What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary's interview...

krispyredv

Juniors
I liked all of the interviews, hearing them answer our questions really gave me an understanding of what they are doing to turn it around. I'm sick of the whinging going by some people on here whenever someone from the dragons management says something, lets just hope they are a greatly improved team next year so i can look forward to the weekend once again.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
He should be our coach. Everything he said was what Steve price was incapable of saying all year.

I have no doubt he'll be our head coach at some point in the next 12 months.

Thats what he's there for.

Very impressed with his interview. Mary has a presence about him.

So he's played 1st grade for illawarra and st George illawarra he runs his own business of. 25 staff and he's coached under tough circumstances at nsw cup level sounds to me he's infinitely more qualified to coach than price is so we'll see how long till he takes over!

Elias1983

Coach
I like how he spoke about the young players, he said they will bring enthusiasm and that they will need to be taught...not coached.

He strikes as a guy who is not afraid to ruffle a few feathers...look out price.

saints4me

Juniors
He did have some good cattle to work with.

And that was the difference. How would Robibson have gone coaching the eels this year? No different to how sticky went I'm sure.
You need the cattle on the park. Robinson had it.
End of story.

We'll have it in 2014. Why? We'll play smarter. We have a decent spine
that will lead and the rest will follow. I'm predicting good things in 2014.

:D

KiamaSaint

Coach
So he's played 1st grade for illawarra and st George illawarra he runs his own business of. 25 staff and he's coached under tough circumstances at nsw cup level sounds to me he's infinitely more qualified to coach than price is so we'll see how long till he takes over!

From Price or Doust?

The Nick

Bench
WOW that interview really impressed me! Talk is cheap, but Mary has given me a real sense of optimism for 2014!

Also gotta give credit to the Dragons and their digital media team who have done a decent job delivering to the fans in the wake of a dreadful season, rather than just hiding away and hoping we would forget.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Ok he says all the right things...BUT...I don't think he has shown much as a coach to date. His Cutters side played very poorly for most of last season. He can obviously TALK the TALK... lets hope he can WALK the WALK. If he can, we might be on the right track...

krispyredv

Juniors
Ok he says all the right things...BUT...I don't think he has shown much as a coach to date. His Cutters side played very poorly for most of last season. He can obviously TALK the TALK... lets hope he can WALK the WALK. If he can, we might be on the right track...

He explained in the video that it was difficult because of his constantly changing team from week to week, he never had a core group of players that were there week in week out, which understandably would be difficult to manage at the best of times.

Reddragon

Bench
Still think the Cutters performed well below average. McGregor had a better roster at that level than Price at NRL level.
Cutters have been below par for 2 years now.

BennyV

Referee
Wow, Im off this Forum for a couple of days and suddenly Mary has gone from worst case scenario to our saviour of 2014!

Without watching the interview yet, I've been unsure about Mary. Gasnier speaks very highly of him in his book and says his leadership qualities are top notch,and he was a good attacking player so will be interesting to see how he goes...

Still think the Cutters performed well below average. McGregor had a better roster at that level than Price at NRL level.
Cutters have been below par for 2 years now.

Cutters made the finals last year and were only just beaten by the eventual premiers...

hermidale1

Juniors
I hear people on here saying Mary is not much of a coach. but nobody here has been coached by him, watched him coach at training or been near him when he's coached. Me neither, but I think Mary will make an impression on the team. He said he wants a team that is poor losers. A team that doesn't accept losing. To me that is a positive. He also said he's happy we will have such a young team so they can be taught, not coached. I liked his interview. It was honest and not scripted. We all were filthy for the 2013 season, but like he said, we need to put it behind us. It's last weeks fish and chip paper now.

Minh

First Grade
Don't know about Mc Gregor's coaching ability but he was one hell of a player that could mentor some of those outside backs the way he did with Gasnier early in his career.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
These are pretty much the same pts I got out of the interview. And I am buoyed by not just what he said but how.

I know I may make too much of how a man speaks, but if you are paid to lead, then you Need to act and speak like a leader. If you can't articulate intelligently then you need to communicate with conviction using some other quality, be it passion, determination, confidence whatever. Or of course just deliver the results, that does all the talking for you!

I like what I heard based on the Blacksafake list above.

In Response to the question 'what do the Dragons Need to do in 2014' Mary came right out and said what we really want to hear, and the Players Need to know. We Need to WIN! I don't think I've ever heard Steve Price say that. With the use of words like "consistency" and "Dragons footy" or even "our own Standards" ...always vague, open to Interpretation and seemingly an out clause. Win - it's that simple. If you can't say the word how are players supposed to develop a winning culture, or know how to win?

So many times i thought Steve Price just gave lipservice at interviews - although his last one with John Stanley is IMO a little better.

And, I like how Paul McGregor identifies with fans - that "...we shouldn't spoil their Weekends" by not even being competitive.

Finally, I think the way he talks is more consistent with Laurie Daley, then Peter Doust.
As well as the Peter Doust comment it thought the same re Daley. He's obviously been listening when around Daley

TruSaint

Referee
Just watched the interview now and I totally agree with your thoughts, he is very articulate and intelligently spoken.

Seems to me Minh, his business ownership has developed Mary into a well presented leader.
Its amazing what life in the private sector, where its you balls on the line, can change the attitude of people. Nice transformation anyway. Time will tell, but cant fault his launch.

_Johnsy

Referee
I particularly enjoyed one part. Ownership & accountability & they will be held accountable.

Something that wasn't evident in 2013, hopefully this extends to all staff, beginning at the board then contimuing down.