What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah calls on PM to crack down on Twitter abuse

DJShaksta

First Grade
I am over Robbie Farah.
The guy had a fantastic origin series.
His premiership favorites NRL team sucked balls.

His mum passed away - we all feel sorry for him.
Some asshat had a shot at him on twitter - delete it, block it, whatever.

I am sick of hearing about it. It's finals time and I don't want the spotlight on Robbie Farah.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So it's ok for you to do it because you have a legitimate reason but everyone else just does it to harass people. Ffs.

The original tweeter is using a pseudonym because internet sites require you to have a handle. Your attitude suggests a very narrow understanding of the internet.

An assumption based on nothing except your own inability to consider that other points of view might be legitimate.

And again you've just insulted everyone by implying they are cowards.

I said 'some people'. I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. Not everyone is a coward, just the ones who attack people under pseudonyms. My twitter page has my name on it, as does most peoples. The lowlife tweeter's did not. So he's a piece of shit and there's others like him.

I will never deny anyone an opinion. I just disagree with the majority and have my own opinion that the reaction would be different in another environment. Again, my opinion. I'm not insisting it's true

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I said 'some people'. I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. Not everyone is a coward, just the ones who attack people under pseudonyms. My twitter page has my name on it, as does most peoples. The lowlife tweeter's did not. So he's a piece of shit and there's others like him.

I will never deny anyone an opinion. I just disagree with the majority and have my own opinion that the reaction would be different in another environment. Again, my opinion. I'm not insisting it's true
Yet you support the removal of freedom of speech. Quite ironic really.

You are simply arguing that everyones opinion is incorrect if it doesn't align with yours, insulting them in the process.

It's clear as day you have absolutely no understanding of the technology at play, and from a technical standpoint, it's quite amusing seeing you waffle on about how these cretins should be stopped.

And 'most people' on twitter use an alias, unless they're a celebrity or in the self-promotion game.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Very pleased with the news overnight about the DT getting behind this. For once they do something useful.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Very pleased with the news overnight about the DT getting behind this. For once they do something useful.

The Telegraph are "getting behind this" simply for their own benefit. Social media has been very unkind to News Ltd both from a point of view that people no longer rely on traditional means to get their news (News Ltd may want to re-think their strategy of being deliberately aggressive to 50% of their customers by constantly favouring one side of politics). The other problem for News is that Twitter, along with Facebook, blogs etc is a very effective tool for people to run a campaign against them. They are obviously noticing this.

Bottom line? The only thing the Daily Telegraph looks out for is the Daily Telegraph.

Doomednow

Bench

If the Daily Telegraph is a legitimate news source it shouldn't be "getting behind" anything. The fact that it has is just more evidence of what a useless piece of trash it is.

Doomednow

Bench

Everyone who doesn't put their name online is a piece of shit. Sure. :crazy:

He's a piece of shit because of the comments he made, not because he doesn't have personal details online. Be aware of the distinction.

You are though. You keep saying it, and the fact you believe it means you think it is true.

Here's the thing. Saying that both Robbie is over reacting and that having your feelings hurt on the internet shouldn't get the justice system involved are not particularly outrageous opinions, and I can't see an issue in voicing this opinion in a face to face forum.

The fact that you keep insisting that we would back down from this belief is tantamount to calling us cowards. My feelings are hurt. I'm tweeting Barry.

Just out of interest, what sort of face to face forum did you have in mind? In what sort of forum would that opinion be seen as disgraceful enough that we would back down from it?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yet you support the removal of freedom of speech. Quite ironic really.

You are simply arguing that everyones opinion is incorrect if it doesn't align with yours, insulting them in the process.

It's clear as day you have absolutely no understanding of the technology at play, and from a technical standpoint, it's quite amusing seeing you waffle on about how these cretins should be stopped.

And 'most people' on twitter use an alias, unless they're a celebrity or in the self-promotion game.

Again, you're reading something into what I said that isn't there. I don't support the removal of freedom of speech. I support the tracking and punishing of people who tweet details of necrophilia and other atrocities or Farah or anyone whether they are famous or not.

I don't argue that their opinion is incorrect, and if it seemed that way I apologise. I just don't get it how Farah is supposed to 'suck it up' in the first instance. I think it's better to call it to attention.

I work in social media so thanks for the tip on how it works, but I'm more than aware.

And no doomednow, only the ones who don't use names then wage cowardly attacks on people are pieces of shit. Again, don't be put out by something I didn't say.

I'm not saying you or any people on this forum would back down from this opinion in person. I'd suggest you'd stick to it, and fair play to you. I'm saying people in a different environment, who aren't regular members of internet forums and have been exposed to this sort of behaviour (I've seen it here plenty) would have a different view, in my opinion. And true to this, a few people I've talked to have.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Telegraph getting behind a campaign against Twitter trolls is a bit like Ivan Milat holding a press conference denouncing the murder of backpackers in the forest.

They've also breached corporate law by defiling the Twitter logo. If anybody played with their logo in another publication they'd be suing faster than you can say "hack journalism"...

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Can someone pm me who did. 5 min search and couldnt find it.

A2jYMqQCYAEHNs4.jpg

Danish

Referee
It is NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell who has directly intervened and volunteered himself. Farah tweeted Gillard demanding some action, pretty sure she hasn't responded.

Edit: PM's office has apparently replied to Farah (not the PM herself and not by Twitter). The point is, Farah approached her, not the other way around. O'Farrell on the other hand was all over this from the get go.

Actually Farah and another tigers fan asked O'Farrell to get involved at the same time as asking for Gillard to step in.

O'Farrell (or more likely whatever junior staffer pollies use to run their twitter feeds) responded via twitter while Gillard responded through her office.

Danish

Referee
Again, you're reading something into what I said that isn't there. I don't support the removal of freedom of speech. I support the tracking and punishing of people who tweet details of necrophilia and other atrocities or Farah or anyone whether they are famous or not.

so all speech is free, but some speech is more free than others

Firey_Dragon

Coach
In otherwords, if their words comply with the law, you support them being arrested anyway. That is a removal of the freedom of speech. As disgusting as the comments were, you walk a slippery slope with such a mentality.

I don't argue that their opinion is incorrect, and if it seemed that way I apologise. I just don't get it how Farah is supposed to 'suck it up' in the first instance. I think it's better to call it to attention.
The internet is anonymous... You bring peoples attention to such disgusting words, you get more idiots lining up to join the party... That's the reality of it.

I work in social media so thanks for the tip on how it works, but I'm more than aware.
Yet you have no understanding of the underlying networking stack that allows 'tracking' of individuals. Posting on a blog doesn't mean you understand the technology behind it.