What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Oh shut up Pou. Even in science, if you make a claim it must be backed by evidence that can reasonably be extrapolated to reach that conclusion, and it must be demonstrable and repeatable, otherwise it will simply be ignored. But this is not a scientific journal, it is a forum, and it's completely reasonable to ask for evidence to back a claim.

You must be really bored today huh?

Interesting thought. Parra eels
I'm not talking about casual observation, I'm talking about the kind of observation you'll find from people obsessed with something. And while I agree that it is sometimes weak, those are the occasions when theories are easily refuted. So what are you crying about?

Like el dicko with penises?

hindy111

Post Whore
Nothing. You're the one whinging about my request for evidence

Let's flip it, shall we. Technically I'm not the one refuting anything. After all, the Ma'u being worse on the right assertion came as a response to my comment that it doesn't particularly matter what side a bloke plays on. Therefore by your own logic, the claims that Manu is worse on the right are an attempt to refute my "theory" and thus should be backed with evidence...

You're not the only one who can twist an argument to suit their means :p

He woukd make a better lawyer then you. Id have pou defend me.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think it's likely he is better on the left. I think it's a fair statement to make, and there is evidence for it, if only the fact that is where he has played the majority of his NRL career.

If someone said they think he has played better on the right what proof could you possibly ask for? It would obviously just be somebody's opinion. The evidence is, IMO, against it, and so if you disagree you're better off offering the evidence against rather then demanding proof. Often there is no convenient proof for a valid rugby league opinion.

Sometimes I'll draw an opinion on the game based on repeated observation of something. I check the stats to see if there's evidence in support. Often there is nothing, and usually I'll know in advance that stats for what I'm looking for (e.g. wrestling in the ruck) don't exist online. And sometimes the stats refute what I think I've observed. This is usually a good time to reflect on the poor choices I've made.

He is better on left due to he likes to do a wrap around pass using his right hand to his centre and its not as natural for him to do with his left hand on other side.
Common sense, case dismissed Pou wins.

You happy now you cheeky merkin? I have fat thumbs and autocorrect, which has been compounded by my professional evaluation of five glasses of red.

Case in point, this originally said "fat tbumbs and autocorrelation"
Haha, yeah. Autocorrect is a blessing and a curse. I've also been sampling. A beer or two, couple of bourbons, a vodka and half a dozen reds. Unfortunately it's still an amateur endeavour.

Gronk

Staff member
BYE GEORGE (POSSIBLY)
England ace George Williams admits Australian sides are interested in him – but that does not mean he is leaving Wigan Warriors

Parramatta Eels are believed to be keen on the stand-off ace

BY GARY CARTER
31st March 2017, 10:09 am

GEORGE Williams has revealed an NRL side has tried to take him to Australia – but that does not mean he is leaving Wigan.

Parramatta Eels are believed to be keen on the England stand-off, who has established himself as the best half-back in Super League.

George Williams revealed interest has come from the NRL
Williams is currently in talks with the Warriors over an extension to his current deal, which expires at the end of next season.

A Wigan source insisted that a deal was ‘pretty close.’

But the man himself admits an Aussie side has already made a move as speculation over his future swamps him, even on his days off.

Williams, 22, said: “NRL clubs have been in contact with my agent but I’ve not spoken to anyone.

George Williams (centre) picks up tips from Sam Burgess and Scott Taylor during England training
“It’s not got that far, there’s interest but most lads in the team have had interest, it doesn’t mean there are any offers there.

“I’m in talks with Wigan but nothing’s finalised and not much has been done. I’ve met Kris Radlinski and Ian Lenagan a couple times with my agent.

“It’s a work in progress. Nothing’s finalised, we’re just in talks.

“I’m enjoying it here, it’s where I’m from and in a great team, so if the deal’s right I’ll stay but obviously I’ve got to look at what’s best for me.

George Williams has established himself as a star for Wigan and England
“I’ve read quite a bit about where I’m meant to be going and people tag me in tweets and some people get carried away.

“People tell me things about myself I don’t know, it’s weird! They’ll say, ‘I know you’re going there’, and I’ll say, ‘Honestly, I’m not’, and they’re like, ‘I know.’”

While talk about Williams’ future is sure to rise, one thing will never change – he will never tie his bootlaces.

In fact, he never ties any laces and he is not prepared to start tonight when Wigan face Leeds.

George Williams insists that just because he has received interest from the NRL, it does not mean he is leaving Wigan
He added: “It’s just something I’ve always done. Everyone who comes can’t believe it though.

“I’ve done it since I can remember, even when I played rugby as a kid. It’s a weird trait.

“I can tie my laces but I prefer not to. I just tuck them in down the side of my boots.

“And yeah, a boot has fallen off before after I made a break. It was in the under-16s – but I scored so the coach couldn’t say anything!”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3221...t-does-not-mean-he-is-leaving-wigan-warriors/

=======================

lingard

Coach
When we start to demand evidence we are invoking the scientific method, just as in a court of law. However unlike a court of law, whether or not Manu Ma'u plays better on the left or right isn't skewed by any 'presumption of innocence' - there is no presumption favouring any of the options (i.e. that he plays better on the left or the right or that it is irrelevant).

And making the claim they have backed it up. If you think their evidence (even if mere observation) is flimsy then you need to provide counter evidence to refute it. Not just demand someone provide more evidence until you're satisfied.

If someone makes a spurious claim against me (eg: that I am a robot sent from the planet Starion to set up a base camp on earth from which the revolution will begin) I think they need to show a fair bit of supportive evidence to back up their view. It wouldn't be up to me to 'prove' that this wasn't true.

Eelementary

Post Whore
BYE GEORGE (POSSIBLY)
England ace George Williams admits Australian sides are interested in him – but that does not mean he is leaving Wigan Warriors

Parramatta Eels are believed to be keen on the stand-off ace

BY GARY CARTER
31st March 2017, 10:09 am

GEORGE Williams has revealed an NRL side has tried to take him to Australia – but that does not mean he is leaving Wigan.

Parramatta Eels are believed to be keen on the England stand-off, who has established himself as the best half-back in Super League.

George Williams revealed interest has come from the NRL
Williams is currently in talks with the Warriors over an extension to his current deal, which expires at the end of next season.

A Wigan source insisted that a deal was ‘pretty close.’

But the man himself admits an Aussie side has already made a move as speculation over his future swamps him, even on his days off.

Williams, 22, said: “NRL clubs have been in contact with my agent but I’ve not spoken to anyone.

George Williams (centre) picks up tips from Sam Burgess and Scott Taylor during England training
“It’s not got that far, there’s interest but most lads in the team have had interest, it doesn’t mean there are any offers there.

“I’m in talks with Wigan but nothing’s finalised and not much has been done. I’ve met Kris Radlinski and Ian Lenagan a couple times with my agent.

“It’s a work in progress. Nothing’s finalised, we’re just in talks.

“I’m enjoying it here, it’s where I’m from and in a great team, so if the deal’s right I’ll stay but obviously I’ve got to look at what’s best for me.

George Williams has established himself as a star for Wigan and England
“I’ve read quite a bit about where I’m meant to be going and people tag me in tweets and some people get carried away.

“People tell me things about myself I don’t know, it’s weird! They’ll say, ‘I know you’re going there’, and I’ll say, ‘Honestly, I’m not’, and they’re like, ‘I know.’”

While talk about Williams’ future is sure to rise, one thing will never change – he will never tie his bootlaces.

In fact, he never ties any laces and he is not prepared to start tonight when Wigan face Leeds.

George Williams insists that just because he has received interest from the NRL, it does not mean he is leaving Wigan
He added: “It’s just something I’ve always done. Everyone who comes can’t believe it though.

“I’ve done it since I can remember, even when I played rugby as a kid. It’s a weird trait.

“I can tie my laces but I prefer not to. I just tuck them in down the side of my boots.

“And yeah, a boot has fallen off before after I made a break. It was in the under-16s – but I scored so the coach couldn’t say anything!”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3221...t-does-not-mean-he-is-leaving-wigan-warriors/

=======================

I'm still scarred from the Chris Thorman experiment...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If someone makes a spurious claim against me (eg: that I am a robot sent from the planet Starion to set up a base camp on earth from which the revolution will begin) I think they need to show a fair bit of supportive evidence to back up their view. It wouldn't be up to me to 'prove' that this wasn't true.
They wouldn't say it without evidence though, even if just 'I saw lingard do blah...' no different to 'When I see <player x> play he seems to...'

Eelementary

Post Whore
In fairness to Thorman he was never really given a chance to adjust over a season or so. He was a pretty handy player otherwise

Williams is a top player, he'd be worth a gamble.

That's true.

And the team he had around him was pretty terrible.

Stevie

Bench
Who is that Barnett fromNewcastle? The #13?

Don't know much about him but geez he looks great. Incredible defense and great offload.