What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Salary Cap

RazorRam0n

Juniors
so let me get this right, they must spend 400k below the cap this year, despite getting full grant.....and fined 500k (after suspended figure).....how is that a fine? nrl is just giving money back to itself.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I still cannot get over some of the glasshouse dwelling folks that support the Eels though most of them wouldn't say boo to a ghost on the issue of salary cap rorting these days.

If there was any consistency Manly would lose points. If there's another retrospective salary cap reporting scandal at another club in the next year to 18 months then the NRL will look even stupider than they already do. Not sure how after what happened at Melbourne we still have clubs rorting the cap.

Agree with all you said, buddy.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
How did you fellas end up when you rorted the cap with that pill-popping Gallen? You know the drug cheat who captains your side. Not to mention the rumours that he was at the Eels as a 19yr old and was cut because he had a rig like a truck driver. Then he reappears a year later at the Sharks all cut and fit. He must have worked hard for that magical transformation. He’s the only player in history to run for 200m and make 30+ tackles per game for over 5 years straight. That’s some great stamina for a former ‘fatty’.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH................11 years and won FAARRKKK all.......Andrew Gee and thoroughbreds and all. Talk about underachieving.

Card Shark

Immortal
I'm disappointed in the owners

They must’ve hatched some sort of deal with the NRL to not get points deducted.

It’s was systemic cheating over a long period...not that dissimilar to Eels, Dogs, Storm & Warriors.

Should’ve at least lost 4 to 6 points.

They must’ve hatched some sort of deal with the NRL to not get points deducted.

It’s was systemic cheating over a long period...not that dissimilar to Eels, Dogs, Storm & Warriors.

Should’ve at least lost 4 to 6 points.
That's Greenshit hates us since we have his emails that of exist should be leaked immediately

Diesel

Referee
Because they are not cheating now according to Todd.

You'd think systemic cheating over 5 years to the tune of $1.5mill would be enough to cost points but apparently not. Todd has lowered the bar considerably!

2002 Bulldogs cheating $1mill over 2 years - penalty loss of full seasons competition points and $500k fine (max available)
2010 Storm cheating $3.7mill over 5 years - penalty stripped of full following season points and period titles and $1.7mill fine
2016 Eels cheating $3mill over 5 years - penalty Stripped of points and $1mill fine
2017 Manly cheating $1.5mill over 5 years - penalty no point loss and $750k fine

Seems to me Todd is getting soft on cheating compared to previous CEO's.
You can add the Warriors in 2006. Previous management overspent $800000 over 2 years prior and got docked 6 points

super_coach

First Grade
There is a easy way to fix all this salary cap rotting, suspend the player for two years who receiving money outside the cap. Okay the player might plead he did not know...bad luck, it’s their buissness to know and ignorance is no defence..ask the ATO.

Of course still hit the clubs, but players would be very careful their contracts were kosher, if they risked two years out of the game

Bottom line nothing will happen till we have people with integrity running the game

macnaz

Staff member
The thing is this is not just about Manly , their rorting allowed them to buy players that THEN WEAKENED other clubs .Example - Marty Taupau leaving was a massive lost to the Tigers both as a drawcard as well as our best forward , so a quarter of a mill for every year of rorts and no points sounds about right. .NOT!

Exsilium

First Grade
My idea is this:

Remove financial cap control and auditing from the clubs and managers entirely. Outsource it or each club is given an allowance to use an approved financial auditor for all cap related matters.

For example. Player managers broker a deal between the club and with all TPA’s. Submit all contracts to an independent financial auditor who acts as a financial preparer for the NRL.

If the contract is in breach at the point of submission, fine the player manager/club, they lose a submission fee (can go into the game somehow - Grass roots comes to mind) or even add these breaches up at the end of the year and have cap penalties for the following year or something.

Rinse and repeat till complete

When the contract is acceptable it is submitted to the nrl with the approval of an approved party.

Anytime money is involved with clubs it ends up a rort. Remove the control and give the clubs ratings. The more they breach the less control they have.

The NRL is incompetent and they need all the help they can get.

macnaz

Staff member
Cheating is Cheating is Cheating ... any premeditated atempt to cheat is exactly the same regardless of the amount . A mistake is totally different.
We have just whitnessed the Aus cricket team cheat and are up in arms about it THEN we see Manly get a slap on the wrist for 5 years worth of it!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
fmd they got the weakest salary cap cheating punishment in NRL history

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/4350ff6ff9a4b6672efe9935eb592c6a

How Manly’s dodgy third party deals cost the Titans the signing of Daly Cherry-Evans

PHIL ROTHFIELD, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

NRL salary cap investigators found the Manly Sea Eagles cheated the salary cap in convincing skipper Daly Cherry Evans to backflip on the Gold Coast Titans in 2015 in a deal that was so suspect their then chief executive threatened to quit.

Cherry Evans agreed to an eight-year $10 million contract, at the time the most lucrative in NRL history, to play the remainder of his career at the Sea Eagles.

However the money registered in salary cap documents was less than what he was actually being paid with sources revealing he was getting another $400,000 outside of the cap.

There are no suggestions Cherry Evans was aware of the payment discrepancies.

However the Daily Telegraph can reveal that then chief executive Joe Kelly refused to sign off on Cherry Evans’ contract and offered to hand in his resignation, such were his concerns.

Instead chairman and owner Scott Penn signed off on the deal before it was registered by the NRL, but insists the Sea Eagles did not break salary cap rules.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Manly also secured the signature of centre Dylan Walker from the South Sydney Rabbitohs under a similar arrangement to Cherry Evans in that he was paid outside the salary cap figures.

Again, there’s no suggestion Walker knew of the payment discrepancies.

In 800,000 pages of documents captured from mobile phones and computer hard drives, the NRL found a total of 13 players had been paid outside the cap over five years.

Five of them were serious breaches — the rest for more minor infringements like free cars that were supposed to have been included in the salary cap.

The NRL finally completed its nine-month investigation by handing down a series of penalties yesterday in revealing the club had paid an extra $1.5 million to players outside of the cap.

The penalties included a $750,000 fine to be reduced to $500,000 if the club undertakes appropriate governance changes to ensure there is no repeat of the breaches.

• The club will play $330,000 under the salary cap for the next two seasons;

• Roosters CEO Joe Kelly, the former Manly boss, was suspended for 12 months;

• Sea Eagles chief operating officer Neil Bare was suspended for 12 months;

• Coach Trent Barrett got an official warning and league immortal Bob Fulton will no longer be considered for a role as an Australian selector; and

• Manly Owner Penn was also issued an official warning for his part.

“There’s some learnings Trent can take from this,” Greenberg said.

Fulton quit Manly in August last year, one month into the salary cap investigation. He insists his decision to leave was unrelated to the NRL investigation.

“It’s fair to say Bob was heavily engaged in negotiations for the period of time he worked at Manly,” Greenberg said, “Bob (Fulton) is not a registered official of the game, and so we have no ability to sanction any rules on people that sit outside the game.”

Pressed on Fulton’s future role as an Australian Kangaroos selector, Greenberg confirmed he would not be considered for a role.

Fulton reacted angrily when approached by The Daily Telegraph.

“Can somebody tell me what I’ve what I’ve done wrong,” he said, “I want a bit of transparency here.

“I handed my phone over. I still have a text message where I put myself up for face-to-face interview.

“Then I was away for three weeks and they wanted to do it over Skype.”

It’s believed Fulton wasn’t involved in finalising the deals.

In his statement, Greenberg said Manly has illegally secured players that might have gone to other club if it had not been for their cheating.

““The evidence is compelling, the evidence is clear,” he said, “The investigation found a number of cases where players were offered undisclosed benefits outside the salary cap to attract them to the club.

“These benefits were in the form of third party agreements which were never declared to the salary cap auditor.

“In other words, Manly had a financial advantage in securing the services of players who may otherwise have gone to other clubs.

“Our salary cap is the main reason we have the closest competition in Australian sport and we will not tolerate any attempt to breach it.

“Every club needs to be aware that any attempt to cheat the salary cap will eventually be detected and the club involved will be heavily sanctioned.”

The NRL found one player agent in the Manly scandal was previously involved in the Parramatta Eels case but remains unpunished.

The thing is this is not just about Manly , their rorting allowed them to buy players that THEN WEAKENED other clubs .Example - Marty Taupau leaving was a massive lost to the Tigers both as a drawcard as well as our best forward , so a quarter of a mill for every year of rorts and no points sounds about right. .NOT!
Except you released him you cock juggling thunder merkin

t-ba

Post Whore