What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Semi's performances made most of our players look good, but in reality they were fairly average and it was exposed upon his departure.
This is just a narrative built on correlation. There is no proof of causality. No winger is worth 12 wins and 200+ points differential.
Before him, The Plane covered some deficiencies when he was on the field.

It's telling that no other club really seems to want a bar of some of our so-called decent players.
Because they have been exposed as attitude risks. Plus it's unlikely they want to pay as much as we want them to pay.

T.S Quint

Coach
what do we expect, we have him in the middle tackling monsters. Why would you have your most important passer tackling monsters? And in a position where we have zero depth as well.

You want him efending our wide where he will have to make more one-on-one tackles? You’re saying he’s too small, yet you want him tackling second rowers, centres and wingers by himself?

T-Boon

Coach
No offence but u have no idea, centre and wing are the hardest positions to defend in rl

You have to have good judgement defending on the wing but wingers seem to be fairly bad at it because they are usually big dopey athletes with no vision or anticipation. Thats one of the reason I think the halves are better suited to defend there.

T-Boon

Coach
You want him efending our wide where he will have to make more one-on-one tackles? You’re saying he’s too small, yet you want him tackling second rowers, centres and wingers by himself?

Yes, these little guys are fine at making a one on one bootlace tackle every now and then (Sandow for example was great usually) the problem they have is those types of tackles are an error in the middle of the field and give up fast play the balls. The little guys also get dominated in wrestle. They also don't get enough of a breather in the middle.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You have to have good judgement defending on the wing but wingers seem to be fairly bad at it because they are usually big dopey athletes with no vision or anticipation. Thats one of the reason I think the halves are better suited to defend there.

Really? A lot of the time wingers have a 2 on 1 situation to defend, it’s almost impossible to defend against, so of course they will look like poor defenders, but a lot of the time it’s not their fault but inside defender not making the right call.

This Gennings looked like a poor defender at times, but gee mennings made some poor decisions and tackles.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The words "Sandow", "great", and "defence" should never be uttered together, unless the words "when he could be arsed to try to tackle" are punctuating that phrase.

Sandow was utter garbage defensively, because his attitude sucked.

Chipmunk

Coach
This is just a narrative built on correlation. There is no proof of causality. No winger is worth 12 wins and 200+ points differential.

Because they have been exposed as attitude risks. Plus it's unlikely they want to pay as much as we want them to pay.

There's no proof to most of the stuff you post either.

Carry on...

T.S Quint

Coach
Yes, these little guys are fine at making a one on one bootlace tackle every now and then (Sandow for example was great usually) the problem they have is those types of tackles are an error in the middle of the field and give up fast play the balls. The little guys also get dominated in wrestle. They also don't get enough of a breather in the middle.

No he wasn’t. He was ducking rubbish at any part of the game where he didn’t have the ball in his hands (and quite often rubbish then as well).

I’m sorry but I can’t agree with anything you are saying. I’m not saying that they are bad ideas...I’m more saying that they are f**king geniused.

T-Boon

Coach
Really? A lot of the time wingers have a 2 on 1 situation to defend, it’s almost impossible to defend against, so of course they will look like poor defenders, but a lot of the time it’s not their fault but inside defender not making the right call.

This Gennings looked like a poor defender at times, but gee mennings made some poor decisions and tackles.

Thats what I am saying, it is a tough position to defend sometimes so you should have a smart player out there who has anticipation and the like.

T-Boon

Coach
No he wasn’t. He was ducking rubbish at any part of the game where he didn’t have the ball in his hands (and quite often rubbish then as well).

Wrong go look at some old tape. He was a good tackler around the legs (not always, so game situation he would drop his bottle and give up).

T-Boon

Coach
Regarding Sandow I saw him make a lot of technically great boot-lace tackles. The type of tackle that 20 years ago would have been applauded but in todays game (in the middle) lead to fast play the balls and therefore are a mistake. They would still be great tackles on the wing. So would the tackles that our current dummy halves make.
Sandow was indeed a terrible all around defender because he was too small and also dropped his bottle (quit) a lot.