What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos/Cowboys rivalry

Nucking Futs

Juniors
Yep, the BRL would have quickly turned into what is now with Wally, Gene, Dowling etc. playing for Manly, Dogs etc.

If Joh had allowed pokies though, you may be looking at around 3 to 4 clubs being part of a ARL, speculatively I imagine Wynnum, Redcliffe, Norths and maybe someone like Easts.

Yep, the BRL would have quickly turned into what is now with Wally, Gene, Dowling etc. playing for Manly, Dogs etc.

If Joh had allowed pokies though, you may be looking at around 3 to 4 clubs being part of a ARL, speculatively I imagine Wynnum, Redcliffe, Norths and maybe someone like Easts.

If this scenario did play out and the new comp acknowledged the past premierships won in BRL like they did with the NSW cup clubs, Fortified Valleys would have been Australia's most successful professional club in rugby league history, having won 24 premierships over Rabbitohs 21.

fightingirish69

Juniors
BRL was already on the decline way before Broncos came on the scene thanks to the richer pokie machine back clubs in NSWs cup buying up QLDs best talents for years. This meant that it was the Sydney clubs that destroyed the great Brisbane clubs. Broncos was just an aftermath.

what you say doesn't make sense. after the bronco's were formed all qld's good players went to play in the nswrl anyway. the brisbane bronco's started as a nswrl team not a qrl team, hence the bronco's didn't keep players in queensland it just gave them a team to play for in the sydney comp.

flippikat

Bench

Gees that's one hell of a "What if".. if the Brisbane clubs had managed to keep their best players with pokie money, the negotiations to bring the NSWRL & BRL competitions together would have been interesting.

Last Week

Bench
I hate Channel 9's angle on this. There's maroon jizz on the chin of half the commentators, mainly Tallis and Yvonne Sampson.

This is about 2 clubs where one has always been in the shadow of the other. Kind of like how Qld was always in NSW's shadow, always got the short end of the stick, always second fiddle, Brisbane, like NSW would seemingly always have the advantages. The Broncos are the Queensland version of NSW.

Latest posts