What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The «Set Move» thread

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
How about this:

30m out from the opposition's line, centre of the field. Position you team into a loose bunch behind the dummy half and the bloke playing the ball. Upon playing the ball, X players move rapidly left and Y players move rapidly right depending on how the opposition has positionned their defence (I don't know how they would position their defence), thus creating an immediate overlap, somewhat bunched but numerically superior. The opposition defence wouldn't know which way to go.

I was going to keep that one under wraps for when Souths make the grand final, but after 20 years I just couldn't keep it a secret anymore, and in the interest of sprucing up the game I thought perhaps I had better release it on LU.

hellteam

First Grade
W
How about this:

30m out from the opposition's line, centre of the field. Position you team into a loose bunch behind the dummy half and the bloke playing the ball. Upon playing the ball, X players move rapidly left and Y players move rapidly right depending on how the opposition has positionned their defence (I don't know how they would position their defence), thus creating an immediate overlap, somewhat bunched but numerically superior. The opposition defence wouldn't know which way to go.

I was going to keep that one under wraps for when Souths make the grand final, but after 20 years I just couldn't keep it a secret anymore, and in the interest of sprucing up the game I thought perhaps I had better release it on LU.

Wow, Tim Sheens watch out, you got some new competition for Australian coach..

Parra

Referee
How about this:

And then the dummy half puts in an up-and-under. It just might work.

The reason they don't happen now is pretty much down to the 10m rule. Why try to create space when it is artificially created for you? Modern coaches won't sacrifice metres already gained, hence there is no sweeping backline moves or set depth to backlines to try and make a break (therefore make metres). Play it safe and work for your kick and the team with the least mistakes will win the game by attrition.

With the 10m rule why bother?

Yeah that's what it comes down to. With the 10 metre rule, risk-free hit-ups work well enough coming out of your own end. Today's game is all about size and speed, much rather than creativity. Even from scrums in the opponent's half, we rarely see any creative set moves. If people consider a second-man-play a set move, then a dummy-half run is a set move.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yeah that's what it comes down to. With the 10 metre rule, risk-free hit-ups work well enough coming out of your own end.

This is true, but the set move is not there for coming out of your own end. It exists to bamboozle the defence closer to the line and I can't see why this would be less effective then the stock standand "five tackles, cross field kick" of today.

Talanexor

Juniors
At the heart of it, league is a very simple game. There are only so many things a ball player can actually do.

Run it
Pass it
Kick it
Dummy, then one of the above.

The second man play is a set move because it involves a lot of different players doing different things at the same time. It needs to be practiced over and over to get right.

Having said that, I have also seen some nice little set plays that aren't too complicated, but are very effective. Brisbane used to run the out-then-in pass on the right hand side all the time.

x y z
Lockyer Hunt Hodges

Lockyer throws a cutout ball to hodges, who immediately passes inside to hunt, who has changed direction to avoid the defender.

I don't know why they stopped doing this.

Surely someone has a list of moves used by the Raiders in 2008 - they were far and away the most entertaining team to watch that year.

At the end of the day, creativity and attacking brilliance won't win you a premiership. Otherwise the Cowboys, Tigers and Raiders would have a trophy cabinet full of them. Cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm just going to go ahead and assume you haven't been watching the storm play this year. The storm have come up with some of the best set plays i have ever seen this year.

Trawling on youtube and I have found a few more examples of the great, mostly long-lost set move:

Two in a row here from Canberra, one simple, one complex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Olsb3aI968w#t=276s

That play was pretty damn basic and only really worked because of bad defense, nowadays he would have just been met with a wall of players long before he made the advantage line.

I think sometimes people fail to take into account just how much better defense are nowadays.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Inglis scored a good try the other night where he did this thing where did this thing where he passed to to Sutton, Sutton stopped turned his back on the defence, then get this, inglis had somehow continued his run behind Sutton, received the ball back created an overlap and scored.

Groundbreaking stuff.

eozsmiles

Bench
Set plays happen all the time. Manly put on set moves from scrums all the time and Melbourne play entire sets like a planned move. Just not as fancy as the old days.

perverse

Referee
is this thread a piss take?

set moves happen in every game, every weekend. many of them are becoming pretty mechanical and predictable, but they are there all the same. the Storm are particularly good with them. I think a lot of it has to do with the speed of the game and quality of defenses these days (as well as playing percentage footy). what's the point in doing a triple wrap around with a flying apeshit mctwist at the end if the defense is going to chop you down by wrap-around #2 70% of the time?

so the real question for me isn't where are the set plays... it's why are they becoming so generic?

stuff like the videos looks sensational when executed to perfection, but as many people have said - we're lacking ballplayers in the current era and have too many generic athletes. i think we will ebb back toward attacking football eventually, but the rules are currently very conducive to negative, defensive football at the moment. reducing the interchanges further would be the first thing i'd change, get those hulking forwards tired again. we've got some absolute monsters carrying a crazy amount of weight, run them around more and give them less chance to rest. that alone will open the game up tremendously.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
The "origin play" QLD and Melbourne have used a number of times - out ball in ball (another out ball if needed) to a screaming hole runner.

Combine it with a wrap around and it looks pretty impressive.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
At the heart of it, league is a very simple game. There are only so many things a ball player can actually do.

Run it
Pass it
Kick it
Dummy, then one of the above.

The second man play is a set move because it involves a lot of different players doing different things at the same time. It needs to be practiced over and over to get right.

Having said that, I have also seen some nice little set plays that aren't too complicated, but are very effective. Brisbane used to run the out-then-in pass on the right hand side all the time.

x y z
Lockyer Hunt Hodges

Lockyer throws a cutout ball to hodges, who immediately passes inside to hunt, who has changed direction to avoid the defender.

I don't know why they stopped doing this.

Surely someone has a list of moves used by the Raiders in 2008 - they were far and away the most entertaining team to watch that year.

At the end of the day, creativity and attacking brilliance won't win you a premiership. Otherwise the Cowboys, Tigers and Raiders would have a trophy cabinet full of them. Cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.

it takes a quality ball player to get the ball to go backwards, they did it lots and by memory it always looked forward, i've seen a few in recent games

we used the play which we used when Wayne was in charge, prop runs up to the line, turns his back at the last stage, offloads backwards and normally being a prop - attracts 2-3 defenders which inevitably means there's space somewhere else on the line, then use the 2nd man play to exploit them out wide, they used it in one of the recent games, Hannant was the prop who executed the initial play

blaza88z

Coach
back when we had Karmichael Hunt in our side, I reckon we had the best 2nd man play in the game, he was probably the most naturally gifted ballplayer in the fullback position of his time, probably not the best fullback in the purest sense of the position but at the line his kicks were always there about and his cutout pass nearly always hit the money

I remember that game at Suncorp where Lockyer put Kemp over in the dying stage, a majority of our tries from that game were setup by Hunt's fullback play in the 2nd man play