What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wato

Juniors
Sansa went and whined to Cersei about how Ned was taking them back to Winterfell. She's as stupid as her damn mother. If she were in any of her sibling's positions she would be dead. At least at King's Landing there were people looking out for her. Arya and Bran haven't had that.

And I quite like Sansa in the books following the first.

While that is true, Sansa was a 14 year old girl and acted accordingly. Ned could have avoided the whole issue if he had taken advantage of the power he had as kings hand and called Roberts Banners against the Lannisters. THe blaming of Sansa for the incident is a little unfair as Ned warned Cersi and entrusted Baelish both played large roles in his downfall, Sansa did not help the situation but Ned was destined to fail.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Firstly, I'd like to say Eddard is probably my favourite character just behind Tyrion.

But I could argue his honour has caused more harm than good.

Springs

First Grade
He wrote a letter to Stannis saying come and get the throne. Stannis was the head of the Baratheons at the time not Ned.
They wouldn't believe Ned (who was officially no longer Hand of the King) when he has no proof against Joffrey, but they would likely believe Stannis.

The main thing Ned did wrong was trust Littlefinger, but that was on Catelyn's dumb advice. So pretty much the stupidest thing he did was trust the word of his wife and daughter.
And then of course the luck was against him with Robert's hunting mishap. Cersei might have wished for that outcome but it was very lucky it came off.

Springs

First Grade
Firstly, I'd like to say Eddard is probably my favourite character just behind Tyrion.

But I could argue his honour has caused more harm than good.

Because everyone around him was so severely dishonourable that honour was next to useless. It's like telling the truth when everyone around you is telling the same lie. Definitely doesn't mean honour and honesty is bad though.
His plan would have still worked fine if Robert had not died stupidly.

Martin likes to show the horrors of humanity and how evil wins but to do so he makes a lot of his good characters do a lot of stupid things. One of the reasons Tyrion is so popular is because he is (mostly) good and intelligent, a rarity in that world.

Last edited:

Wato

Juniors
He wrote a letter to Stannis saying come and get the throne. Stannis was the head of the Baratheons at the time not Ned.
They wouldn't believe Ned (who was officially no longer Hand of the King) when he has no proof against Joffrey, but they would likely believe Stannis.

The main thing Ned did wrong was trust Littlefinger, but that was on Catelyn's dumb advice. So pretty much the stupidest thing he did was trust the word of his wife and daughter.
And then of course the luck was against him with Robert's hunting mishap. Cersei might have wished for that outcome but it was very lucky it came off.

Have to disagree there. Ned sits the throne in Roberts extended absence as the hand of the king and could have used that office against the Lannisters, he is even provided with the opportunity to do so when he sends a Skelton crew led by Dondarrion to pursue the mountain. He could have instead called Roberts Banners against the Lannisters for breaking the Kings peace and laying siege to riverrun who were under the Kings protection. The honour thing is interesting were did it come from as it's not particularly a Stark trait.

Springs

First Grade
Well what he should really have done is just told his dumb wife to release Tyrion.

His honour clearly came from his father and brother, both honourable men if the history is to be believed.

In the end Ned was stupid because the story needed him to be.
Also calling the banners would take forever. The letters would have hardly reached them by the time Robert got back.

Wato

Juniors
Well what he should really have done is just told his dumb wife to release Tyrion.

His honour clearly came from his father and brother, both honourable men if the history is to be believed.

In the end Ned was stupid because the story needed him to be.
Also calling the banners would take forever. The letters would have hardly reached them by the time Robert got back.

Cat was rather foolish in how she handled the Tyrion situation. Calling Roberts banners would have put events in motion that would have forced the Lannisters hand and helped protect Ned. Brandon and Rickards honour does not hamper them politically thou, you only need to look at Lady Dustins detain for Rickard and the political matches to ambition she alludes too.

Springs

First Grade
I don't think Ned's honour hampered him politically, he made dumb decisions that really had nothing to do with honour. Robert dying and his trust of Littlefinger were the reasons he failed, and they had nothing to do with his honour. And his lying to protect Cat by saying taking Tyrion was his command was actually rather dishonourable.
Ned's honour, honesty and loyalty were things that made the entire North go to war for his freedom. They wouldn't do that to free Roose Bolton. And even in current events while under Bolton rule they are still loyal to Ned and his children.
No one liked Joffrey, Tywin or Cersei. They got their power by being born or married into it. The Starks weren't rich nor did they have the political power of the Lannisters, it's Ned's good will that has him still influencing events long after his death, by the way of his loyal Northmen. If he had not had that honour and loyalty his men wouldn't give two shits that he was captured and even less after him and Robb are dead.

Wato

Juniors
I don't think Ned's honour hampered him politically, he made dumb decisions that really had nothing to do with honour. Robert dying and his trust of Littlefinger were the reasons he failed, and they had nothing to do with his honour. And his lying to protect Cat by saying taking Tyrion was his command was actually rather dishonourable.
Ned's honour, honesty and loyalty were things that made the entire North go to war for his freedom. They wouldn't do that to free Roose Bolton. And even in current events while under Bolton rule they are still loyal to Ned and his children.
No one liked Joffrey, Tywin or Cersei. They got their power by being born or married into it. The Starks weren't rich nor did they have the political power of the Lannisters, it's Ned's good will that has him still influencing events long after his death, by the way of his loyal Northmen. If he had not had that honour and loyalty his men wouldn't give two shits that he was captured and even less after him and Robb are dead.

I agree with much of what you say in regards to the Norths loyalty to the Starks and Tywin creating his empire via political acumen compared to Starks building there's through loyalty. I would argue Ned lacks the political acumen of his father thou judging by Rickards actions before Roberts rebellion. Rickard manages to gain major influence in 4 of the 7 kingdoms via marriage pacts and then later on Robb rebels it's these pacts that see the riverlands come to Robbs side and the lords of the vale even wish to join Robb. I am a fan of Ned but he has some major flaws.

RedVDave

First Grade
After a few quite in a row episodes (which is understandable considering the first 2 episodes were so awesome) tonights was really, really good!

Eddie Lab

Juniors
that speech was amazing. just give Peter all the awards. rewatched it a few times and that stare down with the smallest of smirks from Tyrion was such a good way to end the episode

Tommy Smith

Referee
That speech was one of my favourite moments of the whole series to date.

Just immense. What a superb actor Peter Dinklage is.

I can't wait to see how this pans out. In my wet dreams we'll see the Mountain vs Oberyn in a trial by combat.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That speech was one of my favourite moments of the whole series to date.

Just immense. What a superb actor Peter Dinklage is.

I can't wait to see how this pans out. In my wet dreams we'll see the Mountain vs Oberyn in a trial by combat.
Agreed, that whole court scene was just superb. Great episode.

HowHigh

Coach
It's episodes like that which really tempt me to read up on spoilers but thankfully I've always had the self control not to.

f**k I hate that Shae whore even more now, she was only a whiny annoying bitch before.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Spoilers would be f**ked, but actually reading the books it hits harder. You don't get a week to cool off, and a bunch of inane bullshit to pad out the episode.

Apey

Staff member
Found the Stannis & Daenarys stuff boring as shit but the rest was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.