What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next year

giboz71

First Grade
Maybe that's the secret, next year we ask the NRL for a draw where we only play teams in the top 8, go through the year unbeaten.

Our best victories of the year were against the Storm and Roosters when no one gave us a chance. We ambushed both of them.

As soon as we started being favourites, we played terrible.

We’ll be underdogs for the rest of the year now so I’m feeling pretty good.

Old Timer

Coach
Yep and we’ll be massive underdogs again.

Thing is, this team plays better when no one gives us a chance.

Rabbits lost a heart breaker against Melbourne. They all looked pretty gutted. Good time to get them.

So I wouldn’t be backing against us next week as I’m sure many in here will.
Good observation re Souths.
Hopefully they will spend a fair bit of time focussing on how they lost to the Storm and feeling the disappointment that will go with that loss.
The Burgess twins are quite capable of having great games but equally capable of having butter fingered games as well so if we have the intensity we showed today then they could get very frustrated very early.

My man Gasnier

Juniors
i know it's still to early but......

Lomax, he will play origin before he's 21
Blake Lawrie, seriously what's not to like about that kid, tough as teak, every play is at a million miles an hour.
Luciano, next year he will be a weapon.
Dufty will just get better and better with more confidence in attack and defence.

Ad in Host and there's an awful lot to look forward too.

Seems like some players are improving under Mary.

Dragon for life

Juniors
agreed - but out of all the teams that frighten me in the semis and thats Souths,...theyre a gun team that can score from anywhere with a big mobile pack and GI!! we beat them and i think its as good as a GF win...honestly is...
Yesterday was as good as a GF win for mine. Can’t wait to get to work and talk to all the inbred Broncos supporters up here. Lol

Carlton

Juniors

Blake Lawrie, seriously what's not to like about that kid, tough as teak, every play is at a million miles an hour.
Dufty will just get better and better with more confidence in attack and defence.

Lomax is a genuine first grader,
Lawrie I have been very critical of and did not think he would make it but if he can keep playing like that he will be a very good first grader
Luciano is starting to use his size and if he can keep working on fitness and doing the small things he will be a game breaker
Dufty had a good game but I am still not convinced he is the fullback we need. His defence and positioning in defence is not good enough.

What I liked the most was our playmakers picking up a secondrower running an inline with a short pass instead of going out the back all the time. Using the short ball opens it up later so when the ball is played out the back the defence does not slide as hard.

Smurf

Juniors

Dufty / Herbert ( if he stays )
Oates ( if or when he signs )
Aitken / Mann
Lomax / Lafai
Nene / Periera
Widdop / Mann / Field
Hunt

Happy with that

Dufty / Herbert ( if he stays )
Oates ( if or when he signs )
Aitken / Mann
Lomax / Lafai
Nene / Periera
Widdop / Mann / Field
Hunt

Happy with that
That’s a big backline, not sure your allowed that many players?

But seriously, we shall see in the off season, but I think Herbert leaves, if he hasn’t signed by now I don’t think he will.
Oates doesn’t come, he will proberbly stay at the Broncos, although I’m sure the Roosters will make an offer.
I like the idea of Mann and Lomax in the centres though.
I think Feild leaves now, if the rumours are true and he has signed elsewhere for 2020 I don’t see the reason to keep him around.

giboz71

First Grade
Lafai is the one that always stumps me.

I always right him off as being slow and useless then he produces a game like that on Sunday. That try he scored was one of the best centres tries I’ve seen in ages. Who would have thought he’d be the one to make jimmy the jet look foolish?

I advocated Mann to be our left centre next year but if Lafai can produce games like that, it will be tough to leave him out.

Problem is, the good games he produces are a dime a dozen, but he always seems to lift in big games. I’ll always remember that pass he slipped to Shaun Lane to sink us in the 2015 semi when he was playing for the Dogs. One of the best passes I have seen to set up a winning try.

Lafai is the one that always stumps me.

I always right him off as being slow and useless then he produces a game like that on Sunday. That try he scored was one of the best centres tries I’ve seen in ages. Who would have thought he’d be the one to make jimmy the jet look foolish?

I advocated Mann to be our left centre next year but if Lafai can produce games like that, it will be tough to leave him out.

Problem is, the good games he produces are a dime a dozen, but he always seems to lift in big games. I’ll always remember that pass he slipped to Shaun Lane to sink us in the 2015 semi when he was playing for the Dogs. One of the best passes I have seen to set up a winning try.
I think if Aitken gets his defensive reads and passing game in order he has more of an upside than Lafai.
And I realise that sounds kinda like “if he was a better player he’d be a better player” but you get what I mean.

SAP58

Juniors
Luciano, Lomax and Duffty are stars in the making. Blake Lawrie reminds me of a young Trent Merrin. Next year is looking bright.
I think Blake Lawrie has improved considerably since James Graham joined the club. Apart from his never say die attitude the big plus with Graham will be the influence he had on the younger players on the fringe of first grade.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Once our current season ends be that Saturday or in 2 weeks time, we will have a clearer picture of our next year.

At this stage I think our forwards are pretty well set for 2019.
Graham, Vaughan, K Sims, Latimore, Lawrie, T Sims, Friz, JDB, Lawrie, Leilua and Host (still no firm confirmation that Sele is leaving yet but I haven't included him in my list) all seem to be the options at present.
Hooker position is also set with McInness and Robson.
Same with the halves, with Widdop and Hunt as the front 2 with Mann, Field and Nichols as the back ups.

It's the backline that is causing the most interest.
At this stage, and assuming McGregor is still coach, which I believe he will be, our backline will look like this:
FB - Dufty
LW - Nene (maybe that's why we are enquiring about Oats or Tupou)
RW - Lomax
LC - Lafai
RC - Aitken
This is not my team but what I believe McGregor will roll out.

My team would be:
FB - Dufty
LW - Nene (Oats etc)
RW - Mann
LC - Lafai
RC - Lomax
5/8 - Widdop
HB - Hunt
P - Vaughan
P - Graham
RE - Friz
LE - T. Sims
L - JDB
H - McInnes

B1 - Lawrie
B2 - K. Sims
B3 - Leilua
B4 - Robson, Aitken, Host, Field

I think if Aitken gets his defensive reads and passing game in order he has more of an upside than Lafai.
And I realise that sounds kinda like “if he was a better player he’d be a better player” but you get what I mean.
Most on here have been waiting for Aitkin to improve his defence ever since he came into FG.
It hasn't happened and, in many ways, it has gotten worse because opposition coaches target him.
At what point do you say, "sorry pal" and look elsewhere.
I reckon he has been given many opportunities at the expense of others like Lomax and Herbert for example.

Saintsified

Bench

Roosters , Sharks and Broncos will buy all of them. We will tow the line we need to invest in our junior base.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Most on here have been waiting for Aitkin to improve his defence ever since he came into FG.
It hasn't happened and, in many ways, it has gotten worse because opposition coaches target him.
At what point do you say, "sorry pal" and look elsewhere.
I reckon he has been given many opportunities at the expense of others like Lomax and Herbert for example.
Hear hear

possm

Coach
Once our current season ends be that Saturday or in 2 weeks time, we will have a clearer picture of our next year.

At this stage I think our forwards are pretty well set for 2019.
Graham, Vaughan, K Sims, Latimore, Lawrie, T Sims, Friz, JDB, Lawrie, Leilua and Host (still no firm confirmation that Sele is leaving yet but I haven't included him in my list) all seem to be the options at present.
Hooker position is also set with McInness and Robson.
Same with the halves, with Widdop and Hunt as the front 2 with Mann, Field and Nichols as the back ups.

It's the backline that is causing the most interest.
At this stage, and assuming McGregor is still coach, which I believe he will be, our backline will look like this:
FB - Dufty
LW - Nene (maybe that's why we are enquiring about Oats or Tupou)
RW - Lomax
LC - Lafai
RC - Aitken
This is not my team but what I believe McGregor will roll out.

My team would be:
FB - Dufty
LW - Nene (Oats etc)
RW - Mann
LC - Lafai
RC - Lomax
5/8 - Widdop
HB - Hunt
P - Vaughan
P - Graham
RE - Friz
LE - T. Sims