What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England/Italy warm up match

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Logically in these warm-ups the coaches and the players of the big teams go into the game with a conservative mindset - the top priority is to not get injured. It's not a coincidence that a few soft tries were let in in both games. Italy and the USA probably went out giving 110%, running on adrenaline and pride. I'm giving very little credence to these results, do so at your own peril.

Harrigan

Juniors
The poms blaming a shit performance on shit weather!!

:lol:

If anyone should be able to handle shit weather it's your mob.

Who's blaming the weather?

We didn't look interested before the storm hit. I only put the pictures on to show you how bad it got.

Wow. It looks like England will have to field their "strongest" 17 every game without resting any players for the entire tournament.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Bit of pride in the jersey would help, even if it is a warm up match. Perhaps a brilliant psychological gambit by the Poms to lull the Roos into a fall sense of inevitablility, then turn it on. Or the Roos will win by 100. Either way.

ucantseeme

Juniors
England pool games:
Sat, 26 Oct: v Australia (Cardiff)
Sat, 2 Nov: v Ireland (Huddersfield)
Sat, 9 Nov: v Fiji (Hull)

Can they win any of these games now? Overcome the might of Ireland? Contain the flair of Fiji? Overpower the jet lagged disinterest of the Australians?

newman

First Grade
It is a real concern for the Poms that they might only beat Ireland. I give Fiji a real show against anyone in the tournament.

flamin

Juniors
I think everyone's forgetting the other game played that day where the England reserve side destroyed Samoa, many people's pick for the semifinals.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think everyone's forgetting the other game played that day where the England reserve side destroyed Samoa, many people's pick for the semifinals.

Whos? Based on their failures over the years I very much doubt anyone gives them much of a chance to make the semis this WC. Fiji, Tonga and even PNG are well ahead of Samoa

Im more surprised about France's loss to the USA

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think people are reading entirely too much into what was a very complacent performance by the English. I'm not one to rubbish the achievement of the Italians - who I'd love to see do well - but this was a friendly match and one the English clearly didn't show up for.

As others have pointed out, the Knights demolished a stronger looking Samoan side earlier in the day. I don't see England as being in dire straits just because they had a woeful showing against Italy. Australia very nearly lost to the US back in 2004...

MrAnonymous

Bench

Samoa is a f**king joke of a side they have been for a while now.

Nz will put 80+ on them.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
PoorEnglishmanWithCrapJob said:
"I'm really disappointed," said McNamara. "We've certainly not played anywhere near what we are capable of. That's quite clear to see.
"I just think our mentality was really wrong for this game. We were probably guilty of looking towards next week and we took our eye off this game. I don't think we were fully focused.
"I'm glad it's happened this week in a way rather than next week. I'm sure we will be a whole lot better for it next week.
"We've got a lot of work to do between now and then but I'm very confident we will get that work done and that we will put in a much-improved performance next week.
LINK

Poor fella
Poor Sam

imagesource.php

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it's better for england to lose now than next week. they'll be fired up for the roos. i'd have rather they put 50 on italy. is there video of proper highlights? (not that stupid thing posted before which just showed england)

Misanthrope

Staff member
That was an exhibition match in the USA to promote the sport and you can be sure Wayne Bennett would have told the team to make it a contest.

:lol: I'm sure he said "Go out and let them get a 24 point lead".

I wish that's how we worked. We could afford to lose a World Cup or two.