What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next year

Frank Facer

First Grade
Lafai is the one that always stumps me.

I always right him off as being slow and useless then he produces a game like that on Sunday. That try he scored was one of the best centres tries I’ve seen in ages. Who would have thought he’d be the one to make jimmy the jet look foolish?

I advocated Mann to be our left centre next year but if Lafai can produce games like that, it will be tough to leave him out.

Problem is, the good games he produces are a dime a dozen, but he always seems to lift in big games. I’ll always remember that pass he slipped to Shaun Lane to sink us in the 2015 semi when he was playing for the Dogs. One of the best passes I have seen to set up a winning try.
I have been a critic of Lafai too, but I do agree if he played every week as good as he played on the weekend, he would be fine, even better than fine, but as you say, his good games are too few and far between.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think if Aitken gets his defensive reads and passing game in order he has more of an upside than Lafai.
And I realise that sounds kinda like “if he was a better player he’d be a better player” but you get what I mean.
Aitken isn't a centre and never will be, at least Lafai is a genuine centre. He is too small for the forwards, so he should be shown the door, while there would still be some demand for his signature.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Can I also just say, how f**king well is Luciano going! We all wrote him off after his first couple of games (me included). Well, the egg is well and truly on our faces. He's a weapon! And he's running with purpose now, no doubt Graham has given him a kick up the arse.

He looks likely to break the line every time he hits it up/. That run against the Broncos when he offloaded to McInnes and nearly put him through was awesome, he had 3 forwards hanging off him and it was just all leg-drive. Looks like he's finally woken up.
Add to that his silky ball-skills, and we've got ourselves a hell of an up and coming player.

possm

Coach
Aitken isn't a centre and never will be, at least Lafai is a genuine centre. He is too small for the forwards, so he should be shown the door, while there would still be some demand for his signature.

Millward has signed him long term and it appears that Aitken is Mary's favourite player. So unless Aitken gets an offer and wants to leave, we are going to be stuck with him.

I'd say that if Bennett arrives for the 2019 season, Aitken will find himself in ISP and before June 30 will want out.

Bench
I thought this year was going to be a good year with the signing of Hunt, but I thought our best chance would be in 2019.
Coaches say that in order for a club to be successful it needed to bring through a couple of juniors through each year.
We have done that with Lucky Luc and Blake Lawrie and Zac Lomax They will be in our squad for the foreseeable future with is a bonus. I don’t include Dufty there because he was a starter last season.
We probably need one more front row and perhaps a winger. We do have some good juniors coming through so it all looks rosy for us.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I thought this year was going to be a good year with the signing of Hunt, but I thought our best chance would be in 2019.
Coaches say that in order for a club to be successful it needed to bring through a couple of juniors through each year.
We have done that with Lucky Luc and Blake Lawrie and Zac Lomax They will be in our squad for the foreseeable future with is a bonus. I don’t include Dufty there because he was a starter last season.
We probably need one more front row and perhaps a winger. We do have some good juniors coming through so it all looks rosy for us.
I thought it was a great moment when we scored the last try against Brisbane. If I recall correctly, Dufty, Lomax and Lucky all celebrating together and all looking like they already have a strong bond. These 3 have so much promise, they all provide us with X factor. Graham was also the perfect buy to provide leadership to Dufty, Lomax, Lawrie, Dufty and co.

I too thought, that with the addition of Hunt and Graham, we would improve this year. I never really got my hopes up for a premiership this year, even when we were leading the comp. I always thought that next year was our best chance and that we should have been blooding Lomax this year, so that he would be more seasoned by next year. We just need a new coach and 3 or 4 good to great signings, then Easts and us are the 2 top chances to win next year's comp.

mobels

Juniors
1. Dufty
2. Oates or Pereira
3. Lafai
4. Lomax
5. Nene
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McIness
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizz
13. JDB

14. Mann/Robson
15. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Leilua

Is an exciting team imo, we've finally sorted our bench and with the continued development of Lawrie and Leilua we'll have a huge amount of punch off the bench.

FlameThrower

Bench
1. Dufty
2. Oates or Pereira
3. Lafai
4. Lomax
5. Nene
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McIness
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizz
13. JDB

14. Mann/Robson
15. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Leilua

Is an exciting team imo, we've finally sorted our bench and with the continued development of Lawrie and Leilua we'll have a huge amount of punch off the bench.
That’s a good side, although one thing we must cover is injury rep duties etc. So really need good depth players to be cycled through - not like this year when it was forced upon the coaching staff.

Cazbah Steeler

Juniors
I really don't think Dufty is the future at fullback, Lomax is the strike weapon needed outwide. Oates would be a great winger when Nene goes home to The Cowboys.
Dufty needs to be floating around the middle more looking for offloads

Cazbah Steeler

Juniors
1. Dufty
2. Oates or Pereira
3. Lafai
4. Lomax
5. Nene
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McIness
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizz
13. JDB

14. Mann/Robson
15. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Leilua

Great to see no Latimore, I think Mann would get the nod ahead of Robson. Good bench and just need everyone fit and rested for the 2019 finals. Fingers crossed Mary leans from his mistakes from not resting players after Origin

New Dragon

Juniors
Matheson Johns signs full time with the Panthers. Pleased for him as he is a good kid, good enough to go to the next level and deserves a shot. I wish him all the best.

possm

Coach
Matheson Johns signs full time with the Panthers. Pleased for him as he is a good kid, good enough to go to the next level and deserves a shot. I wish him all the best.

I wonder if Penrith would have signed him if they had to pay a fee to the Dragons. We spend the time and money bringing these players through and Penrith who already have a large junior catchment area, sign him with no compensation to the Dragons.

Belta

Juniors
I
I wonder if Penrith would have signed him if they had to pay a fee to the Dragons. We spend the time and money bringing these players through and Penrith who already have a large junior catchment area, sign him with no compensation to the Dragons.

I see the point but I still strongly disagree. I think it’s fair to assume that it’s a very competitive environment. I think giving young people the most opportunity to succeed overrides clubs blocking thier pathways via self interest/appointed fees. Point in hand if Ravalawa comes to us he stops playing club football for Gungahlin Bulls and has a shot at FG, an opportunity to fulfill his dreams. This should be paramount to all clubs agenda’s, unfortunately I doubt whether it is.

possm

Coach
I

I see the point but I still strongly disagree. I think it’s fair to assume that it’s a very competitive environment. I think giving young people the most opportunity to succeed overrides clubs blocking thier pathways via self interest/appointed fees. Point in hand if Ravalawa comes to us he stops playing club football for Gungahlin Bulls and has a shot at FG, an opportunity to fulfill his dreams. This should be paramount to all clubs agenda’s, unfortunately I doubt whether it is.

Yes however, if the gaining club had to pay say 100k to the losing club then:
  1. The gaining club might be encouraged to develop and grade their own juniors rather than raid another club's juniors.
  2. The losing club will be financially compensated for some of their work with juniors and therefore have more money to develop other juniors coming through.
So instead of some clubs just raiding other club's juniors, maybe they will consider developing juniors themselves.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
As indicated elsewhere, areas that need to be addressed are:

1. fullback
2. left wing
3. hooker
4. the absence of a genuine utility player
5. the addition of at least one representative prop

Of course, all the improvements to the playing roster won’t mean a lickin’ thing without a change of coach.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Total garbage the criticism leveled at euan eitkin the guy nearly made state of origin scored some slashing tries including a step on Greg Inglis the kid lost some confidence in the back end of yr but he wasn't the only one his a far beter Center then Tim lafai and every ones love child kurt Mann I don't see what those two have done all year except look 'total pedestrian at times, eitkin and lomax should be the dragons long term centres

Latest posts