What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Let me throw another thing to consider in here. We all have speculated that the Tigers are holding off on releasing Moses now based on something we want from Parra. What if its something we want from someone else?

it could well be....at the end of the day what the tigers get in return is cap space. bottom line.

they could be shuffling decks to accomodate a new signing, or simply haggling with woods and tedesco on frontloading.

simply put they haven't dismissed letting moses go this season

Tiger5150

Bench
I'm sure all clubs have paid overs for a player or 2, even Farah was on a reported 900k a year a few years back.

Farah is on $900k this year. This is because he let the club withhold payments in the first couple of years of his contract to solve salary cap issues and these payments are due now. When you read that the Tigers are paying $750,000 for him to play for Souffs, $600K of that is for previous years.

Tiger5150

Bench
it could well be....at the end of the day what the tigers get in return is cap space. bottom line.

they could be shuffling decks to accomodate a new signing, or simply haggling with woods and tedesco on frontloading.

simply put they haven't dismissed letting moses go this season

There could be more......Woods, Tedesco and Moses have the same manager.

Incorrect

Coach
Good point and quite valid - just wondering why the NRL/Titans Press Conference at the time made mention of that Hayne waived the cooling off period.
NRL and Annesly probably just wanted it to make it sound all warm and fuzzy, like he was sooooooo excited to play for the Titans that he wanted all obstacles removed.... everyone bought it hook, line and sinker....

oldmancraigy

Coach
Because that isnt what Parra offered or what Moses accepted. Its a market. He is currently on $600K, the Tigers offer was $875K the Parra deal is $850K. This is fact. Take it for what ever you want and I understand that if I was a Parra fan I would much rather it was $700K but ask yourself this question. If you were Mitchell Moses and you were currently on $600K in a MASSIVELY overblown players market, with a $875K off with your current club on the table why the hell would you leap at a deal that is only marginally higher value than you are currently on at a club that whilst there are lots of positives (good coach, reasonable roster) has arguably as many negatives as your current club (recent history of poor managment, factional fighting in management, poor current form). Its not as if its Brisbane or Melbourne offering him a slight upgrade on his current contract.

Even if it was true (its not) that big bad Tigers snatched the offer away, why would you pounce immediately on a deal worth $700K with Parra?

The Parra deal is $850 and they had come to terms prior to Tigers withdrawing offer. TBH I think its a great deal for Moses and obviously Brad Arthur sees the value.

Right, I see.

So the newspapers are CORRECT when reporting Brooks on $550k per year, but incorrect when reporting Moses signed for $700k

I assume that's because the first makes it look a good deal for the Tigers, and the second makes it look like someone doesn't like the Tigers organisation?
And so when Moses was reported as saying it wasn't about the money, he wanted to go and play on a winning team (ok, I admit he may have chosen poorly), he was wrong - or right, because the money was the same.

I'm really glad you're an impartial judge on this who 'knows somebody', I think it would all sound a bit far fetched if you were a Tigers fan.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ignoring the NRL's registration of the contract or any contract subtleties, we can pay him whatever the f**k we wanted for this year. No need to halve any amount he's contracted for from the Tigers, we can agree to a completely new contract
But the point is Moses wouldn't come here for a pay cut, and the Tigers wouldn't let him go unless we were paying full freight. So we would be offering at least what he was going to get at the Tigers for the rest of the year and probably more.

Bazal

Post Whore
Right, I see.

So the newspapers are CORRECT when reporting Brooks on $550k per year, but incorrect when reporting Moses signed for $700k

I assume that's because the first makes it look a good deal for the Tigers, and the second makes it look like someone doesn't like the Tigers organisation?
And so when Moses was reported as saying it wasn't about the money, he wanted to go and play on a winning team (ok, I admit he may have chosen poorly), he was wrong - or right, because the money was the same.

I'm really glad you're an impartial judge on this who 'knows somebody', I think it would all sound a bit far fetched if you were a Tigers fan.

His definition of fact is rather loose.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Media outlets have said 700k and it's been widely reported he's taking a pay cut in comparison to what the tigers were willing to pay. There's no way he's on same money as Norman. I think there's a huge incentive for him to come this year $$$ wise considering the cap space we still have. But that's only an assumption.
I think he's worth as much as Norman.

strider

Post Whore
Clicky

I don't dispute that the Eels had clearly been talking to Moses prior to the Tigers pulling their offer but where we are getting $875,000 from all of a sudden?
Its the next number in the sequence of salaries justifying he is not worth the coin: 700k, 800k, 850k, 875k

Forty20

First Grade
Right, I see.

Doubly so when Adrian Proszenko, who broke the story and $700k figure, has a history of nailing his mail when it comes to the Parramatta Eels.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are probably right. At the start of the year I was very keen to keep all 4 of the Snore 4. Brooks would have been at the bottom of my priorities. As you say with the cap going up, I thought the money offered for all 4 was way high but maybe arguably ok because of the cap etc.

Brooks & Moses are both currently on $600K a year. Thats what I think they are worth right now as value on actual performances. Brooks has signed for next 3 years at $ 550K. That is what he is worth. The prospect of losing Moses, Woods & Teddy makes you look at other players available and in doing so, you have to look at their value as well. The cold fact is that these guys (other than Teddy) are simply not worth those dollars. Woods is a more startling example. The offer that the Tigers have tabled for a long time now is just south of $900K a year. Taumololo is on $1M. JWH, Merrin, Tamou, Matulino, Hess, and probably 10 other props I'd rather have ahead of Woods and would be on MUCH less. You or someone else made the other obvious example that Moses & Norman are both going to be on the same money. Ridiculous, Norman is a much better player. Moses is not worth that money but their values have been inflated by the openended cap and the Tigers situation.

The inflated values of the Snore 4 are so inflated because the Tigers have invested EVERYTHING in these guys since they were kids as the future to rebuild the club. Hard decisions were made to accomodate this. Good players have been let go to make it work, Austin, Te Mare Martin, Farah, Ryan Papenhuysen and others. Tigers have a LOT invested in them and IMO the prices that the Tigers are offering them are premiums based on this investment. Other clubs dont have this investment and therefore the value is less.

All of the above is why I now think its way overs......and the fact that Mitch has shown himself to be an A grade merkin and I find it hard to back him. Much rather a kid with Brooks attitude. Comparable talent but the gulf in ego is enormous.
If the Tigers are offering too much to retain their own players just because of how much they have 'invested' in these players then they are making poor decisions. There is no justification for throwing good money after bad. The Roosters and Storm don't do it. They make the hard decisions and let players go when rivals offer overs. Everyone is replaceable.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Let me throw another thing to consider in here. We all have speculated that the Tigers are holding off on releasing Moses now based on something we want from Parra. What if its something we want from someone else?
Surely you're holding off because you're waiting for one or two key retentions?