What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Tigers - Edwards in for Maitua

emjaycee

Coach
Remember all you naysayers... "in Ricky we trust".
That was the mantra on here when we signed him.

Redback71

First Grade
well we have money spare who can we buy, for what we were going to pay folau, lewis etc we should be able to buy 2 mid range backrowers.

eels81236

Bench
Poupou won't be happy with me for saying this but our depth stinks.
Is Harrison out hurt or Ricky just preferred Edwards?

Parra Pride

Coach
well we have money spare who can we buy, for what we were going to pay folau, lewis etc we should be able to buy 2 mid range backrowers.

You're joking, right? We obviously need Corey f**king Norman more than a backrower. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Tony Bongo

Bench
I'm looking forward to seeing how Edwards goes. I have heard promising things about him from people who have seen him play here in QLD. Hopefully he has a cracking debut for us.

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
Remember all you naysayers... "in Ricky we trust".
That was the mantra on here when we signed him.
:lol: And that's not a poorer attempt at naysaying?

Still bitter about your mate getting the chop, or just feeling holier than thou again? :crazy:

emjaycee

Coach
:lol: And that's not a poorer attempt at naysaying?

Still bitter about your mate getting the chop, or just feeling holier than thou again? :crazy:

Actually Bart, option (d) - none of the above.

We are two rounds into the comp the season after we collected the wooden spoon and we had very little recruitment to improve the squad toward the back end of last season and over the off season. This didn't however stop a heap of posters in here claiming when he was signed that Ricky would solve the woes of our club that IMHO go back to the Hagan days.

After round 1 smashing of the Warriors (a team who had lost their last 8 games) the same posters were claiming that the we were back, now that the sole reason for our poor performances over the preceding 2 years was gone (SK) and that Stuart would fix the attitude in the club and everything would be great.

Then we lose round 2 to last years minor premiers by 4 points, including keeping them scoreless in the second half and the posts start about the wheels falling off (paraphrasing so don't search for quotes) and how we are in for another shit season. 2 of our most experienced players get slammed for their performance on Thursday night (and I am not saying they played well) and MK becomes the worst hooker in the comp.

The team for round 3 is named with another debutant (the third in 2 games) due to injury and suddenly we are a park football team.

All this from the same people who claimed Ricky was the Messiah when he was signed.
Going from Cellar to Penthouse takes time - unfortunately the average Parra supporter has been waiting 27 years already and has little patience left.

Tooooks

Bench
Actually Bart, option (d) - none of the above.

We are two rounds into the comp the season after we collected the wooden spoon and we had very little recruitment to improve the squad toward the back end of last season and over the off season. This didn't however stop a heap of posters in here claiming when he was signed that Ricky would solve the woes of our club that IMHO go back to the Hagan days.

After round 1 smashing of the Warriors (a team who had lost their last 8 games) the same posters were claiming that the we were back, now that the sole reason for our poor performances over the preceding 2 years was gone (SK) and that Stuart would fix the attitude in the club and everything would be great.

Then we lose round 2 to last years minor premiers by 4 points, including keeping them scoreless in the second half and the posts start about the wheels falling off (paraphrasing so don't search for quotes) and how we are in for another shit season. 2 of our most experienced players get slammed for their performance on Thursday night (and I am not saying they played well) and MK becomes the worst hooker in the comp.

The team for round 3 is named with another debutant (the third in 2 games) due to injury and suddenly we are a park football team.

All this from the same people who claimed Ricky was the Messiah when he was signed.
Going from Cellar to Penthouse takes time - unfortunately the average Parra supporter has been waiting 27 years already and has little patience left.

Who ever claimed Stuart was the messiah? Or that he would have immediate success? Those of us who have realistic expectations predicted a vast improvement in all facets of play (which we've seen already), but still a top 12 result. Frankly, anyone who thinks we will make the 8 is dreaming.

I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

Gronk

Staff member
Kenny Edwards gets chance for Eels, replacing Reni Maitua against Tigers

• News Limited Network
  • March 19, 2013 6:01PM

917251-kenny-edwards.jpg

Kenny Edwards in action for the Sea Eagles Toyota Cup team in 2008. Picture: Krystle Wright

KENNY Edwards gets his first chance to repay Ricky Stuart for throwing him an NRL lifeline when he stands in for Eels ace Reni Maitua against the Tigers on Friday night.

Co-captain Maitua has succumbed to an ankle injury ahead of the Leichhardt Oval match against the Tigers.
Edwards was in the headlines last year following an incident at a junior football game on the Gold Coast, which came after blown chances to play NRL with Manly and St George Illawarra.
But he was thrown a lifeline by Eels coach Stuart in the off-season and gets his first start for Parramatta - and his NRL debut - in the second-row on Friday night.
In the other change to the Eels' line-up Vai Toutai replaces injured winger Ken Sio (ankle).
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...a-against-tigers/story-e6frfgbo-1226600922682

Gronk

Staff member
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/11/439576_gold-coast-titans.html

KENNY Edwards knows it could be his last shot at the big time.

The stocky second-rower is painfully aware he owes it to himself, his family -- partner Madison and two-year-old daughter Malia-Rose -- and a couple of rugby league people who have not lost faith in an unfulfilled talent.

Handed a third chance to make it in the NRL, courtesy of a Parramatta offer, Edwards is determined to prove he is a changed man, one far removed from the bad-boy image that has tainted his erratic career since his schoolboy days at Keebra Park High.

"This is an opportunity for me to show people that I'm a different man," he said.

"It's a big challenge after what I've been through.

"I've had a hard time in the last few years but I feel the time is right for me."

The cousin of Kangaroos Test prop James Tamou, Edwards was this year's Southport Tigers senior captain who grabbed the spotlight for all the wrong reasons late in the season.

He featured in a well-publicised incident during an under-17s match when he was acting as a trainer.

Among several allegations, Edwards was accused of repeatedly inciting his young Tigers to fight their Cudgen opponents.

He was banned for the rest of the season, but had the charges downgraded on appeal and was freed to play for Southport in the Bycroft Cup finals.

It is an incident Edwards deeply regrets.

Have your say on the feedback form below
Gold Coast Titans news, photos

But he says it is all in the past, as are other off-field matters that lead him to admit to being a former problem child, the victim of a tough upbringing.

Edwards has already blown chances to play NRL with Manly and St George Illawarra.

He played Toyota Cup with both clubs, but continuing off-field antics forced him to sit out 2011 before he signed to play with Southport this year. In 2007, Edwards was an Australian Schoolboy rep while at Keebra Park. He looked set to take the next step and lobbed at Manly.

"In 2008, I moved to Manly and I basically thought I'd made it without really having made it," Edwards said.

"I started hanging out with the the big names, doing what they did, and I got into trouble.

"Then in 2009 I was at St George and I ran into more off-field issues."

But former Manly video analyst Will Badel knew Edwards could play and, now with Ricky Stuart at Parramatta, has convinced the NSW Origin coach to give Edwards a go.

Edwards has been offered a one-year contract which will be reviewed after six rounds in 2013.

"Will talked about a Penrith stint but that fell through," Edwards said.

"But then he rang me and said there may be an opportunity at Parramatta. He said he was going to speak to Ricky Stuart.

"Then out of the blue I was at work and had a missed call on my phone. It was Ricky and he said he wanted a yarn. That just blew me away.

"He told me it'll take a lot of hard work, but if I'm keen and show them 100 per cent in attitude and training it'll all be good.

"I agree I've been been a problem child but from now on there are no excuses for me any more.

"As Ricky said, it's all up to me now and I'm more than ready to take the chance."

Eelementary

Post Whore
So who has seen this guy play? Does he really have potential?

In my opinion, yes, he does. I have seen a bit of him over the years, and he is physical and aggressive, and he can pop a nice offload.

With him and Lussick in the side, we should not be short of aggression and power.

Latest posts