What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

handyman2190

Bench
Yeah thats what I was told exactly what was happening, As I posted that before, Im onto it now to find out whats actually going on.
This is a farce,seibold needs to be given the u20s
I think this is a game of chess, broncos dont want to pay him out,they have figured souths are desperate and are waiting for us to act first.

Dogmatix

Juniors
People are massively overreacting

Seibold has always had a contract to coach Souths in 2019. Bennett has always had a contract to coach Brisbane in 2019. It makes perfect sense that they honour their contracts

I don't understand why people start screaming that a player or coach has to go if they sign elsewhere for the following year. Angus Crichton did this at Souths this year and gave his all during the season

Not long ago on this forum Seibs was being hailed as a supercoach and people were so glad to be rid of Madge. Now Seibs is one of the most hated men in Souths history. It is bizarre how fickle footy fans are

Mr Spock!

Referee

Seibold has always had a contract to coach Souths in 2019. Bennett has always had a contract to coach Brisbane in 2019. It makes perfect sense that they honour their contracts

I don't understand why people start screaming that a player or coach has to go if they sign elsewhere for the following year. Angus Crichton did this at Souths this year and gave his all during the season

Not long ago on this forum Seibs was being hailed as a supercoach and people were so glad to be rid of Madge. Now Seibs is one of the most hated men in Souths history. It is bizarre how fickle footy fans are
Exactly. The same forum was chanting to kick Madge out. Now they're dirty on Seibold for fulfilling his contract.

Seems all the talk of inside discussions and being told this would be sorted by the end of the week (pick a week) were mainly just wishful thinking.

Randwick Rabbit

Juniors

I don't like the situation at all, but it's hard to argue against any of your points.

Mr Spock!

Referee

And compounding that hypocrisy are those that supported the dismissal of our premiership centres for being merkins while extolling the virtues of Lodge, who's an even bigger merkin and whose virtue is he hasn't terrorised a family for a year.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Once again - none of this is surprising.

Clubs are reluctant to piss 1 million dollars down the drain - even Brisbane. I doubt Souths could afford it. It's no surprise Bennett opted to stay with the squad he developed and would be hoping to win a premiership with in his final year at his legacy club.

Our guys and Seibold have to get on with what they're bloody well paid to do.

callmack1

Staff member
This from Sporting News just annoys me even more!!!!

South Sydney Rabbitohs expected Wayne Bennett at training on December 3

Wayne Bennett had informed South Sydney he would begin his tenure as coach of the Rabbitohs on December 3 before recommitting to the Brisbane Broncos for 2019, reports claim.

According to The Courier Mail's Peter Badel, the Rabbitohs consulted Bennett about a key pre-season training camp after he told the club he was about to be sacked by Brisbane.

Current Souths coach Anthony Seibold, who has signed on to coach Brisbane from 2020, was reportedly aware of the plan and expected to swap posts with Bennett in the coming weeks.

Those plans were thrown on their head on Saturday, when Brisbane chairman Karl Morris decided to stick with Bennett for 2019 following a meeting on Saturday.

Badel claims that Souths had a tentative plan for a pre-season camp but were ready to alter it in favour of a different camp that would begin the Bennett era at the club.

The development leaves current Bunnies coach Seibold in a tight spot, with questions over his position sure to be asked.

After just one year as a head coach in the NRL, Seibold signed another deal with Brisbane, while Bennett sought to secure his own future after Brisbane decided to look elsewhere at the end of his contract.

Seibold is contracted to the Broncos for 2020 but most figured the clubs would sort out a swap deal and bring the moves forward.

Badel also reports that Bennett's long-term right-hand man Jason Demetriou is set to follow him to Redfern in 2020, with Peter Gentle set to join Seibold at the Broncos.

ThingFish

Juniors
This from Sporting News just annoys me even more!!!!

South Sydney Rabbitohs expected Wayne Bennett at training on December 3

Wayne Bennett had informed South Sydney he would begin his tenure as coach of the Rabbitohs on December 3 before recommitting to the Brisbane Broncos for 2019, reports claim.

According to The Courier Mail's Peter Badel, the Rabbitohs consulted Bennett about a key pre-season training camp after he told the club he was about to be sacked by Brisbane.

Current Souths coach Anthony Seibold, who has signed on to coach Brisbane from 2020, was reportedly aware of the plan and expected to swap posts with Bennett in the coming weeks.

Those plans were thrown on their head on Saturday, when Brisbane chairman Karl Morris decided to stick with Bennett for 2019 following a meeting on Saturday.

Badel claims that Souths had a tentative plan for a pre-season camp but were ready to alter it in favour of a different camp that would begin the Bennett era at the club.

The development leaves current Bunnies coach Seibold in a tight spot, with questions over his position sure to be asked.

After just one year as a head coach in the NRL, Seibold signed another deal with Brisbane, while Bennett sought to secure his own future after Brisbane decided to look elsewhere at the end of his contract.

Seibold is contracted to the Broncos for 2020 but most figured the clubs would sort out a swap deal and bring the moves forward.

Badel also reports that Bennett's long-term right-hand man Jason Demetriou is set to follow him to Redfern in 2020, with Peter Gentle set to join Seibold at the Broncos.
Complete shit show. “Club Of Choice” hahahahaha. Who the hell would want to sign on to this circus.

Hopefully when the senior players are all back in camp they can get the players on the same page. Maybe not make 2019 about Seibold, but about giving Sutto a sendoff he won’t forget.

But when your director of football is shopping you around because you’re not in the 2020 coaches plans, or they’re making decisions if it’s you or your brother they won’t extend, it’s not going to be an easy job.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Complete shit show. “Club Of Choice” hahahahaha. Who the hell would want to sign on to this circus.

Hopefully when the senior players are all back in camp they can get the players on the same page. Maybe not make 2019 about Seibold, but about giving Sutto a sendoff he won’t forget.

But when your director of football is shopping you around because you’re not in the 2020 coaches plans, or they’re making decisions if it’s you or your brother they won’t extend, it’s not going to be an easy job.
Well the players need to do the job they're paid to do, and maybe the brothers need to justify their hefty wages.

Just on that - Bennett was never fond of paying overs for props....

callmack1

Staff member
A couple of articles from Sporting News,

Could this be a new twist to the Wayne Bennett-Anthony Seibold saga?

Cunning Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett has painted the Broncos so far into the corner over his future that it may force South Sydney to install a caretaker coach next year.

That’s the belief of Sporting News league expert Peter Peters, who finds it hard to see how Brisbane-bound Anthony Seibold can last at Redfern.

Zorba believes the Bennett-Seibold swap will either happen over the next few weeks or the Bunnies will get rid of Seibold early and look for someone to warm Bennett’s seat until the master coach’s arrival in 2020.

“It’s a circus and Bennett’s the ringmaster,” Peters told Sky Sports Radio .

“He’s digging his heels in and is sticking like glue to the Broncos.

“And at the moment Souths are the big losers. It leaves Seibold at a club that doesn’t really want him.

“He (Bennett) will exit his old club on his terms while Seibold will either work out the 2019 season with the Rabbitohs or be forced to take a gap year.”

Zorba threw up Bennett’s assistant at Brisbane – the highly regarded Jason Demetriou – as someone who could take the reins at Souths for a season.

He said: “Something will need to be done soon on the Bennett-Seibold swap …either that or Souths will bring in another coach for next season and it may well be Bennett’s assistant.

“Maybe Demetriou will get the gig for 12 months in a stop-gap position.”

Souths had Bennett starting with them on December 3 but those plans were thrown into chaos when Broncos chairman Karl Morris refused to sack the veteran coach during a terse meeting on Saturday.

The 68-year-old is not about to walk away from the final year of his deal, leaving a nasty impasse that is badly impacting two clubs.

Zorba said of Bennett: “He’s played the rookie chairman off a break.

“Bennett called all the shots in the meeting.

“He hasn’t been all round all this time without learning the ropes.”

Wayne Bennett doesn’t want payout, won’t actively recruit Brisbane Broncos players to South Sydney

The general consensus in rugby league circles is that it can only end badly - but Wayne Bennett insists the Brisbane Broncos’ shock decision to keep him on as head coach in 2019 can work.

Bennett met briefly with Broncos chairman Karl Morris on Saturday and was assured he will coach the club next season.

Even the master coach, who has signed a three-year deal with South Sydney from 2020, assumed he would be punted.

According to reports Bennett had even given the Rabbitohs his starting date at the club because he was so sure the Broncos were set to sack him and install Bunnies boss Anthony Seibold immediately.

MORE: Valentine Holmes NFL move: Cronulla Sharks would've denied release to Australian sport |

Several ex-Broncos have called for the club to cut ties with Bennett immediately in recent weeks amid allegations the 68-year-old facilitated discussions between the Rabbitohs and Penrith forward Trent Merrin earlier this month.

Bennett denied those claims and is adamant he won’t actively recruit Broncos stars for the 2020 season.

‘‘I think it will (work), it certainly won’t worry me,’’ he told Fairfax Media.

‘‘If you look at my coaching time, the last time I left the Broncos, Darius Boyd was the only player I’ve ever taken.

“I’m not looking to recruit Darius from the club. But if the players want to come, that’s up to them (but) I won’t deliberately be trying to recruit players.’’

Boom back-rower Tevita Pangai Junior and controversial prop Matt Lodge are both yet to sign contracts with the Broncos this season.

Bennett’s reprieve for the 2019 NRL campaign will see both players remain at Red Hill for one more season.

The Bunnies may balk at the chance to sign Lodge in 2020 due to his well-documented off-field issues but Pangai Junior is already considered a certainty to link with Bennett at Redfern.

Meanwhile, Bennett claims he was not angling for a payout from the Broncos before joining South Sydney next month.

The Broncos would have had to pay the seven-time premiership-winning coach his $900,000 salary for 2019 to facilitate a swap with Seibold, who inked a four-year deal starting in 2020 with Brisbane last month.

“At no stage did Karl mention a payout,” Bennett told The Courier Mail.

“The payout isn’t an issue, there was no talk about straight swaps with Seibold, it was never part of the discussion.

“The Broncos have said they intend to honour my deal and I can only take their word on that.”

Brisbane’s shock decision to keep Bennett around has left the Rabbitohs in disarray.

Multiple reports suggest Seibold has lost the support of senior South Sydney players after pledging his long-term allegiance to the Broncos.

Spot On

Coach
Well the players need to do the job they're paid to do, and maybe the brothers need to justify their hefty wages.

Just on that - Bennett was never fond of paying overs for props....

He's okayed a motza for Payne Haas and will do the same for Pangai Jr. Those days are gone.

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

South Sydney still betting on Wayne Bennett-Anthony Seibold coach swap, report

South Sydney management have not given up hope Wayne Bennett will break his promise to Brisbane Broncos players and instead honour his pledge to report to work at Redfern from next Monday.

Bennett was convinced he was set to be sacked by the Broncos and last week informed the Rabbitohs he would begin his Redfern reign on Monday, December 3.

But the veteran coach also vowed he would see out the final year of his deal at Red Hill in an off-season text message he sent to his players in October.

Despite his promise and multiple public declarations he would coach the Broncos in 2019, it was considered a certainty Bennett would be axed.

But in a shock twist chairman Karl Morris on Saturday assured the 68-year-old he would be allowed to see out the final year of his Broncos deal.

The bizarre three-minute meeting seemingly ended the uncertainty after months of speculation Bennett and current Bunnies boss Anthony Seibold would swap jobs in 2019.

Bennett has signed a three-year contract with South Sydney while Seibold recently committed to a four-year deal at Red Hill – both starting in 2020.

Despite Bennett’s claims via the media over the weekend that the issue of a coaching swap was dead and buried, the general consensus in rugby league circles is that the switch will still take place.

And according to Fairfax Media, the Bunnies are of the same opinion.

While Bennett insists the clearly dysfunctional dynamic between himself and the Broncos board can work in 2019, the Bunnies are desperate to switch amid reports Seibold has lost the support of his senior players.

Sporting News Australia contributor and veteran rugby league official Peter Peters on Sunday suggested the Rabbitohs could even take the drastic step of appointing an interim coach next season if Bennett stays in Brisbane.

In another timely piece of drama orchestrated by the rugby league Gods, Bennett and Seibold are expected to be in the same room at a coach’s conference this week.

Only time will tell which club both men will be representing at the annual talkfest at Rugby League Central.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
From Sporting News,

South Sydney still betting on Wayne Bennett-Anthony Seibold coach swap, report

South Sydney management have not given up hope Wayne Bennett will break his promise to Brisbane Broncos players and instead honour his pledge to report to work at Redfern from next Monday.

Bennett was convinced he was set to be sacked by the Broncos and last week informed the Rabbitohs he would begin his Redfern reign on Monday, December 3.

But the veteran coach also vowed he would see out the final year of his deal at Red Hill in an off-season text message he sent to his players in October.

Despite his promise and multiple public declarations he would coach the Broncos in 2019, it was considered a certainty Bennett would be axed.

But in a shock twist chairman Karl Morris on Saturday assured the 68-year-old he would be allowed to see out the final year of his Broncos deal.

The bizarre three-minute meeting seemingly ended the uncertainty after months of speculation Bennett and current Bunnies boss Anthony Seibold would swap jobs in 2019.

Bennett has signed a three-year contract with South Sydney while Seibold recently committed to a four-year deal at Red Hill – both starting in 2020.

Despite Bennett’s claims via the media over the weekend that the issue of a coaching swap was dead and buried, the general consensus in rugby league circles is that the switch will still take place.

And according to Fairfax Media, the Bunnies are of the same opinion.

While Bennett insists the clearly dysfunctional dynamic between himself and the Broncos board can work in 2019, the Bunnies are desperate to switch amid reports Seibold has lost the support of his senior players.

Sporting News Australia contributor and veteran rugby league official Peter Peters on Sunday suggested the Rabbitohs could even take the drastic step of appointing an interim coach next season if Bennett stays in Brisbane.

In another timely piece of drama orchestrated by the rugby league Gods, Bennett and Seibold are expected to be in the same room at a coach’s conference this week.

Only time will tell which club both men will be representing at the annual talkfest at Rugby League Central.
WTF! Klemmer signs a 5 year deal with the Knights, Napa signs a 3 year deal with Dogs. Now the rorters will probably sign Tapau or maybe even Cookie. And we can't sign Jack!! I'm well and truly over it!!

handyman2190

Bench
WTF! Klemmer signs a 5 year deal with the Knights, Napa signs a 3 year deal with Dogs. Now the rorters will probably sign Tapau or maybe even Cookie. And we can't sign Jack!! I'm well and truly over it!!
The knights have signed quality first graders does this mean they were paying the existing players peanuts?
I cannot believe they still have cap its a joke and yes we sit on our hands, its a farce!!

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Our Cap Mamagement has been a complete joke. It’s obvious that our top paid players are being paid very well with not much left for the rest of the squad. I presume these same players are taking up all the 3rd party payments as well. That’s why we can’t sign other players.