What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess not in Sonny's class.

shiznit

Coach
Haha seriously? Because Google says he's class?

Don't get it twisted, SBW's management implores him to look for PR opportunities to push his brand. That kid ran on the field, the security guy did his job and all of a sudden SBW is a hero? Oh and how about how he said the kid was 7-8...he was 14 :lol: Great, great sportsman. Absolute dunce bloke and not classy. And I loved him before he walked on the Dogs.

Haha fair, the squirrel grip wasn't ideal. Still, 2008 won't be beaten.
:lol:

image.jpg

So I take it that Khoder was hidden behind the goalposts when he was on the field instructing Sonny to do this... :roll:

Everyone to a man that's played with the guy has had nothing but absolute positive things to say about the guy... And that's in rugby and league... But some people still carry this crazy dislike for the guy that they ignore common sense... It's hilarious really... :lol:

By all means... Hate the guy if you don't like him... But don't start making out to be a character issue... Because we all know it's obviously not...

magpie4ever

First Grade
Sam's limited in his play. Exceptional at what he does but at the end of the day he's a yardage man with extreme hitting power in defence. The ability to create points consistently is what sets SBW apart from Burgess, it's that touch of dare I say it... class.

Not that there's any shame in that, SBW is the greatest talent to come out of NZ and one of the most talented forwards we'll ever see.

I know that offends the dinosaurs who have this pre-conceived idea about what a forward really is but SBW re-defined the role of an edge forward and that's what makes him a great. Sam is just doing what plenty have done before him and what plenty will continue to do years after him.

I'm not sure if we'll ever see another SBW, not in my life time anyway.

Dude, how old are you? You obviously have a man crush on the guy plus masturbate furiously to his poster above your bed but "greatest ever", really.

typicalfan

Coach
Sam's limited in his play. Exceptional at what he does but at the end of the day he's a yardage man with extreme hitting power in defence. The ability to create points consistently is what sets SBW apart from Burgess, it's that touch of dare I say it... class.

Not that there's any shame in that, SBW is the greatest talent to come out of NZ and one of the most talented forwards we'll ever see.

I know that offends the dinosaurs who have this pre-conceived idea about what a forward really is but SBW re-defined the role of an edge forward and that's what makes him a great. Sam is just doing what plenty have done before him and what plenty will continue to do years after him.

No he didn't Bradley Clyde could do most of what SBW could do in league with double the workrate.

So please save us your rubbish.

RWB

Bench
No he didn't Bradley Clyde could do most of what SBW could do in league with double the workrate.

So please save us your rubbish.

SBW could play into, before & through the line. His ball playing was at the standard of half play, Clyde was never his equal in ball playing although superior in other categories.

RWB

Bench
Dude, how old are you? You obviously have a man crush on the guy plus masturbate furiously to his poster above your bed but "greatest ever", really.

Re-asses your post and then ask the question "how old are you" whilst keeping a straight face.

Don't try so hard to be funny, it's not your go.

Billythekid

First Grade

Do you even watch league? Burgess creates a lot in attack. Besides the fact he scores tries himself he also has a good offload. That plus there is nothing more dangerous in modern league than being able to draw multiple defenders and get quick play the balls which he excels at. The rabbits whole attack was basically built around Sam and George dominating the ruck to get their attack going. I don't like the bloke but he is an incredible league player.

RWB

Bench
Do you even watch league? Burgess creates a lot in attack. Besides the fact he scores tries himself he also has a good offload. That plus there is nothing more dangerous in modern league than being able to draw multiple defenders and get quick play the balls which he excels at. The rabbits whole attack was basically built around Sam and George dominating the ruck to get their attack going. I don't like the bloke but he is an incredible league player.

Yes Burgess is an incredible league player and yes quick play the balls are an extremely important part on being a yardage man in the modern day game where power running is everything. All this I thought is a pretty basic understanding of the middle third role though and hence didn't need to be explained.

When I said he was an exceptional yardage man it without a doubt encompasses all of the above.

Whilst his role within the team is crucial to the construction of points it's not actually him creating the points. His role is to lay the foundation and structure upon which the team can then create points. That is where he and SBW differ. SBW has the ability to play as a genuine second option ball player, Burgess can not.

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
On what basis is Burgess better at League?

SBW has been a freak at league since the age of 18. I mean he utterly dominated an NRL finals series at 18. Belting quality Penrith and Roosters sides in a Prelim and GF. At 18! And then after a few years away he returns and utterly dominates in another era, leading the Roosters to a Premiership as our best player. It's the best single season I've ever seen from a Roosters player. He was ridiculous.

But alas this is a silly debate. Rabbitoh fans seemingly can't wait to say "but but Sam is better!' rather than admiring the once in a generation talents of both.

That's the way I see it.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not sure how people can bring SBW's character into question, he made a mistake when he was in his early 20's, wouldn't be the first bloke to do so and he's very remorseful about how it unfolded, since then he's been nothing short of a class act, never hear his name in the tabloids, never hear about him falling out with anyone and everyone who's played alongside him has nothing but praise for the guy. A lot of people see how the roosters seem to do very well nurturing young Polynesian players, JWH and Jennings have mentioned many times how big an influence SBW had in helping to build that professional culture at the roosters

magpie4ever

First Grade
Re-asses your post and then ask the question "how old are you" whilst keeping a straight face.

Don't try so hard to be funny, it's not your go.

:lol:

Hilarious, can I put to you assessing football and footballers is, seriously, not your go. Playing NRL on your Playstation or X-box is more suited to you.

slammingsam

Juniors
If my side was down by 6 with 5 to go I'd want SBW on my side - if I was up by 6 with 5 to go I'd want Sam on mine

Rabbits20

Immortal

That's a bias, garbage and uneducated post.

Sam runs good lines to score tries, offloads to set up tries and offloads in general, putting a player into a hole like SBW did. Sam has very very good positional play.

Sam definitely has a higher and more effective workrate than SBW. Sam doesn't fade in and out of games like SBW does.

Rabbits20

Immortal

That's what I said in my above post.

You see the truth mate. Good to see an unbiased opinion.

Once again cheers for your honesty.