What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingard

Coach
So he's not even the best fullback that Parramatta have had? F**k, you must rate him pretty highly then!

I saw Thornett play and I've seen Hayne play. I reckon it's a pretty close call. Hayne has to contend with Slater, Stuart, Dugan. Thornett's contemporaries were Keith Barnes, Les Johns, Graeme Langlands.
Parramatta were not half the team when either of them was out injured.

lingard

Coach
Does anyone know much about this Easts utility, Ben Jones, who is apparently training for a contract with us?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Does anyone know much about this Easts utility, Ben Jones, who is apparently training for a contract with us?

There is a snippet in the very first post of the thread about the Eels erasing the pain of the 2013 wooden spoon. Apparently he has until Feb to prove himself.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

He's 24 next year, and has played 35 NRL games. Twenty one of those came in 2009 (the year he turned 19) for the wooden spooners.

Has not played first grade since 2011 (when he played eight games for the Cowboys, winning half of them).

Interestingly, he has played mostly at centre, as well as in the halves. The fact he's played centre means he must defend well (at least for a halfback).

His breakdown of starting positions is thus:

Fullback: 1 start (0 wins)
Centre: 17 starts (4 wins)
Halves: 8 starts (3 wins)
Bench: 9 starts (3 wins)

Factoids by year:

2008: Turned 18, played one game (a loss) off the bench for the Roosters. Coached by Fittler.

2009: Coached by Fittler. One game at fullback, 10 games at centre, five games at five eighth, five off the bench. Wooden spooners.

2010: Coached by Brian Smith. Four games at centre, one off the bench. Interestingly Smith didn't use him in the halves, and didn't retain him (for whatever reason). The Roosters were very strong that year, making the grand final, however only won two from five with Jones in the team, and conceded 30 points twice and 60 points once while he played centre. So maybe he is a shit defender after all.

2011: Coached by Neil Henry. Two games off the bench, three games at centre, three games at halfback. What's interesting here is two wins from three games at halfback (actually left half) while Thurston was out injured.

2012: Contracted to the Cowboys but did not play any first grade.

2013: Contracted to the Roosters but did not play any first grade.

Here's an article about him from 2011, including quotes by Neil Henry and Arthur Beetson: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/henrys-backing-ben-to-fill-void/story-e6frg7mf-1226100093087

Beetson said:
He's a terrific little player. I've been a bit surprised they haven't used him more in there because we (Roosters) bought him as a No 7 or No 6. He played most of his junior football as a five-eighth.

He's a very competitive and tough player like Thurston. He might not have the skills yet of JT but he's got the same will to win. Neil Henry is a smart bloke so he's recognised that fact. Ben's utility value is plain to see but he'll do the job at halfback.

parra pete

Referee
I saw Thornett play and I've seen Hayne play. I reckon it's a pretty close call. Hayne has to contend with Slater, Stuart, Dugan. Thornett's contemporaries were Keith Barnes, Les Johns, Graeme Langlands.
Parramatta were not half the team when either of them was out injured.

I am biased so it is hard for me to comment fairly..BUT I have huge wrap on Jarryd Hayne who can do the most extraordinary things. Ken was more consistent. Even on an off day he was outstanding. It was a time when Parramatta 'needed' a hero---- and Ken was IT....

This was a ditty I wrote for the Telegraph 50/50 Letterettes in 1964....

Parramatta, you're the greatest,
All your team moves are the latest,
Ken Thornett, he's our star,
To see him we would travel far,
but please Oh Kenny don't get hurt,
For without you, we're not worth a squirt..

spiderdan

Bench
A couple of rooster supporter mates of mine, when I asked them, said Ben jones was one of the ones big Artie was way off about. Artie had similar high opinions of jamie Russo.

lingard

Coach
He's 24 next year, and has played 35 NRL games. Twenty one of those came in 2009 (the year he turned 19) for the wooden spooners.

Has not played first grade since 2011 (when he played eight games for the Cowboys, winning half of them).

Interestingly, he has played mostly at centre, as well as in the halves. The fact he's played centre means he must defend well (at least for a halfback).

His breakdown of starting positions is thus:

Fullback: 1 start (0 wins)
Centre: 17 starts (4 wins)
Halves: 8 starts (3 wins)
Bench: 9 starts (3 wins)

Factoids by year:

2008: Turned 18, played one game (a loss) off the bench for the Roosters. Coached by Fittler.

2009: Coached by Fittler. One game at fullback, 10 games at centre, five games at five eighth, five off the bench. Wooden spooners.

2010: Coached by Brian Smith. Four games at centre, one off the bench. Interestingly Smith didn't use him in the halves, and didn't retain him (for whatever reason). The Roosters were very strong that year, making the grand final, however only won two from five with Jones in the team, and conceded 30 points twice and 60 points once while he played centre. So maybe he is a shit defender after all.

2011: Coached by Neil Henry. Two games off the bench, three games at centre, three games at halfback. What's interesting here is two wins from three games at halfback (actually left half) while Thurston was out injured.

2012: Contracted to the Cowboys but did not play any first grade.

2013: Contracted to the Roosters but did not play any first grade.

Here's an article about him from 2011, including quotes by Neil Henry and Arthur Beetson: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/henrys-backing-ben-to-fill-void/story-e6frg7mf-1226100093087

Thanks. I guess the ball's in his court. He sounds fairly ordinary, though.

Delboy

First Grade
I believe Foran was signed and trains as a 9, he is not quick enough to play in the halves according too reports

Jones will have to do something special in the trials methinks

Avenger

Immortal
Foran sounds like a slower version of Casey McGuire. I would rather ZDC come from the bench than these has beens.

I am biased so it is hard for me to comment fairly..BUT I have huge wrap on Jarryd Hayne who can do the most extraordinary things. Ken was more consistent. Even on an off day he was outstanding. It was a time when Parramatta 'needed' a hero---- and Ken was IT....

This was a ditty I wrote for the Telegraph 50/50 Letterettes in 1964....

Parramatta, you're the greatest,
All your team moves are the latest,
Ken Thornett, he's our star,
To see him we would travel far,
but please Oh Kenny don't get hurt,
For without you, we're not worth a squirt..

I guess it's no cheesier than the rugby union poems that they used print in the SMH.

And good on you for forseeing the future rise of our greatest ever five-eighth.

Bigfella

Coach
What about the random change from third person to second person halfway through? What was that meant to symbolise Pete?

Status
Not open for further replies.