What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Lol

sorry Eeslfan05, Poo is right.

Of course there are cultural reasons for people acting a certain way, that's why it's called a "culture" in the first place!!

And somewhere on this big planet of ours, some cultures are going to be more gentle and some are going to be the opposite. Of course, individuals will always have their own choices, but a dominating culture will win out collectively and takes a long time to change.

And Poo using Guus as an example is a good one, because anyone who knows anything about soccer will tell you that the great thing about the sport is the way that differences in culture around the world play out on the field. Of course, as it gets more professional everywhere it gradually becomes more vanilla, but anyway...

I work with New Zealanders and the anglos over there have a different culture to Australian anglos, never mind the Maori or islanders. It's subtle, but it's there. New Zealanders - in general - are not as direct as Australians. And sometimes they see us as blunt or even disrespectful because of our directness.

So if two countries with similar backgrounds can have different cultures, surely another entire race can have one.

However, the original post that we need more white guys is, I think, not the right way to approach this. We need tougher, more determined players. Individually, as Poo has pointed out, they could be from any race. When we are talking to players from certain races we just need to be aware of how their culture might affect their thinking, and have questions designed to suss out their individual attitude.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Oh, and someone like Manu might need that laid-back attitude. He's a wrecking ball with average hands. If he was more intense, he might beat himself up about his hands and never play again. But he's not, so he can relax and move on when he makes a mistake. And his laid-back attitude doesn't stop him running over people!

born an eel

Bench
does DNA testing come under the Academy or is there a seperate testing unit to find out each players predisposed traits?

How many generations do we need to go back? Maybe only signing players from winning gladiators lineage could be the answer.

Noise

Coach
does DNA testing come under the Academy or is there a seperate testing unit to find out each players predisposed traits?

How many generations do we need to go back? Maybe only signing players from winning gladiators lineage could be the answer.

Mark "Hammer' McGaw's kids!

lingard

Coach
I think we would have had a better chance with Folau as well. It seemed that for all money he was coming and I reckon that Kearney getting sacked had a lot to do with him changing his mind. After all who wants to come to a club that displays zero stability?

That wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to know who the other strong performers were. I reckon Reni would have been a good chance.

With the full support of the board who knows what Kearney could have been by now? If Kearney went to a club like Souths and Maguire came to Parramatta my guess is that many people would have very different opinions of both of them now.

Anyhow - fire away Kearney haters:D

It's been very clearly documented that Folau was a certainty to sign, and only pulled out because the NRL couldn't get their act together quickly enough to ratify the signing under our salary cap. I fail to see how it had anything to do with Kearney one way or the other.

Eels Dude

Coach
Lol. Wasn't it Stuart who did all the leg-work to get him to break his contract with the AFL to bring him here too...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Folau, Hinchcliffe and f**k knows how many other players got cold feet when Kearney told them the club was about to arsehole him.

That's probably why Tonga has faked injury since mid last year and Hopoate is trying to get out of his contract.

Nice one, ParraFirst!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Folau, Hinchcliffe and f**k knows how many other players got cold feet when Kearney told them the club was about to arsehole him.

That's probably why Tonga has faked injury since mid last year and Hopoate is trying to get out of his contract.

Nice one, ParraFirst!
Bloody Merkins!! Stop the leaks!!!

lingard

Coach
I think he should have at least seen out the three he was signed for. The way our team is playing he wouldn't have been given anymore than that anyway.
It still amazes me how well they played after Kearney's sacking was announced. How sad though that the enthusiasm was so short lived. In any case it is now obvious that all along the coach wasn't the problem.
This year we have thrown away close to a million dollars just so a board could save face but they have still ended up with egg on their faces anyway. They had a wonderful opportunity to show true leadership and stand by the man they appointed and their decisions, but they chose instead to cave into the masses and as it seems much of the playing group. The fact is that if we are to be successful this cycle that leads to continued failure has to stop at some point and I hope it stops with Ricky.

Well, yes. It should stop with a proven coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Stuart might have won a premiership 10 years ago, but he's a last start failure along with other 'proven' coaches such as Hagan and Sheens.

Being 'proven' is no guarantee of anything, and the coaches that have had recent success don't want to leave their strong clubs to go through the frustration of going to a weak club and having their reputations ruined.

That's why we get Kearney (who had nothing to lose) and Sticky (whose reputation was mud) while stronger clubs get Hasler, Bennett and Cleary to take over.

I have faith in Sticky but his recent record at club level (12 wins in his last 42 games) is about as 'proven' as Steve Kearney's (10 wins from 42 games).

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Nice one, ParraFirst!

Ummmm ok.

Latest posts