What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Raiderdave

First Grade
Oh I see what you are saying. However whilst I’m here I will say this, whilst the “trillions” comment was sarcasm, it was a healthy turnout of away supporters and that Billy is the point. We are constantly told our supporters don’t travel or that other teams don’t.

I have been to games at Suncorp and Cbus and there are plenty of sharks supporters at those venues when we play there.

At least the television acknowledged it in Melbourne with the coverage.
So
They'll travel 1000kms to Melbourne
But
Won't travel 25 to homebush
Hahahaha
Yeah nothing odd about that

taipan

Referee
Ahhh so Sharks fans will travel to SFS after the redevelopment?

They'll have better incentive of doing so, than now.Yet a 6pm game they could throw in the Taj Mahal and dancing girls and it wouldn't help.
They turned up in numbers when they beat the Cows in a semi in 2016,and they turned up in huge numbers in the 16 G/FI attended both with family members.None of them were 6pm.
Still ,looking at poor crowds(inclkuding those who use ANZ) from other clubs at both SFS and ANZ,the Sharks are hardly unique.

big hit!

Bench
A fair proportion of Rabbitohs fans come from areas outside of the South Sydney district. With many coming from the western suburbs of Sydney. ANZ Stadium is the most centrally located for all of our fans that live in the Sydney metropolitan area.

It isn't in or near South Sydney at all and its a mockery of the name. May as well just be called Rabbitohs and do away with South Sydney.

This isn't the AFL. We don't want clubs like Collingwood that play at the MCG, have their base at Melbourne Park, and have nothing to do with their district anymore. Our club names mean something. They represent the district of their name and we still have the concept of teams playing in or near the district they represent. I hate the fact that I grew up and live in the current South Sydney district, yet have to venture away from home to watch my local team play. That's why I've gone back to my original club as a kid and attend matches at Henson Park when I should be going to the SFS to watch my team in the elite league - at a venue practically in the district (less than a 400m walk from the Anzac Rd border). Even though Newtown and Souths were rivals, my kid brother never saw Newtown. He loved the rabbits though and I become a rabbitoh taking him to games at the SFS in the late 80s/early 90s every second week.

In English Football, London clubs MUST play in the borough they represent. It's why clubs such as Chelsea are finding it difficult to increase their stadium capacity, and West Ham was the preferred club to Tottenham for the London Stadium refurb. Even though they are clubs on a world-scale, they still must have this local connection to their name.

carcharias

Immortal
It isn't in or near South Sydney at all and its a mockery of the name. May as well just be called Rabbitohs and do away with South Sydney.

This isn't the AFL. We don't want clubs like Collingwood that play at the MCG, have their base at Melbourne Park, and have nothing to do with their district anymore. Our club names mean something. They represent the district of their name and we still have the concept of teams playing in or near the district they represent. I hate the fact that I grew up and live in the current South Sydney district, yet have to venture away from home to watch my local team play. That's why I've gone back to my original club as a kid and attend matches at Henson Park when I should be going to the SFS to watch my team in the elite league - at a venue practically in the district (less than a 400m walk from the Anzac Rd border). Even though Newtown and Souths were rivals, my kid brother never saw Newtown. He loved the rabbits though and I become a rabbitoh taking him to games at the SFS in the late 80s/early 90s every second week.

In English Football, London clubs MUST play in the borough they represent. It's why clubs such as Chelsea are finding it difficult to increase their stadium capacity, and West Ham was the preferred club to Tottenham for the London Stadium refurb. Even though they are clubs on a world-scale, they still must have this local connection to their name.

Even the black rabbit logo is in reference to the Redfern area and the aboriginal players and people of South Sydney.
It is an awesome concept
That has zero to do with Homebush.

DC_fan

Coach

In the 21st century I believe the relevancy to most fans where their team is supposedly based matters very little. Especially for the inner city teams. I have been a Souths fan for a very long time, but have never lived in the Souths district. I didn't start to follow them because they were once based in Redfern either. To me their location mattered very little. When i started following Souths I had no idea where Redfern was or the relevance of the "Souths" in their name. I have always lived in the outer west of Sydney. If I followed my local team it most likely would be Penrith. Because many league fans don't live in the area their their team supposedly represents does not matter.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It's not the 1970's lol

carcharias

Immortal
In the 21st century I believe the relevancy to most fans where their team is supposedly based matters very little. Especially for the inner city teams. I have been a Souths fan for a very long time, but have never lived in the Souths district. I didn't start to follow them because they were once based in Redfern either. To me their location mattered very little. When i started following Souths I had no idea where Redfern was or the relevance of the "Souths" in their name. I have always lived in the outer west of Sydney. If I followed my local team it most likely would be Penrith. Because many league fans don't live in the area their their team supposedly represents does not matter.
Maybe to you it doesn’t matter
To me it does... and I reckon most footy fans would be the same.
I know my Dragons mates would much rather have them play all games from kogarah .
Sam goes for most I’d say.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know my Dragons mates would much rather have them play all games from kogarah .

If our ambition is 10-15k fans at games then that is fine. Maybe we should reset our ambitions to be like Aleague or basketball and just accept that 15k is the real avg our game is going to pull, in which case then yep suburban grounds and clubs with smallish population reachs are fine. However if we want to be a big boy sport and get our crowds to 20k plus then we need stadiums and catchments that will drive this and staying in the confines of suburbs with stadia of 15k comfortable capacity isnt going to achieve it.

In many ways Sydney suburban mentality has not been challenged as the one city clubs have failed as miserably to grow on the whole. Storm are growing nicely and likely to be our second club over 20k avg in years to come but the others are not performing any better than sydney suburb clubs. IF they change that and we had the likes of Auckland, Canberra, Brisbane 2, Perth and Adelaide over 20k regularly then the fear of sydney clubs getting left behind may be a driver for a different mindset.

big hit!

Bench

Don't have to live in the Souths district to support a club, but if a club is calling itself South Sydney, then it should be playing in the region it derives its name.

DC_fan

Coach

Is it time for a poll? It could be an interesting result.

DC_fan

Coach
Don't have to live in the Souths district to support a club, but if a club is calling itself South Sydney, then it should be playing in the region it derives its name.

Because back in 1908 that is where they started. But a lot off things have changed since then.

In some ways we have followed the NFL, where the two New York teams, the Jets and Giants, don't just not play in New York City, they don't play in the state of New York either. They play about 10k away, just across the border in the state of New Jersey. My NFL team the Dallas Cowboys, don't play in Dallas. They haven't since 1970. They presently play in Arlington Texas which is about 30k from Dallas.

Teams in America move around in chase of the best economic deal. That is what Souths and other teams in the NRL do.