What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers' landmark deal could become NRL boardroom blueprint

This is a step in the right dirrection,squabling between the two boards only lead to a untenable situation where nothing positive was being achieved off field, and to some degree probably affected the morale and performances of the players on field.
The Balmain redevelopment sure is messy but we need it resolved,the Wests faction have every right to be pissed with the Tigers for not providing their financial share for the WTclub as agreed when the joint venture formed.
Times change and hopefully the Balmain board will get their finances sorted for the benefit of the WT like the Wests board has since the joint venture began as there was a time when the Magpies were cash strapped too.

Matchball

Bench
Well first & foremost, does Balmain have an assets? If not, then i'm not sure they can service any sizeable loan. The development needs to get approved realistically within the next 12 to 18 months.

Where's Benny?

Tiger get no cash out of the deal. Just space for 15 years paying rent.
Ridiculous whoever let this happen.

Matchball

Bench
AN OPEN LETTER TO TIGERS FANS

I write to you not as the Mayor of Leichhardt but as a lifelong supporter of the mighty Balmain Tigers. When he passed away my father wanted his ashes scattered at Leichhardt Oval. Like so many of you, support for the Tigers is part of our family tradition.

That is why I am so concerned with how the Club's loyal supporters are being exploited and misled by international developers Rozelle Village. The Club’s administrators are now asking you to turn out for a rally to support the skyscraper proposal in Rozelle. Before giving them your
support you deserve answers to these questions.

1. Why won't Rozelle Village provide a written guarantee that the Leagues Club can have a permanent home in their skyscrapers?

The developers claim to be ‘bringing the Tigers home’ but at this stage the Club will only be given a temporary space for 15 years, while paying full commercial rents. A fair deal would see the Club given a 100 year lease - rent free!

2. Why will the Club not receive a cent from the development while Benny Elias and his partners make millions?

Our Club will not receive any cash payment if the development proceeds despite the fact that the developers admit they stand to make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. This is in stark contrast to the deal negotiated by Cronulla Leagues Club for their redevelopment that
guarantees them a share of the profits and long term financial security. Media reports suggest Rozelle Village has already received hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest repayments from our Club.

3. Why is Eddie Obeid dragging our proud Club's name through the mud?

Being a Tiger is about having integrity. It has been revealed at the ICAC hearings that Eddie Obeid has been lobbying behind closed doors to have the skyscrapers approved. Why is he involved? Now his business associate Nick Di Girolamo has been appointed Chairman of Wests Tigers. Surely our Club should keep as far away as possible from Eddie Obeid and his mates.

4. Why skyscrapers?

The developer already has a rezoning from Leichhardt Council that would allow them to build up to 12 storeys, they could bring in an application tomorrow that would be approved. Why are they insisting on having a development so big it has been opposed by Roads and Maritime services and does not comply with a single one of the State Government's planning controls? Through their greed Rozelle Village have alienated the vast majority of local residents including many of the Club's most loyal supporters. The very people the Club will depend on when it returns.

5. Is the current Club Administration planning to walk away from Leichhardt Oval?

We have been told this monstrous proposal is about bringing the boys home but at the same time the Wests Tigers administrators have suggested this will be our last year playing at Leichhardt Oval. Why are they willing to lobby so hard for the profits of Benny and his mates while walking away from our spiritual home without a fight?

Every loyal member and supporter of our Club deserves answers to these questions before we put our trust in Rozelle Village. Otherwise we are just being exploited.

Yours sincerely,
Darcy Byrne
Mayor of Leichhardt
The issues raised by the mayor.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I heard bits and pieces of talking sport's interview with Grant Mayer today. I'm sure I heard him say that the wests tigers brand was the only brand for either wests or balmain the NRL would register in the premiership. If what I heard was correct that has just closed the door for a balmain or western suburbs magpies return.

Grant Meyer is a buy in, who wouldn't have a clue.

I know that Balmain supporters believe that the tigers emblem is a goer, no argument; but if the Magpie is not one of the biggest selling mascots/emblems Australian wide than I will stand f**king.

As said, I don't wish to see another foundation club fold; but if it happens (no fault of Wests Magpies) there is no real reason that Western Suburbs Magpies could not enter the fold. Mayer wouldn't have a clue, the north shore prick.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Great news for WTs and fans.

In terms of the Balmain contribution, the development is under assessment by the Planning Dept. It will be determined by the PAC and Leichhardt Council has no role in the decision making progress. The letter from the Mayor appears to be an indication he is concerned this will be assessed and determined on merit and not be subject to local politics.

I could be wrong but if is my understanding Balmain will receive income from the rental of the retail space ie Coles or Woolworths plus other shops.

MU, I wouldn't in anyway undersell the Balmain future. I believe there are many from Balmain working very hard to get this up. The site is well located 3kms from the CBD and on major transport routes ie bus to the city. It is badly needed in an area well known for housing supply shortage and affordability. Imagine the impact on the club if a favourable decision is reached!

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
:clap:

In terms of the Balmain contribution, the development is under assessment by the Planning Dept. It will be determined by the PAC and Leichhardt Council has no role in the decision making progress. The letter from the Mayor appears to be an indication he is concerned this will be assessed and determined on merit and not be subject to local politics.

I could be wrong but if is my understanding Balmain will receive income from the rental of the retail space ie Coles or Woolworths plus other shops.

MU, I wouldn't in anyway undersell the Balmain future. I believe there are many from Balmain working very hard to get this up. The site is well located 3kms from the CBD and on major transport routes ie bus to the city. It is badly needed in an area well known for housing supply shortage and affordability. Imagine the impact on the club if a favourable decision is reached!

:clap:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

I wouldn't say i'm underselling Balmain's future, i'm just struggling to be confident that the development will get the go ahead in time, based purely on its current progress.

Furthermore, am i right in saying that the only money Balmain makes from the development is via club profits? If so, i don't see how they can raise the required funds in time.

Matchball

Bench
Doesn't matter if it goes ahead or not.
We get no benefit off the development because we have incurred 9 million plus debt and a crap deal was drawn up for us by 'insiders'
No free rent, no cash injection at all. No rent into the clubs coffers.

We have absolutely no income coming in and probably won't ever.

I cant help but feel a lot of this redevelopment debacle could of been avoided if Harry Triguboff was at least consulted about it.His sponsorship and support showed at least he had the WT best interest at heart,stating the obvious, failing to utilise his expertise was ludicrous from a business sense,that has left the redevelopment project in a perilous and vulnerable state that could of been prevented with better foresight.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So, from what I can gather through this thread;

*The 3 independent board members will be selected by the 2 wests and 2 Balmain board members, from a short list created by the arlc.
*Balmain is being bailed out by the ARLC. As a result, Balmain have no voting rights until the money is repaid. (does this include selecting the independent board members?)
*If Balmain cannot repay the money in 2 years, Wests can take over the Wests Tigers.
*Balmain is currently awaiting on the approval of developments of the old Balmain Leagues club as a cash/income injection, which isn't looking likely?
*The ARLC won't allow the Wests Tigers to be renamed as the Magpies.

Have I missed anything?

magpie4ever

First Grade
So, from what I can gather through this thread;

*The 3 independent board members will be selected by the 2 wests and 2 Balmain board members, from a short list created by the arlc.
*Balmain is being bailed out by the ARLC. As a result, Balmain have no voting rights until the money is repaid. (does this include selecting the independent board members?)
*If Balmain cannot repay the money in 2 years, Wests can take over the Wests Tigers.
*Balmain is currently awaiting on the approval of developments of the old Balmain Leagues club as a cash/income injection, which isn't looking likely?
*The ARLC won't allow the Wests Tigers to be renamed as the Magpies.

Have I missed anything?

Yeah, don't expect the Western Suburbs Rugby League Club (Ashfield) to keep providing a grant to the Wests Tigers football club if Balmain RL club goes belly up, without having the naming rights of the NRL side.

The Wests Tigers and the NRL will need to have a business plan that doesn't include a Wests league club grant.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
That is the idea anyway. Remove any reliance on old money and ideas through smart business practice

Oh and Wests Ashfield is not and never will be Wests Football club. They are a business who is concerned with the bottom line and not petty gripes

Matchball

Bench
The Wests Tigers and the NRL will need to have a business plan that doesn't include a Wests league club grant.

Its funny that you speak for the club and fans when many magpies fans won't agree with this sentiment.
Not even the weather man is as deluded as you.

R2Coupe

Juniors
MU, my understanding (and I could be wrong) is the club will receive income from the rental of the retail facilities plus whatever profits from the club.

I really can't understand the negativity about the proposal or its future. No decision has been made and the proposal will be assessed and determined on its merit. Good news for all WTs fans.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Doesn't matter if it goes ahead or not.
We get no benefit off the development because we have incurred 9 million plus debt and a crap deal was drawn up for us by 'insiders'
No free rent, no cash injection at all. No rent into the clubs coffers.

We have absolutely no income coming in and probably won't ever.

Matchball, the loan from the NRL has to be repaid. The 2 years I imagine is the time estimated before profits are realised.

To me, immediate benefits include

employment during and after construction
an increase in new units in a fashionable area close to the city
better retail facilities Coles, Woolworths and other stores may be interested
Balmain club back in business
Rental income and club profits

Matchball

Bench
Matchball, the loan from the NRL has to be repaid. The 2 years I imagine is the time estimated before profits are realised.

I think you misunderstand.
The club gets nothing. We had our debts paid by the developers in exchange for the development.

We get no rent from commercial space. Tigers get 15 year lease and have to pay full commercial rent in that time.
We get no cash from unit sales, that's for Benny and co.

Tigers have had their debts cleared but we pay interest and admin to Benny and co as we speak.

Please read the full article from the mayor link.
In response to today's decision by administrators of the Balmain Tigers to hold a rally, on March 2nd, in support of skyscrapers in Rozelle, Leichhardt Mayor Darcy Byrne has released an open letter to Club members warning them against being exploited by developers.

SEE OPEN LETTER TO TIGERS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS BELOW.

?Rozelle Village and its part owner Benny Elias, are playing on the passions of Tigers fans for financial gain? Councillor Byrne said.

?I?m a passionate supporter of the Tigers and it is simply exploitation of the fans for the Club to organise a rally while the developers still refuse to give any written guarantee that the club will* have a permanent home in the new development.

?As it stands, this redevelopment will deliver huge profits for Mr Elias and his mates, but not a single dollar for the club? said Cr Byrne.

Investigations by journalists have unearthed evidence that the Club is paying above market interest rates and excessive administration fees on a loan from Rozelle Village that has forced the Tigers into millions of dollars of debt.

?It?s time for Club administrators to clearly explain to members why they should support a deal that has so few benefits for the Club" said Cr Byrne.

?I will continue to fight for a sensible redevelopment that allows the leagues club to return to Rozelle and for the Tigers to continue to play at their spiritual home of Leichhardt Oval.?

ENDS

Media contact: Darcy Byrne - 0404528277

AN OPEN LETTER TO TIGERS FANS

I write to you not as the Mayor of Leichhardt but as a lifelong supporter of the mighty Balmain Tigers. When he passed away my father wanted his ashes scattered at Leichhardt Oval. Like so many of you, support for the Tigers is part of our family tradition.

That is why I am so concerned with how the Club's loyal supporters are being exploited and misled by international developers Rozelle Village. The Club?s administrators are now asking you to turn out for a rally to support the skyscraper proposal in Rozelle. Before giving them your
support you deserve answers to these questions.

1. Why won't Rozelle Village provide a written guarantee that the Leagues Club can have a permanent home in their skyscrapers?

The developers claim to be ?bringing the Tigers home? but at this stage the Club will only be given a temporary space for 15 years, while paying full commercial rents. A fair deal would see the Club given a 100 year lease - rent free!

2. Why will the Club not receive a cent from the development while Benny Elias and his partners make millions?

Our Club will not receive any cash payment if the development proceeds despite the fact that the developers admit they stand to make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. This is in stark contrast to the deal negotiated by Cronulla Leagues Club for their redevelopment that
guarantees them a share of the profits and long term financial security. Media reports suggest Rozelle Village has already received hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest repayments from our Club.

3. Why is Eddie Obeid dragging our proud Club's name through the mud?

Being a Tiger is about having integrity. It has been revealed at the ICAC hearings that Eddie Obeid has been lobbying behind closed doors to have the skyscrapers approved. Why is he involved? Now his business associate Nick Di Girolamo has been appointed Chairman of Wests Tigers. Surely our Club should keep as far away as possible from Eddie Obeid and his mates.

4. Why skyscrapers?

The developer already has a rezoning from Leichhardt Council that would allow them to build up to 12 storeys, they could bring in an application tomorrow that would be approved. Why are they insisting on having a development so big it has been opposed by Roads and Maritime services and does not comply with a single one of the State Government's planning controls? Through their greed Rozelle Village have alienated the vast majority of local residents including many of the Club's most loyal supporters. The very people the Club will depend on when it returns.

5. Is the current Club Administration planning to walk away from Leichhardt Oval?

We have been told this monstrous proposal is about bringing the boys home but at the same time the Wests Tigers administrators have suggested this will be our last year playing at Leichhardt Oval. Why are they willing to lobby so hard for the profits of Benny and his mates while walking away from our spiritual home without a fight?

Every loyal member and supporter of our Club deserves answers to these questions before we put our trust in Rozelle Village. Otherwise we are just being exploited.

Yours sincerely,
Darcy Byrne
Mayor of Leichhardt

innsaneink

Referee

I think youre dreaming

Last edited: