What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Noname36

First Grade
Has anyone actually seen Scott play this year? Genuine question. I wouldn't want to watch the Knights either.

He's as tough as nails, runs great lines, has added a very effective offload to his game, and you can stick him next to Reynolds who I think might need a bit of help in defence. He will also keep trying to create things right until the death even when his side has given up. He never gives an inch.

He's a perfect fit for Origin, especially with Bird out. At the very least he's 10x better than Hoffman.

Springs

First Grade
If Josh Jackson is picked it's just another Jamie Buhrer selection. They are good players but back in the queue at the moment. He'll get 15 minutes game time then if they lose he'll be dropped so they look like they are doing something.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Wade Graham has been knocking on the door for a few years now, must be disheartening to watch Williams, Scott, Hoffman and Jackson get picked ahead of him.

Johns Magic

Referee
Wade Graham has been knocking on the door for a few years now, must be disheartening to watch Williams, Scott, Hoffman and Jackson get picked ahead of him.

I was a real Wade fan(still am) but he has regressed the last year or so.

If he pulls his finger out he will be an Origin great but I don't think he's hard done by this year.

ek999

First Grade
Anyone suggesting Carney should get picked clearly hasn't been watching him at all. He is making Benji look like an immortal

big hit!

Bench
Anyone suggesting Carney should get picked clearly hasn't been watching him at all. He is making Benji look like an immortal

I don't think too many are apart from Maher.

Carney is the biggest defensive liability of all the halves in contention. As much as his attacking abilities are one of the best in the state, defence is a massive X on him. When he's targeted, his attacking game falls apart too. Very much a confidence player.

Too much emphasis is placed on form. Form is a variable that can be affected by the players around you at club level and the structures the coach has in place. Souths, Canterbury & Easts all benefit from the same thing. Their form comes from the blokes in the middle - Toleman, Graham, Eastwood Kasiano, Klemmer for the Dogs; Sam, George, Tom & Lima last year for Souths; & Moa, JWH, FPN, Kennedy last year for Easts. How many of them can be picked for NSW?? All 6 inferior halves and some of the outside forwards of these clubs benefit from what their superior team mates in the engine room do. When the chips are down, these support players have nothing.

Fulton & the coaches have no idea.

Look at the attributes players have first and foremost. Select based on this. Problem is, Fulton and Daley (& Stuart before him) don't know how too or are lazy to do the work. They take the easy option of selecting a bunch of support players from a club team in form for a few weeks. Shame most of the players contributing to the dominance of these teams can't be picked!!

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Love Tolman's work rate but surely he'll just get buried in Origin. Hits the line like wet tissue paper and is too small to do any damage.

Spot On

Coach
Apparently this is the team, APPARENTLY

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Daniel Tupou
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. James Tamou
9. Robbie Farah
10. Aaron Woods
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Beau Scott
13. Paul Gallen (c)

14. Trent Merrin
15. Tony Williams
16. Luke Lewis
17. Josh Jackson

I'll be shocked if that's the bench they go with.

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors

Have to agree . Williams being selected over you would be enough to change your alliance to the Tasmanian team .

Im as proud a New South Welshman as the next guy but I must admit it wouldn't pain me to see us get pumped 3 shit if it meant Daley and his cronies gets run out of town .

big hit!

Bench
Has anyone actually seen Scott play this year? Genuine question. I wouldn't want to watch the Knights either.

He's as tough as nails, runs great lines, has added a very effective offload to his game, and you can stick him next to Reynolds who I think might need a bit of help in defence. He will also keep trying to create things right until the death even when his side has given up. He never gives an inch.

He's a perfect fit for Origin, especially with Bird out. At the very least he's 10x better than Hoffman.

Agree entirely.

He's shining in a team that's getting absolutely pummelled in the middle, creating problems for the opposition with Mullen on the right side of the field with little to no go forward from the middle third of the field.

With Lewis a little under done, Scott is the next best available for the right side of the field.

Hoffman wouldn't have been selected if it weren't for Bird being suspended. Bird would've been selected on Hoffman's left-side with Gal in the middle, and Fifita, Tamou, Merrin & Woods and Watmough as the remainder of the middle rotation with Gal.

big hit!

Bench
Love Tolman's work rate but surely he'll just get buried in Origin. Hits the line like wet tissue paper and is too small to do any damage.

No doubt. Looks busy, but Graham is the battering ram of the 3 starters in Canterbury's middle third and along with the more agile Eastwood, they create a lot of the initial go forward. Then there's Kasiano to continue the damage off the bench!

Get the opposition onto the back foot continually and any pair of halves and outside forwards like Williams will have the advantage.

Williams has nothing when he has to meet a defensive line that is set and moving up early. We saw that last year when Graham and kasiano missed plenty of game time. He has benefited from some good work this season and at Manly from the boys in the engine room.

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
I don't think too many are apart from Maher.

Carney is the biggest defensive liability of all the halves in contention. As much as his attacking abilities are one of the best in the state, defence is a massive X on him. When he's targeted, his attacking game falls apart too. Very much a confidence player.

Too much emphasis is placed on form. Form is a variable that can be affected by the players around you at club level and the structures the coach has in place. Souths, Canterbury & Easts all benefit from the same thing. Their form comes from the blokes in the middle - Toleman, Graham, Eastwood Kasiano, Klemmer for the Dogs; Sam, George, Tom & Lima last year for Souths; & Moa, JWH, FPN, Kennedy last year for Easts. How many of them can be picked for NSW?? All 6 inferior halves and some of the outside forwards of these clubs benefit from what their superior team mates in the engine room do. When the chips are down, these support players have nothing.

Fulton & the coaches have no idea.

Look at the attributes players have first and foremost. Select based on this. Problem is, Fulton and Daley (& Stuart before him) don't know how too or are lazy to do the work. They take the easy option of selecting a bunch of support players from a club team in form for a few weeks. Shame most of the players contributing to the dominance of these teams can't be picked!!

Thing is, Carney can barely move at the moment so even if he won't even provide anything in attack let alone taking into account his massive defensive issues when he is fully fit. Add in the fact I think he goes missing quite easily in big matches (Origin when he played, 2010 grand final) and he isn't even close to Origin selection IMO.

With the halves, Reynolds is the clear best choice for 5/8 and I don't think there is anyone who is better and uninjured than Hodkinson at halfback. Daley should just copy the formula that has worked for the Bulldogs and pick two 80 minute edge forwards, 3 big starting middle forwards, 3 more big guys and a smaller edge forward on the bench, who can also provide some utility value to cover injuries. I keep changing my mind but I think I would have a forward pack and bench of

Gallen
Farah
Tamou
Scott
Williams
Merrin

Sims
Woods
Watmough
Jackson

Everyone of those forwards are big and mobile and would trouble Qld all night

Love the bloke but I agree completely.

Knightmare

Coach
Above all else, I am just breathing a sigh of relief that Wayne Pearce's son is not in this team. Hopefully his replacement plays a decent game and we never have to hear that other overrated hack's name and State of Origin mentioned in the same sentence ever again.

I don't know what the Blues' chances are this series, but the fact that the Roosters halfback doesn't get another opportunity to hand the game/ series to Qld, coupled with Daley's crackdown on booze, is enough of an indicator to me that NSW is moving forward...

Tommax25

Bench
It's sad that they had to wait for an excuse to get rid of Pearce when everyone else in the world knew he wasn't right for the job. I mean, two players undeserving of selection this year would have been selected just because of Pearce having seeming immunity. Have some f**king balls and just drop him, do the right thing by the team and not Pearce or his dad or whoever was keeping Pearce in the team throughout.

Now NSW have a chance. Kind of funny that in the lead up to the announcement QLD would have been praying Pearce would not get dropped for the incident, and NSW (the vast, vast majority) would have been praying FOR him to be dropped, that's so ass backwards :lol: