What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Price

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Price has already graced the pages of our proud history books with two NIL results at Kogarah, time to retire me thinks

possm

Coach
We seen it coming mid last year and yet many on here kept saying he needed more time. Well his time is up and it's time for Doust to come clean and tell the fans why he and the Board really kept Price on.

I would like to see Doust and Price given the shove this week and we start with a new coach as soon as possible and definitely before our next game.

Sheens has said on a number of occasions that he wants to concentrate on the Australian side until after the World Cup. I think he is still being paid by the Tigers and does not want to complicate that arrangement as well.

Daley is 100% into things Origin for the next two weeks. I think he would be a good interim coach for the remainder of the year and would most likely accept the job if asked.

If not Daley then it has to be an older experienced coach who is good at rebuilding a side. Someone who can command respect and actually knows what to do.

Twenty10

Juniors
I was at the game tonight and I overheard Doust say " we have so many injuries and the roosters are a very good side"... Word for word that is what this f**k wit said. He is making excuses for absolute rubbish coaching and selections

He looked like a school boy about to get expelled
Jason Taylor turned Parra around, he's learnt his lessons & getting good experience at the chooks ATM

Minh

First Grade
Feel a bit sorry for the guy but he's not up to the task of coaching this proud club. Dragons are still the best!!!:cool:

I hope it doesn't take too long for us to bounce back to the top again.

TheRev

First Grade
Taylor would work for me, was the worst decision parra ever made getting rid of him.. and he is a halfback and a goalkicker, the 2 things we desperately need to improve in.

possm

Coach
Feel a bit sorry for the guy but he's not up to the task of coaching this proud club. Dragons are still the best!!!:cool:

I hope it doesn't take too long for us to bounce back to the top again.

I don't feel sorry for the guy at all. After working as a lower grade coach in the Dragons system for about 5 years and then as assistant to Bennett for three years, Price decided he would turn everything up-side-down to stamp his ideas of a new more entertaining 'offense' system. He did this without considering the skillset of the cattle he had and with the knowledge that players like Hornby, Young, Cooper and Fien were all very close to the used by date of their career.

All that was needed from a rookie coach was to recruit to ease in and replace the retiring players and those who were leaving the Club. So what did Price do instead?
1. He created a less strict environment for the players.
2. He took the focus off the 'brick wall defence' that the Dragons were so famous for.
3. He recruited fringe players 'with potential' without consideration for the players who were approaching their used by date, who were leaving the Club and/or the weaknesses in the roster.
4. He stubbornly persisted with his 'new attaching style plan? even though his squad were not up to it and the plan itself was nothing special.
5. Most significantly, he persisted with all of these changes even though it was very clear his plans were floored and key players in his squad did not have the required skillset to carry it out.

Maybe if the Club went for an aggressive recruitment plan for 2012, Price could have justified a progressive incremental change to the attacking structure however, there were no moves to ease in quality replacements for Hornby, Young, Boyd, Gasnier, Cooper etc. This was the time for renewal of the roster and instead the Club chose to scrimp on spending and direct funds to other priorities.

I don't attribute all the blame for this on Price. As a rookie coach - even with the best preparation any rookie could hope for - a great deal of the poor recruitment decisions has to be ponted towards Craig Young and Peter Doust. There were plenty of suitable recruits available to beaf up our roster over the past two seasons and for whatever reason, Price, Young and Doust have not delivered.

So it's time. It's time now for those who have failed to step aside and make way for someone else to have a go. The Board should now facilitate the replacement of Doust, Young and Price and if the members of the Board can't see their way clear to do this, then maybe they should resign as well.

Ideally, Price should be replaced this week by an older, more experienced coach who is capable of turning things around. If this is not possible, then I suggest the Club appoints a credible coach to take on the responsibility for the remainder of the season and at season end, the Club appoints either Tim Sheens or Brian Smith on a two year contract for the purpose of re-building our roster and re-shaping our playing style.

Steps should also be taken to separate the responsibilities of CEO and Football Manager. If the right Football Manager was hired, I believe the task of rebuilding would be made so much easier. The proposed Football Manager would be in charge of things like recruitment, coaching and player development. He would report directly to the Board and have to operate within a budget/salary cap.

EelsFan05

Bench
Your club is entering the same sort of territory as ours. It's a tough situation and there are no quick fixes. We have tried different coaches, boards, CEO's and now we a changing the playing group. I wish you all the best. I never like seeing the traditional NSW teams struggle. There are tough times ahead and I hope you have to right front office to make the right calls at the right time.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I was at the game tonight and I overheard Doust say " we have so many injuries and the roosters are a very good side"... Word for word that is what this f**k wit said. He is making excuses for absolute rubbish coaching and selections

What did you say? You should have kicked him in the nuts

tumbidragon

First Grade
Your club is entering the same sort of territory as ours. It's a tough situation and there are no quick fixes. We have tried different coaches, boards, CEO's and now we a changing the playing group. I wish you all the best. I never like seeing the traditional NSW teams struggle. There are tough times ahead and I hope you have to right front office to make the right calls at the right time.
No worries EelsFan ;-). Here's to a tough dogfight for the 2013 spoon :alcho:...

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

Sorry, I think this is bullshit. If a team is smart enough they can turn things around quickly. Canterbury 2008 wooden spoon to 2009 finishing second.

hewi

Bench
I don't feel sorry for the guy at all. After working as a lower grade coach in the Dragons system for about 5 years and then as assistant to Bennett for three years, Price decided he would turn everything up-side-down to stamp his ideas of a new more entertaining 'offense' system. He did this without considering the skillset of the cattle he had and with the knowledge that players like Hornby, Young, Cooper and Fien were all very close to the used by date of their career.

All that was needed from a rookie coach was to recruit to ease in and replace the retiring players and those who were leaving the Club. So what did Price do instead?
1. He created a less strict environment for the players.
2. He took the focus off the 'brick wall defence' that the Dragons were so famous for.
3. He recruited fringe players 'with potential' without consideration for the players who were approaching their used by date, who were leaving the Club and/or the weaknesses in the roster.
4. He stubbornly persisted with his 'new attaching style plan? even though his squad were not up to it and the plan itself was nothing special.
5. Most significantly, he persisted with all of these changes even though it was very clear his plans were floored and key players in his squad did not have the required skillset to carry it out.

Maybe if the Club went for an aggressive recruitment plan for 2012, Price could have justified a progressive incremental change to the attacking structure however, there were no moves to ease in quality replacements for Hornby, Young, Boyd, Gasnier, Cooper etc. This was the time for renewal of the roster and instead the Club chose to scrimp on spending and direct funds to other priorities.

I don't attribute all the blame for this on Price. As a rookie coach - even with the best preparation any rookie could hope for - a great deal of the poor recruitment decisions has to be ponted towards Craig Young and Peter Doust. There were plenty of suitable recruits available to beaf up our roster over the past two seasons and for whatever reason, Price, Young and Doust have not delivered.

So it's time. It's time now for those who have failed to step aside and make way for someone else to have a go. The Board should now facilitate the replacement of Doust, Young and Price and if the members of the Board can't see their way clear to do this, then maybe they should resign as well.

Ideally, Price should be replaced this week by an older, more experienced coach who is capable of turning things around. If this is not possible, then I suggest the Club appoints a credible coach to take on the responsibility for the remainder of the season and at season end, the Club appoints either Tim Sheens or Brian Smith on a two year contract for the purpose of re-building our roster and re-shaping our playing style.

Steps should also be taken to separate the responsibilities of CEO and Football Manager. If the right Football Manager was hired, I believe the task of rebuilding would be made so much easier. The proposed Football Manager would be in charge of things like recruitment, coaching and player development. He would report directly to the Board and have to operate within a budget/salary cap.

And that sums it all up beautifully. I don't think Parra will get the spoon, they have a coach and half back that are better than anything we can offer.