What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

JDHD

Juniors
Without straying too far from the thread topic , I understand what both Bring In The Noise and yourself Possum are saying . However , Possums suggestion does have merit , admittedly it is not the way that the corporate sector would prefer it , however there is no doubt that something does need to be done to ' even the playing field ' , so as there is no advantage to the richer clubs .

We are all aware that many clubs are better run , than others and that being the case they should not be penalised for their efficiency . However anything that will prevent clubs from not being honest and upfront about their business dealings , will only help the game itself in the long run . There must be some way of doing so , but most importantly
under the watchful eye of the NRL itself . There have been far too many clubs over the last 10-15 years that decided the best way of obtaining that premiership trophy was to cheat the system , far too many .

Yes, far too many...including us in 2010...

Gareth67

First Grade
Nuh. Nana was English. She tried to convert her grandkids to marmite but failed miserably. You've got me thinking though - why not give the players a big dollop of treacle and carnation at half time? Should get 'em fired up. Lafai can have two dollops.

Johnno , excellent idea , full of merit . Perhaps you could mention that to the teams nutritionist . However , if I may suggest swapping the treacle , for a large tablespoon of Castor Oil , that would certainly get the boys moving .

JDHD JDHD. JDHD

JDHD , that's splitting hairs my friend , as from memory the amount was between $10k - $20k and a mixup when a lower grade players salary was mistakenly paid at a lower rate than what it should had been .
The reason for that , was a particular player had played 'x' amount of top grade games , thus putting him in the higher bracket , an oversight , nothing more then a simple human error .
However when compared to the high - flyers in the competition , whose breeches were so shonky , that even the boys from the Tax Office cried , the Dragons oversight was merely a drop in the ocean .

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Funny how since we hear Dugan is shopped around, the only interest is French Rugby. Maybe Saints are playing their cards right here and will get him at a price he should be on and not pay overs.

Dugan should learn from Benji's mistakes and take whatever is being offered quick smart. Otherwise he could be at another NRL club on peanuts.

As for Widdop, please don't offer him anything. He will get a gig in the ESL and can run sideways and slip over his own feet there. Probably earn Man of Steel for it as well.

giboz71

First Grade
Funny how since we hear Dugan is shopped around, the only interest is French Rugby. Maybe Saints are playing their cards right here and will get him at a price he should be on and not pay overs.

Dugan should learn from Benji's mistakes and take whatever is being offered quick smart. Otherwise he could be at another NRL club on peanuts.

As for Widdop, please don't offer him anything. He will get a gig in the ESL and can run sideways and slip over his own feet there. Probably earn Man of Steel for it as well.

Don't think any of us know what Dugan's asking price is for us and other clubs. It's all conjecture.

But I posted earlier all the clubs and their incumbent fullbacks and the only team that would pay huge spine money to have Duges at their FB is likely the Dogs. But given their attacking woes, I think they would hesitate to pay huge money to have another non-creative FB (like Hopoate and Bmoz).

All other teams have FB covered or would not pay huge money for Duges to play FB (given he plays centre for NSW and Aust).

700k to play centre is fair. If that's our offer, he should take it.

Smirrors

Juniors

Using Benji is the worse example ever. Benji was at the back end of his career and wasn't playing very well. Dugan is in his prime and has 2 years of solid football before a decline. I am sure Trent Merrin is thankful he didn't take your advice.

Dugan deserves a good contract for the next three years. By then a junior will have stepped up and take his mantle. If our juniors are good as we think they are, they can bide their time learning the trade on the wing or centres. By the time Dugan is in his 3rd year of his contract, we make the switch.

I wonder if Tedesco did this whether he would not have broken down so often.

possm

Coach
It's true, Dugan deserves to get what the market thinks he is worth. What a Club will pay will greatly depend on the state of their salary cap and the availability of other players. For example Dufty may be ready by 2018. His speed, agility and passing game is far superior to that of Dugan however, he needs to work on defence and durability.

In my opinion, I would let Dugan go mainly because we have Dufty and others coming through who can play fullback and we have Milne and others who can play right centre. All of the above would cost less than half of Dugan's asking price.

giboz71

First Grade
It's true, Dugan deserves to get what the market thinks he is worth. What a Club will pay will greatly depend on the state of their salary cap and the availability of other players. For example Dufty may be ready by 2018. His speed, agility and passing game is far superior to that of Dugan however, he needs to work on defence and durability.

In my opinion, I would let Dugan go mainly because we have Dufty and others coming through who can play fullback and we have Milne and others who can play right centre. All of the above would cost less than half of Dugan's asking price.

Having Dufty is an option, but if the asking price for Duges is 800k and above (the number is reported anywhere from 650k to 1.2m depending on who you talk to), then surely other elite fullbacks come into calculations?

Tedesco will likely accept an offer of around $900k for the Tigers, RTS is on around $850k for the Warriors. Why don't we try to lure Munster away from the Storm?

Plenty we could do with the cash that Duges wants, if we had the smarts to actually get a premiership calibre fullback.

SGMax

Juniors
Having Dufty is an option, but if the asking price for Duges is 800k and above (the number is reported anywhere from 650k to 1.2m depending on who you talk to), then surely other elite fullbacks come into calculations?

Tedesco will likely accept an offer of around $900k for the Tigers, RTS is on around $850k for the Warriors. Why don't we try to lure Munster away from the Storm?

Plenty we could do with the cash that Duges wants, if we had the smarts to actually get a premiership calibre fullback.

I think Dufty should be FB but first he should be backup for a few years to an established fullback.
Dragons should not be gambling their premiership chances on someone so inexperienced nor should they be gambling with Dufty's career by rushing him in.
After so many years of bad judgement, we need to go for proven performers and let the juniors take over in the next few years.

How do other teams manage to have FB wannabes like Alex Johnson and Val Holmes and even Moylan, patiently playing on the wing for years while gradually getting exposed to the fullback role??

If we are going to spend 1mil+ on a fullback it should be targeted at Tedesco.
Dragons would immediately start looking like contenders especially if they also retain Duges for the centres.

watatank

Coach

I can see what you are saying but it's not realistic.

If it costs the Tigers 900K to sign Tedesco and the Warriors 850K it would take us at least 1-1.1M to sign them. The play to make was Kalyn Ponga but that ship has sailed. It means we will be looking internally. I think given the options we have coming through that would be the way to go.

SGMax

Juniors
Under TPA's Clubs are not supposed to be involved.
It is very short sighted to identify a local sponsor wanting to sponsor a local player. Players often move from club to club these days.
A national brand sponsoring an elite player is where TPAs should be heading and the NRL are the most appropriate entity to manage this.

If the NRL were managing TPAs, it is most likely some of our elite players would not have been lost to rugby union and other codes.

National brands have the marketing budget and the willingness to buy exposure to a well televised national / international game. The ability to use players in their marketing programs would be great value for money if the NRL marketed the TPA program properly.

Apologies for returning to this topic, but TPA's are ruining the whole structure of the competition.
Its best to nullify them by making them irrelevant.
One central body/committee to be given guidelines for player valuations and assessments.
These valuations are used when players sign contracts regardless of the actual payment from the club and regardless of the TPA's offered.
This allows the players unlimited earning potential and only limiting the talent that clubs can chase after.

I am positive that you won't see anymore players like James Roberts "sign for less" to be with a quality team/coach or because of homesickness.
The wealthier clubs will get first choice because they can pay overs but that will end when they use up their cap allowance.
Clubs won't be able to buy wingers on fullback money or stockpile talent for less than the realistic space in the cap.
The days of teams full of Origin and Australian (or NZ) Test players will be numbered.

possm

Coach
Apologies for returning to this topic, but TPA's are ruining the whole structure of the competition.
Its best to nullify them by making them irrelevant.
One central body/committee to be given guidelines for player valuations and assessments.
These valuations are used when players sign contracts regardless of the actual payment from the club and regardless of the TPA's offered.
This allows the players unlimited earning potential and only limiting the talent that clubs can chase after.

I am positive that you won't see anymore players like James Roberts "sign for less" to be with a quality team/coach or because of homesickness.
The wealthier clubs will get first choice because they can pay overs but that will end when they use up their cap allowance.
Clubs won't be able to buy wingers on fullback money or stockpile talent for less than the realistic space in the cap.
The days of teams full of Origin and Australian (or NZ) Test players will be numbered.
I prefer a system where the salary cap applies and any additional payment to players has to be via TPAs. TPAs to be arranged and managed by the NRL. Heavy fines and loss of competition points for any Club caught making unauthorised payments to players.

The above policy would bring integrity back when it comes to player payments and return the salary cap to the levelling system it was designed to be.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

How can we "lure" anyone when your bait is McGregor!

possm

Coach
I really don't know who our coach will be next year but I really hope it is not any of our current coaching staff. Cleary is probably the next most likely however, if Bennett wants a fresh new start with his new girlfriend, maybe he will consider coming to the Dragons.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Cleary is exactly what we need. Take him on and watch his refreshing approach take the dragons to new levels and even consistency.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am hoping that Cleary agreed to coach us from 2018. I am hoping that he declined to take over for 2017, because he wasn't happy with the playing roster and he wanted this year to recruit some players that he wants. Although I am not getting my hopes up.

possm

Coach
If he felt that way, surely his son would have been first cab on the rank.

Anyone know why he was sacked from Penrith?

Red V for life

Juniors
If he felt that way, surely his son would have been first cab on the rank.

Anyone know why he was sacked from Penrith?
A Panthers fan would know but I thought the trouble all started when Barrett signed with Manly, it looked like he was poaching players, Gus put his foot down and wanted Barrett gone but Clearly went into bat for Barrett and well...the rest is history.

Long story short, politics...but the guise of Cleary needing a break was the line Gus trotted out (much to Cleary's bewilderment at the time).

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I was told Cleary was caught out talking to Souths regarding a possible move. Someone told Gus.
Gus got rid of him before he took any players with him.

but...but...' Ivan looked tired'....lol @ Gus.