decision I assume I am the one who is wrong, and try to understand why they made that decision. An example is the signing of Willie Mason. I didn't want us to sign him because I thought it would be a bad idea but the fact Bennett picked him up shows that under some circumstances it was a good decision.

That doesn't automatically mean Mason to Newcastle won't turn out to be a bad signing, but if it does it won't mean I knew more about footy than Wayne Bennett. It will just mean he took a risk that didn't pay off.

Every coach makes mistakes. But when they do it's not because they know less about footy than the fans who second guess them. If there wasn't a chance it could go wrong it wouldn't be called a risk.

Suitman

Post Whore
Never said you said anything. Just read the bold part. My point was someone suggesting I'd get on well with Mickdo is like someone suggesting I'd get on well with you ;-)

You'd probably find you would get on well with both of us.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
I have faith everyone coaching in the NRL knows more than I do. The reason I know so much about the game is because I read and listen to anyone who has coached or played at the top level.

So if I disagree with a coach's decision I assume I am the one who is wrong, and try to understand why they made that decision. An example is the signing of Willie Mason. I didn't want us to sign him because I thought it would be a bad idea but the fact Bennett picked him up shows that under some circumstances it was a good decision.

That doesn't automatically mean Mason to Newcastle won't turn out to be a bad signing, but if it does it won't mean I knew more about footy than Wayne Bennett. It will just mean he took a risk that didn't pay off.

Every coach makes mistakes. But when they do it's not because they know less about footy than the fans who second guess them. If there wasn't a chance it could go wrong it wouldn't be called a risk.

But Bartman knows everything about what's happening behind the scene's and everything that's happening right now. All his opinions are based upon this superior knowledge. It's clear for all to see.
You're a pretender Pouboy.

Suity

yy_cheng

Coach

glad u fessed up

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You'd probably find you would get on well with both of us.

Suity

Exactly. Just because someone has differing views on the coach doens't mean they're a f**king idiot or a bad person.

I caught up with an old mate today - one of the few Eels fans I know. I hadn't spoken to this bloke since the end of 2010. He's a very smart guy so I asked him if he thought Kearney was the problem.

f**ken oath he did. He said Kearney comes across as complete idiot on tv, but he also thought our squad was very weak. He said our old blokes are too old and our young blokes are too inexperienced and the guys in the middle aren't coping with the pressure.

Personally I agree Kearney doesn't come across as very bright, but I'm a smart bloke and I'm a fairly ordinary public speaker. It doesn't come naturally to everyone, and it's no reflection on a person's intelligence or confidence.

Anyway, point is my mate thinks Kearney is shit and it hasn't ruined the friendship.

Suitman

Post Whore
Exactly. Just because someone has differing views on the coach doens't mean they're a f**king idiot or a bad person.

I caught up with an old mate today - one of the few Eels fans I know. I hadn't spoken to this bloke since the end of 2010. He's a very smart guy so I asked him if he thought Kearney was the problem.

f**ken oath he did. He said Kearney comes across as complete idiot on tv, but he also thought our squad was very weak. He said our old blokes are too old and our young blokes are too inexperienced and the guys in the middle aren't coping with the pressure.

Personally I agree Kearney doesn't come across as very bright, but I'm a smart bloke and I'm a fairly ordinary public speaker. It doesn't come naturally to everyone, and it's no reflection on a person's intelligence or confidence.

Anyway, point is my mate thinks Kearney is shit and it hasn't ruined the friendship.

It may not have ruined the friendship between you and your matee, or you and your non matee, but what about you and me?

Suity

Chipmunk

Coach

Personally I think that the difference between a good NRL coach and an average NRL coach is communication/people management. To me there is a bees d$%k in the difference in knowledge about the game of rugby league between one NRL coach and the other, they all know their stuff at that level. But the difference in coaching quality is the ability of each individual to be able to offer that knowledge and use their communication and people management skills in order to be able to get the best out of their current group of players. I think people like Bennett, Bellamy, Hasler and Gus Gould have these skills in spades over most of their counterparts and thats what seperates them above the rest

Wally21

Bench
Pros and cons mate. If it were that easy you'd be coaching.

it's what I do for a living. And it's not easy. What you do however is learn from your mistakes and move forward. That's what I think the coach lacks, the ability to learn from his mistakes and course correct. His use of the bench is one of the areas where he has not learned from his mistakes.

Whether I have led teams or coached them, the insight that I believe is the most important thing to share is, course correction is key to long term, sustained success. Never be afraid to admit you are wrong. It is a key attribute of the best Leaders. I hope SK begins to understand that.

Wally21

Bench
Personally I think that the difference between a good NRL coach and an average NRL coach is communication/people management. To me there is a bees d$%k in the difference in knowledge about the game of rugby league between one NRL coach and the other, they all know their stuff at that level. But the difference in coaching quality is the ability of each individual to be able to offer that knowledge and use their communication and people management skills in order to be able to get the best out of their current group of players. I think people like Bennett, Bellamy, Hasler and Gus Gould have these skills in spades over most of their counterparts and thats what seperates them above the rest

Great post. What you intimate is true of leaders in all walks of life.