What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

TheRam

Coach
Lol

sorry Eeslfan05, Poo is right.

Of course there are cultural reasons for people acting a certain way, that's why it's called a "culture" in the first place!!

And somewhere on this big planet of ours, some cultures are going to be more gentle and some are going to be the opposite. Of course, individuals will always have their own choices, but a dominating culture will win out collectively and takes a long time to change.

And Poo using Guus as an example is a good one, because anyone who knows anything about soccer will tell you that the great thing about the sport is the way that differences in culture around the world play out on the field. Of course, as it gets more professional everywhere it gradually becomes more vanilla, but anyway...

I work with New Zealanders and the anglos over there have a different culture to Australian anglos, never mind the Maori or islanders. It's subtle, but it's there. New Zealanders - in general - are not as direct as Australians. And sometimes they see us as blunt or even disrespectful because of our directness.

So if two countries with similar backgrounds can have different cultures, surely another entire race can have one.

However, the original post that we need more white guys is, I think, not the right way to approach this. We need tougher, more determined players. Individually, as Poo has pointed out, they could be from any race. When we are talking to players from certain races we just need to be aware of how their culture might affect their thinking, and have questions designed to suss out their individual attitude.

Well said B-Tron 3000, especially the last paragraph, but you only re-enforced my statements in the end. Sure colour has no bearing on how mentally tough an individual is or isn't, but culture certainly does play a part in how people behave overall.

And if a culture is big on being casual and lay back, then it is very difficult to change that attitude. So that brings me to my original statement we have to many islanders in our team.

Sorry to be politically incorrect, but we need hard and tough players in our squad more than anything else and beside the exception like Jeremy Smith, most don't offer that never say die resilience that is paramount for any winning club.

I mean how hard is it really to figure out. If we were to pick the mentally toughest 20 RL players in the NRL, I bet most would have at least 2/3 of the squad anglo, anglo/aboriginal or anglo/islander like say a Jeremy Smith type.

Again my thoughts and statements are not meant to be racist and I hope people can tell that I don't intend them to be. What I am pointing out here is that there are different attitudes and behaviors that separate cultures. That's all, colour in itself has nothing to do with it.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well said B-Tron especially the bit about similar countries like Aus and NZ having different cultures.
I've actually noticed distinct cultures even in Sydneys suburbs. From my observation I've noticed the south and west consists of lazy welfare draining types. In contrast the north and east is mainly hard working aspirational types.
Of course there are the occasional exception, but overall it's pretty accurate.

Eelogical

Referee
Well said B-Tron especially the bit about similar countries like Aus and NZ having different cultures.
I've actually noticed distinct cultures even in Sydneys suburbs. From my observation I've noticed the south and west consists of lazy welfare draining types. In contrast the north and east is mainly hard working aspirational types.

I just sent an email to Ricky based on your local knowledge. Go and buy Roosters, Manly and Bears players immediately.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Poor people certainly do comprise various subcultures, and therefore share cultural traits.

Some of these traits include poor work ethic, and lack of personal responsibility (i.e. blaming others for their problems).

The question posed by sociologists then is are they poor because they have shit attitudes, or do they have shit attitudes because they're poor?

I think it's a bit of both but mostly I just don't care.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
yeah i would have written 3 paragraphs about it if i didn't care too

I wrote one sentence about it: "The question posed by sociologists then is are they poor because they have shit attitudes, or do they have shit attitudes because they're poor?"

Learn to f**ken count you useless houso merkin.

lingard

Coach
I hope Stuart can use the experience he gained in coaching Easts to a number of finals appearances and a grand final win - as well as coaching NSW to within a whisker of winning last years series for the first time in ages - in order to slowly get the Parramatta team back to being very competitive within the next few years. I think he probably can.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The players aren't poor, so why are they shit? Poupou?

Because most of them grew up poor, and won't let go of their shit attitudes.

That's why so many of them are broke two or three years after retirement.

But it's not all bad; a few of them learn middle class habits and manage to not blow all their cash on cars, holidays and child support.

If I can learn all that stuff anyone can.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Rich people have shit attitudes too.

.ie Paris Hilton. THOUGHTS?

She's famous for being the exception. I bet all the other girls from her school don't act like that, whereas you go to any povvo public school and there's dozens of little skanks who would give their left nut to emulate Paris Hilton.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

How many Suity building sites have you worked on?

Latest posts