What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the dragons the worst team ever to make the finals?

Big Pete

Referee
I'd suggest the 2003 Broncos, who finished in 8th position despite losing their last 8 matches. They gave a fair account of themselves in the 1 vs 8 final at Penrith, leading 18-2 with a gale at their back before capitulating and conceding 26 unanswered points in better than even time to the eventual premiers, who put the cue in the rack in the last 20 minutes with a cricket score beckoning.

Last year's Broncos would come close too.

Then there's the Manly side of 2005. They scraped in ahead of a gaggle of teams after disposing of an extremely inept Raiders side in the last round, but would not have beaten any other of the bottom 8, especially the wooden spooners, Newcastle, who had won 8 of their last 11 (after losing their first 13 in a row) with A Johns in vintage form. Manly were duly demolished by the minor premiers Parramatta, who themselves were gunned down unceremoniously well before the last dance.

All fair shouts, but in those cases, they all had 12-12 records, which distinguishes them from the others.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
A known troll comes on to LU and refers to the NRL premiership as a "flag".

Waking up at 7:00pm is f**king weird after all.

2010Dragons

Bench
Dragons are not the worst team to make the top 8
The dragons are the dumbest team in living football history to make the top 8.
They have workout every trick in the book of " How to play dumbarse footy and lose "
They amaze me and everyone else how they can find another way to lose anther winable game.

Eion

First Grade
They lack a big man up front but have plenty of running in the middle. But there's no doubt they're struggling with disposals and have the colliwobbles now.

Still, benji can be speeecial and turn a game on his boot.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I feel they got very lucky early in the year playing seemingly every game in pouring rain which suited their style of play. Winning games 12-10 isn't something that you can do all year long.

Than again I look at the teams below them and don't think anyone is really better than they are.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Brisbane '15 are an inferior team.

troll-face-look-at-me-i-dont-care-trollface.gif

A better question is whether the Sharks are the worse team to finish top 4 (potentially with a negative for and against).

But as someone said earlier, better to be the worst team that makes the finals, than be the best team that doesn't.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
A better question is whether the Sharks are the worse team to finish top 4 (potentially with a negative for and against).

But as someone said earlier, better to be the worst team that makes the finals, than be the best team that doesn't.

The Bulldogs really should have made the top 4 over them, f**k even Souths could probably claim to have a better squad.

Feel free to get salty Sharkies fans but come the f**k on, take a step back and examine the current top 6 and, considering you were RUNNING LAST in the first 4 rounds of the comp, if there is one team from those 6 that can bear the title of "overachievers", it's the Sharks.

Can you win the premiership if you lock down 4th spot? In this comp, anything is possible if you finish in the top 4, but you guys are entering a finals series in the top 4 with Ben Barba wasting a bench spot and Robson playing the role of your chief playmaker......

Vic Mackey

Referee
At the start of the year if you had of told me the Sharks would come 4th I wouldn't have been overly surprised. I always thought they'd make the 8.

It's pretty much the same team that 2 years in a row made the semis and came 5th in 2013. Last year was a write off, all the off field shit and injuries...no team would have avoided the spoon.

Next year with Maloney on board I think they're a genuine premiership threat.

Edwahu

Bench
The Bulldogs really should have made the top 4 over them, f**k even Souths could probably claim to have a better squad.

Feel free to get salty Sharkies fans but come the f**k on, take a step back and examine the current top 6 and, considering you were RUNNING LAST in the first 4 rounds of the comp, if there is one team from those 6 that can bear the title of "overachievers", it's the Sharks.

Can you win the premiership if you lock down 4th spot? In this comp, anything is possible if you finish in the top 4, but you guys are entering a finals series in the top 4 with Ben Barba wasting a bench spot and Robson playing the role of your chief playmaker......

Pretty harsh on the Sharks. They have 7 wins against top 8 sides, Dogs have 3. Who cares if they win ugly.

POPEYE

Coach
Dragons have flogged the Sharks and Dogs, beat the Roosters and Cowboys once so they are in with a chance of winning the cup lottery . . . but any team that only beats half, 2/3 for that matter, of the competitors in a comp doesn't deserve a ticket

Jason Maher

Immortal
I've always been in favour of bringng back the top 5. Will never happen for commercial reasons, but it's the only way of preventing dross regularly appearing in the finals.

TheFrog

Coach
If you had a top 5 you'd have had at least 5 or 6 teams unable to make the finals 6 weeks out. This is not a good situation for the competition.

Under a Top 5 in a 14 team comp, you had teams with 15 wins from 22 games missing the finals. That's teams better performed than 13 of the 16 teams this year.

The Dragons will probably get eliminated first week of the finals. Having them there is a small price to pay for having a decent balance.

Gina Minehart

Juniors

Dogs can still finish above the sharkettes

MrAnonymous

Bench
Sharks will beat Brisbane if they play in the finals they will grind them into the ground like last time they played.

Latest posts