What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just got back from watching Suicide Squad and I really enjoyed it. The squad itself has great chemistry and I am completely in love with Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.
The mission the squad is on is a bit of a meh, and that's where the movie disappoints some what.
Leto's Joker is in it more than I though he would be but he is nowhere near as amazing as I thought Ledger was. He is more of a device for Harley to play off.
I'll give it a solid 7.5/10

McNulty

Juniors
So apparently SS squad "suffered" from "Studio Interference".

Guessing the better version will be the directors cut on DVD. Question is, why watch it at the movies?

I'm watching it tonight anyway. Hopefully it is good.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Currently sitting at 42 on meta critic, which puts it lower than BvS.

LOWER than BvS.

Critics got it wrong. Saw it this afternoon and it has a coherent plot so that automatically makes it better than BvS.
Not a great movie, but still enjoyable

Just got back from watching Suicide Squad and I really enjoyed it. The squad itself has great chemistry and I am completely in love with Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.
The mission the squad is on is a bit of a meh, and that's where the movie disappoints some what.
Leto's Joker is in it more than I though he would be but he is nowhere near as amazing as I thought Ledger was. He is more of a device for Harley to play off.
I'll give it a solid 7.5/10

I pretty much agree. I thought it was good, but not great. Harley Quinn stole the show for me. Disappointed with the way the Joker was used, I thought he was wasted. You can almost take the Joker out of the script and it will have no effect on the plot, but Leto played him well and comparisons to Ledger are unavoidable.

Their choice of villain is what let them down, and that tied to their mission. They actually set the movie up pretty well given how many characters were on screen and gave enough of a backstory of the main squad members. Third act was cliched which I don't mind if they had a better villain.

Munky

Coach
Did anyone find the tone shifts really jarring?

The first half hour with the montages to music. The street battle against the faceless goons and the final battle.

Seemed like three different movies

azzah72

Bench
Did anyone find the tone shifts really jarring?

The first half hour with the montages to music. The street battle against the faceless goons and the final battle.

Seemed like three different movies

Id agree with the shifts being a little off but it didn't take me out of the movie too much.

Dialogue was iffy at points too but I was wowed, I laughed and smiled and generally had a good time

Noa

First Grade
Movie sounds like a mess but an easily enjoyable mess.

Ill go check it out with expectations low and brain turned off.

On a seperate note the early word is Doctor Strange in "breathtaking" and the trailer played before SS at 3D cinemas is amazing

Frederick

Staff member
Report: Warner Bros. Turned Suicide Squad Into A Mess In Its Panic Over BvS Criticism
JAMES WHITBROOK4 AUGUST 2016 12:45 PM

The early reviews are in — and many are lambasting Suicide Squad for being a tonal mess. A new report released by The Hollywood Reporter today claims to have the answer as to how that came about, and it apparently has a lot to do with audiences’ less-than-stellar reaction to Batman v Superman — and WB’s worried reaction to that.

The extensive report — sourced through comments from unnamed Warner Bros. insiders, so grain of salt and so on — cites a bevy of stresses about the production of the movie, from an alleged rush to meet its August 2016 release date to a supposed concern about David Ayer’s ability to handle an effects-driven winter blockbuster.

But worries about the approach Ayer was taking with the film apparently got even more heated when Warner Bros. were blindsided by the vicious critical response to Batman v Superman earlier this year:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. “Kevin [Tsujihara, Warner Bros. CEO] was really pissed about damage to the brand,” says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

The concern lead to two alleged rival cuts of the film — one, Ayer’s darker take on the group of villainous misfits, the other a romp that focused on splashy effects and pop-song-infused humour that resonated in the movie’s early trailers. They were both screened for test audiences, until eventually a compromise between the two cuts was found — one that would need extensive reshoots to meld the two wildly different films together, hence the vaunted reports of reshoots that were claimed to “add humour” to the film earlier this year:

In May, Ayer’s more somber version and a lighter, studio-favoured version were tested with audiences in Northern California. “If there are multiple opinions that aren’t in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least,” says an insider. “That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus.” Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analysed, it became clear it was possible to get to “a very common-ground place.” (The studio-favoured version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

The whole thing is definitely worth a read at the link below — and it certainly offers a good reason for the consistent critique in reviews of how Suicide Squad feels like two very different films mushed together. Suffice to say if these allegations are true, there’s probably a lot more pressure on Wonder Woman and Justice League to excel now than there already was.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/08/r...-into-a-mess-in-its-panic-over-bvs-criticism/

Warners would be best to cut ties with the sinking ship that is DC before their studio loses all credibility

Parra Pride

Coach
Not sure if it's because I went in with really low expectations after hearing everybody shit on it, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I got with Suicide Squad, and quite enjoyed the film. A lot of the plot of the film just seemed to be happening way too coincidentally, but the action scenes were fun to watch and the characters were all entertaining for the most part. Captain Boomerang seemed quite pointless in the big scheme of things, but he worked well as comic relief.

PJ

First Grade
Don't judge it on its merits Parra.

Have to filter it through whatever geniused fan boy bias you hold first.

Jono078

Referee
I thought it was alright.

It's just disappointing that both this and BVS could've been so much better with their villian and editing. Editing seems to be the biggest issue with both movies. It's like they film all these cool shots and scenes and whack them all together.

runatme

Bench
Report: Warner Bros. Turned Suicide Squad Into A Mess In Its Panic Over BvS Criticism
JAMES WHITBROOK4 AUGUST 2016 12:45 PM

The early reviews are in — and many are lambasting Suicide Squad for being a tonal mess. A new report released by The Hollywood Reporter today claims to have the answer as to how that came about, and it apparently has a lot to do with audiences’ less-than-stellar reaction to Batman v Superman — and WB’s worried reaction to that.

The extensive report — sourced through comments from unnamed Warner Bros. insiders, so grain of salt and so on — cites a bevy of stresses about the production of the movie, from an alleged rush to meet its August 2016 release date to a supposed concern about David Ayer’s ability to handle an effects-driven winter blockbuster.

But worries about the approach Ayer was taking with the film apparently got even more heated when Warner Bros. were blindsided by the vicious critical response to Batman v Superman earlier this year:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. “Kevin [Tsujihara, Warner Bros. CEO] was really pissed about damage to the brand,” says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

The concern lead to two alleged rival cuts of the film — one, Ayer’s darker take on the group of villainous misfits, the other a romp that focused on splashy effects and pop-song-infused humour that resonated in the movie’s early trailers. They were both screened for test audiences, until eventually a compromise between the two cuts was found — one that would need extensive reshoots to meld the two wildly different films together, hence the vaunted reports of reshoots that were claimed to “add humour” to the film earlier this year:

In May, Ayer’s more somber version and a lighter, studio-favoured version were tested with audiences in Northern California. “If there are multiple opinions that aren’t in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least,” says an insider. “That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus.” Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analysed, it became clear it was possible to get to “a very common-ground place.” (The studio-favoured version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

The whole thing is definitely worth a read at the link below — and it certainly offers a good reason for the consistent critique in reviews of how Suicide Squad feels like two very different films mushed together. Suffice to say if these allegations are true, there’s probably a lot more pressure on Wonder Woman and Justice League to excel now than there already was.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/08/r...-into-a-mess-in-its-panic-over-bvs-criticism/

Warners would be best to cut ties with the sinking ship that is DC before their studio loses all credibility

oh god.... please stop you have any idea in the slightest.

Caped Crusader

Juniors

Lol you do realise that WB owns DC comics yeah? That's like saying Disney should cut ties with Marvel

What's the matter, didn't Wikipedia mention that?

Frederick

Staff member
Lol you do realise that WB owns DC comics yeah? That's like saying Disney should cut ties with Marvel

What's the matter, didn't Wikipedia mention that?
Hey, if a division of a company isn't performing to expectations it's not uncommon for the parent company to try and sever ties with it

Frederick

Staff member
The record box office $$$ suggests that said division is doing alright
Record opening weekend, yes. But if BvS is anything to go by it won't have staying power, will experience a huge drop off next weekend and will end up barely breaking even. Most estimates said that BvS needed to make $800million to break even - it finished its theatrical run with $872million. Hardly record takings there

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Not the whole story there unfortunately mate

BvS was one of the most expensive movies ever made. Would be a tough ask to see record profits there nor were WB expecting it to. It was a launching movie and did its job

SS was a significantly less expensive movie and is doing great numbers. Even with a 50% drop off it will still make profits in the $100Ms.

Again, hardly a division that "isn't performing to expectations"