What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The «Set Move» thread

Danish

Referee
that Souths set move was heart-breakingly good to watch. They sucked the inside defender in like they had a tractor beam on him to make that gap and the soft tossed up pass back on the inside to Walker (who was hiding himself perfectly behind the ball runner) was spot on.

Worst part was from the stands you could see Walker stalking behind the play and knew the pass was coming, which made watching our defenders get fooled by it (understandable since the play was hidden so well) all the more painful.

Its a shame that the Johnston try was being talked up in the media after the game as a potential try of the year while that try got basically no love at all. Perfectly executed set plays which make a great defensive line look silly are much more impressive than a bit of ad lib footy in broken play

Bulldog Force

Referee
What about this Miguel?

[youtube]nEorIWAGos0[/youtube]

If you want my honest opinion, I'm surprised that the ref didn't blow his whistle. Now that, by no means, was a penalty, but given that the refs usually immediately blow the whistle whenever a player goes base over apex, I'm surprised nothing happened here. Glad it didn't either... that was absolutely magical!

God-King Dean

Immortal
What about this Miguel?

[youtube]nEorIWAGos0[/youtube]

If you want my honest opinion, I'm surprised that the ref didn't blow his whistle. Now that, by no means, was a penalty, but given that the refs usually immediately blow the whistle whenever a player goes base over apex, I'm surprised nothing happened here. Glad it didn't either... that was absolutely magical!

We should discuss this more in the FFB

rabbitohs95

Bench
that Souths set move was heart-breakingly good to watch. They sucked the inside defender in like they had a tractor beam on him to make that gap and the soft tossed up pass back on the inside to Walker (who was hiding himself perfectly behind the ball runner) was spot on.

Worst part was from the stands you could see Walker stalking behind the play and knew the pass was coming, which made watching our defenders get fooled by it (understandable since the play was hidden so well) all the more painful.

Its a shame that the Johnston try was being talked up in the media after the game as a potential try of the year while that try got basically no love at all. Perfectly executed set plays which make a great defensive line look silly are much more impressive than a bit of ad lib footy in broken play

Agreed although im very late.

Ive got a gif of that try saved it was one of the best set pieces ive seen. Crazy they dont do it more often.

cleary89

Coach
No no no. They planned for Friend to do a backflip. Clearly a set piece.

Watched that gif of the rabbitohs try about 6 times then. Lovely.

I run a play in the u11's side I coach that I stole from Manly last year. Half back goes to line, 5/8 is running an overs line and calling for it like mad. The defenders slide to him and have the full back coming from inside the half back to a little pop off his outside hip through the gap. B Stewart killed it a few times with it last year and I reckon we score every third time we pull it off. Having a gun fullback and a half back who goes to the line helps though.

T-Boon

Coach
Nice thread. That Hanscholo or Smithtown from page 1 still around?
Even just those great chip kick set plays from the 1980s are missed in the game.

cleary89

Coach
Yeh thats nice.

I use to run one where just like a backline movement, say 5/8 running with the ball to the line. Centre is running an overs line and draws his man out. 5/8 pops it up on his outside hip for the fullback who started his run on the inside. Use to create gaps big time in under 13s.

Stole it off Brett Stewart at Manly. We even called it Manly.

undertaker

Coach
Two set plays that immediately come to mind:

1) the run-around from the scrum, as was done by Canberra in the 1994 major semi-final against Canterbury:

and by Cronulla against Brisbane in the 1996 semi-final:

2) the kick from the scrum for the winger. Utilised several times by the Newcaste Knights during the late '90s/early '00s, when Darren Albert and Timana Tahu played and had lightning speed. Distinctly remember this one vs Parramatta in Rd 4 2001:

undertaker

Coach
Was going to post that. Classic for a sharks fan.

Don't see backlines set that deep any more.

Too much one of the ruck conservative stuff that has been happening in the game for the past decade.

A lot of those high-risk plays, such as the razzle-dazzle style the Knights had during the Andrew Johns years ,and the Ricky Stuart 30-40m bullet passes that found the centre/winger with pin-point accuracy, are no longer promoted by coaches. Most players are too reluctant to try that these days as a screw-up that could lead to a try most likely will see them dumped to reserve grade.