What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next year

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Total garbage the criticism leveled at euan eitkin the guy nearly made state of origin scored some slashing tries including a step on Greg Inglis the kid lost some confidence in the back end of yr but he wasn't the only one his a far beter Center then Tim lafai and every ones love child kurt Mann I don't see what those two have done all year except look 'total pedestrian at times, eitkin and lomax should be the dragons long term centres

I’m unsure whether Aitken can adapt to being a left centre.

Your criticism with Lafai and Mann is unjustified.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I’m unsure whether Aitken can adapt to being a left centre.

Your criticism with Lafai and Mann is unjustified.
Aitken was going great early on , and was tipped as a possible origin hope.Fittler even brought the crew down to Dragons training to watch him and others. When he wasnt selected for Origin he appeared to 'spill his lollies' , then he had hamstring dramas.Maybe costly to him as lomax has taken his opportunity in the high pressure end of season matches.Mary loves him but may turn out to be Utility value from the bench

Como Connection

First Grade
Total garbage the criticism leveled at euan eitkin the guy nearly made state of origin scored some slashing tries including a step on Greg Inglis the kid lost some confidence in the back end of yr but he wasn't the only one his a far beter Center then Tim lafai and every ones love child kurt Mann I don't see what those two have done all year except look 'total pedestrian at times, eitkin and lomax should be the dragons long term centres
Let agree to disagree.
CC

Frank Facer

First Grade
I disagree. Aitken has trouble passing the ball to his winger. Aitken is a liability in defence. Aitken is a one trick pony. Have you ever seen him score a try from more than 20m out? I haven't. It was paper talk and Queenslanders talking Aitken up. Lucky Fitter had the smarts to recognise that Aitken has trouble passing and makes poor defensive reads. Basically Aitken handicaps our attack and handicaps our defence. Basically he isn't a center, he is a forward playing centre. He won't play origin either.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Sorry to say Aitken is not in our top three centres and in no way should be in front of Lafai or Lomax.His deficiencies in defence are well documented and is pedestrian at best.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Who was if that was "talkng" up Aitken for Origin?

I mean seriously, those who believed that also believe in the Easter bunny and the Loch Ness monster. Yeah he stoid up GI who had just come back from ankle injury. Other than that, and as many have already said his defense laterally is poor as are his defensive play reads. Couldn't pass wind if he tried and is very suspect under a high ball.

Right centre us now Lomax's and if Aitken wants it back he will have to earn it. Even then Lomax would gave to be playing pretty poorly to warrant the change.

Aitken has to now re-invent himself. For mine he is Paul Gallon mk11. Ball under arm hitting defense lines. They only difference is Aitken has some speed. The only position then would be back-up lock to JDB and with Sele departing it fits quite nicely imo.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Who was if that was "talkng" up Aitken for Origin?

I mean seriously, those who believed that also believe in the Easter bunny and the Loch Ness monster. Yeah he stoid up GI who had just come back from ankle injury. Other than that, and as many have already said his defense laterally is poor as are his defensive play reads. Couldn't pass wind if he tried and is very suspect under a high ball.

Right centre us now Lomax's and if Aitken wants it back he will have to earn it. Even then Lomax would gave to be playing pretty poorly to warrant the change.

Aitken has to now re-invent himself. For mine he is Paul Gallon mk11. Ball under arm hitting defense lines. They only difference is Aitken has some speed. The only position then would be back-up lock to JDB and with Sele departing it fits quite nicely imo.
No room for Aitken at lock. I would rather Frizell as our back up lock. I think lock is Frizell's best position. I would also prefer either Lucky or Host at lock, than Aitken.

I think we should let Aitken go, but if we are to keep him, I would have him on the bench as the utility. He is more suited to the forwards than Mann and can cover centre in case of an injury to a back. He could be our version of Mitch Aubusson. He could even be effective coming off the bench and giving McInnes a break mid game. If I coached Aitken, I would try to turn him into a hooker. He does like to run from dummy half. He has good front on defence. I know his passing game isn't up to scratch for hooker, but I think he could learn to pass from dummy half.

ALSGI

Bench
I disagree. Aitken has trouble passing the ball to his winger. Aitken is a liability in defence. Aitken is a one trick pony. Have you ever seen him score a try from more than 20m out? I haven't. It was paper talk and Queenslanders talking Aitken up. Lucky Fitter had the smarts to recognise that Aitken has trouble passing and makes poor defensive reads. Basically Aitken handicaps our attack and handicaps our defence. Basically he isn't a center, he is a forward playing centre. He won't play origin either.
Agree.
Although he did score a beaut try from about 60m out against Sharks last year, beating 4 defenders from a stand still (dropped ball).

possm

Coach
Aitken was going great early on , and was tipped as a possible origin hope.Fittler even brought the crew down to Dragons training to watch him and others. When he wasnt selected for Origin he appeared to 'spill his lollies' , then he had hamstring dramas.Maybe costly to him as lomax has taken his opportunity in the high pressure end of season matches.Mary loves him but may turn out to be Utility value from the bench

Aitken has always been a liability in defence.

j0nesy

Bench
Sometimes I wonder whether I’m watchi the same game as a few of you gents. Kurt Mann can do nothing wrong in a few people’s eyes, yet Aitken cops it no matter what he does. Aiken is 20x the centre that Mann is. But he is too small to play 2nd row. I do agree, however, that Lomax will go past him. There’s no reason Aitken can’t play wing. Someone suggested that he is too slow to turn and chase, I haven’t seen that. Aitken will make a good winger, similar style to Nighty. I reckon our backline next year will be:
Dufty
Aitken
Lomax
Lafai
MacDonald

Carlton

Juniors
No room for Aitken at lock. I would rather Frizell as our back up lock. I think lock is Frizell's best position. I would also prefer either Lucky or Host at lock, than Aitken.

I think we should let Aitken go, but if we are to keep him, I would have him on the bench as the utility. He is more suited to the forwards than Mann and can cover centre in case of an injury to a back. He could be our version of Mitch Aubusson. He could even be effective coming off the bench and giving McInnes a break mid game. If I coached Aitken, I would try to turn him into a hooker. He does like to run from dummy half. He has good front on defence. I know his passing game isn't up to scratch for hooker, but I think he could learn to pass from dummy half.

I agree with everything you have said except Aitken as a hooker. He has shown no ability to pass or organise.

Carlton

Juniors
Sometimes I wonder whether I’m watchi the same game as a few of you gents. Kurt Mann can do nothing wrong in a few people’s eyes, yet Aitken cops it no matter what he does. Aiken is 20x the centre that Mann is. But he is too small to play 2nd row. I do agree, however, that Lomax will go past him. There’s no reason Aitken can’t play wing. Someone suggested that he is too slow to turn and chase, I haven’t seen that. Aitken will make a good winger, similar style to Nighty. I reckon our backline next year will be:
Dufty
Aitken
Lomax
Lafai
MacDonald

I think his defensive issues will only be more obvious on the wing. He is not suited to playing out wide, he cant read whats unfolding in front of him when defending. I think his only hope is to reinvent himself into a Cameron Murray type of player. Do a lot of work, hit the ball up with the intent of getting a super fast play the ball.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Dufty
Aitken
Lomax
Lafai
MacDonald
I fully agree with you if eitkin
Misses a tackle these great biased dragons supporters wil tear strips of him but kurt Manns ok to miss tackles and the other love child nightingale ok to Let a mass amount of tries in his corner but hang on they wil tel u it' eitkin s fault that nightingale wing spot leaked about 50 tries this year , eitkin is near impossible to stop close to the line his low to the ground and contrary to what some great supporters think of his defence I've also seen him smash players in defence

possm

Coach
Misses a tackle these great biased dragons supporters wil tear strips of him but kurt Manns ok to miss tackles and the other love child nightingale ok to Let a mass amount of tries in his corner but hang on they wil tel u it' eitkin s fault that nightingale wing spot leaked about 50 tries this year , eitkin is near impossible to stop close to the line his low to the ground and contrary to what some great supporters think of his defence I've also seen him smash players in defence

We really don't need Aitken or Lafai. It was a mistake to extend them. If Herbert has not signed with someone else, sign him and select him at left centre. Lomax and Herbert were ISP's best centres this season. With the salary cap saved by doing this, we could more easily find a big fast winger to join Macdonald in first grade.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

What’s the bet that if MacDonald leaves, the coach will put Aitken in his place?

I reckon it’s pretty good odds. Remember, Aitken made his first class debut on the wing a few years ago now. He’s not utility value, so he’s either in the side or not at all.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Aitken ‘s weaknesses (as you say) include an inability to draw and pass, and a proclivity to rush out in defence.

However, claiming Aitken cannot score long range tries is a furphy.

possm

Coach
What’s the bet that if MacDonald leaves, the coach will put Aitken in his place?

I reckon it’s pretty good odds. Remember, Aitken made his first class debut on the wing a few years ago now. He’s not utility value, so he’s either in the side or not at all.

He is not a winger. He struggles to take a high ball and was found wanting when having to turn and chasing a ball kicked deep into our 20. Put this together with the same defence reads you still have even more problems to solve. The only real problem solved by putting Aitken on the wing is that his lack of delivering a good pass won't be such a problem anymore.

Unfortunately, Millward was too hasty in extending Aitken's and Lafai's contracts. Maybe a shorter term with an option would have been wiser.

BLM01

First Grade
Re Aitken as a winger. You forgot the one important ingredient to leap in the air and use your body to stop other jumpers. Aitken cant do that. He is hard to stop close to the line but he has a tendency to hog it when should of passed it. I do see him as a backrower with a bit more upper body bulk, you dont have to be tall, plenty of good nuggets have played back row.
However if they can improve his defence, and ball passing skills, then it will be a great challenge with Lomax for the right centre spot. I have Lomax ATM slightly in front.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Aitken ‘s weaknesses (as you say) include an inability to draw and pass, and a proclivity to rush out in defence.

However, claiming Aitken cannot score long range tries is a furphy.
I have no recollection of Aitken ever scoring a long range try and when you watch his highlights video on Youtube, there are no examples of him ever scoring any tries from more than 20m out, but if you can provide me with some examples, that would be great.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Re Aitken as a winger. You forgot the one important ingredient to leap in the air and use your body to stop other jumpers. Aitken cant do that. He is hard to stop close to the line but he has a tendency to hog it when should of passed it. I do see him as a backrower with a bit more upper body bulk, you dont have to be tall, plenty of good nuggets have played back row.
However if they can improve his defence, and ball passing skills, then it will be a great challenge with Lomax for the right centre spot. I have Lomax ATM slightly in front.
I have got Lomax miles ahead of Aitken right now.

Latest posts