What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Let clubs and sponsors pay players whatever they want.

Have an independent evaluation body that allocates values to each player which is used for balancing the cap.

It wouldn't be easy nor perfect, but I can't think of a fairer, more effective and more transparent option.

davi

Juniors
West Tigers resign Mosese Suli after offers were made for him from the Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm.

"Mosese Suli has just become the highest-paid player yet to play NRL.

The teenager, considered one of the most promising youngsters in the game, signed a three-year extension, believed to be worth $1.3 million, on Friday to remain at Wests Tigers. The deal is all the more remarkable given he has made just two National Youth Competition appearances, neither of which he was able to finish due to back issues.

For most fans, Suli is the hottest young talent they have never heard of. But astute football judges are aware of his potential and were desperate for his signature.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler and Melbourne counterpart Craig Bellamy personally made pitches to sign Suli. However, the Tigers pulled off a coup via an unprecedented deal that also provides the 18-year-old with an upgrade for the current season."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...king-13-million-nrl-deal-20170128-gu0lap.html

Barkley

Bench
West Tigers resign Mosese Suli after offers were made for him from the Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm.

"Mosese Suli has just become the highest-paid player yet to play NRL.

The teenager, considered one of the most promising youngsters in the game, signed a three-year extension, believed to be worth $1.3 million, on Friday to remain at Wests Tigers. The deal is all the more remarkable given he has made just two National Youth Competition appearances, neither of which he was able to finish due to back issues.

For most fans, Suli is the hottest young talent they have never heard of. But astute football judges are aware of his potential and were desperate for his signature.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler and Melbourne counterpart Craig Bellamy personally made pitches to sign Suli. However, the Tigers pulled off a coup via an unprecedented deal that also provides the 18-year-old with an upgrade for the current season."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...king-13-million-nrl-deal-20170128-gu0lap.html

I'm personally glad the Dogs missed out on him. Signing unproven youngsters to big money contracts rarely pays off. I genuinely hope it works out for the Tigers but that is a massive gamble which could prevent signing Teddy, Brooks or Moses.

Das Gupta

Juniors
No wonder clubs have problems with their salary caps by signing or re -signing youngster that haven't play first grade yet to astronomical sums.

POPEYE

Coach
I prefer players that no-one wants pre NRL who turn into champions later, vice versa too big a risk

Tiger5150

Bench
This is certainly incorrect. I worked for the NSW Government before I retired a few years ago and I had to apply to undertake secondary employment (even unpaid) and they had every right to refuse if it could affect my main employment. It is absurd to suggest Rugby League clubs don't have the same right.

I think you have answered yourself here pretty much. So what you are saying is your employer has no right to stop you from getting a second job if it doesnt affect your first job. Same in the NRL pretty much. If it can been shown that the "second job" (TPA) has anything to do with your first job (NRL club/contract) then it is capped under the salary cap but if it has nothing to do with your club or existing contract, no one has a right to restrict it.

TheFrog

Coach
I think you have answered yourself here pretty much. So what you are saying is your employer has no right to stop you from getting a second job if it doesnt affect your first job. Same in the NRL pretty much. If it can been shown that the "second job" (TPA) has anything to do with your first job (NRL club/contract) then it is capped under the salary cap but if it has nothing to do with your club or existing contract, no one has a right to restrict it.
Secondary employment can affect primary employment in a multitude of ways. Simply put, a primary employer has the right of veto of secondary employment if they deem it appropriate.

In the case of the NRL, the governing body could put a stop to third party payments dressed up as secondary employment if it had the will to do so but apparently it doesn't.

Tiger5150

Bench
Secondary employment can affect primary employment in a multitude of ways. Simply put, a primary employer has the right of veto of secondary employment if they deem it appropriate.

In the case of the NRL, the governing body could put a stop to third party payments dressed up as secondary employment if it had the will to do so but apparently it doesn't.
Thats my point. If its an actual TPA (nothing to do with the club) it simply is secondary employment, its not dressed up as anything. Go back to the Craig Wing case that started it. He worked for Foxtel on a fashion show. Why is it inappropriate? Why cant he? Restraint of Trade?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Thats my point. If its an actual TPA (nothing to do with the club) it simply is secondary employment, its not dressed up as anything. Go back to the Craig Wing case that started it. He worked for Foxtel on a fashion show. Why is it inappropriate? Why cant he? Restraint of Trade?

Jesus mate.

If they are being so hard done by, they could tell the NRL to stick their paltry $10 million salary cap and go follow their dreams with their vast qualifications......brick laying or trolley pushing.

TheFrog

Coach
Quite a few RL players have been models, this is hardly surprising, the hardest part would be keeping the head in serviceable condition. I don't have a problem with this EXCEPT where it is connected to the player's renumeration with a club in such a way that the club is able to pay the player less than other clubs would have to pay the same player and thus gain an advantage.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
So did Daniel conn get reimbursed for his diminished modelling future after weyman rearanged his face?

POPEYE

Coach
But TPAs are BASIC HUMAN RIGHT!

Right up there between the right to freedom of thought and no slavery.
Let players have 'sleeves' to themselves, if they convince Nike or anyone else to pay them whatever they want for sleeve advertising so be it . . . Thurston might have to play in long sleeves and McCrone would only need a singlet

Latest posts