What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

axl rose

Bench
Of my own club, ‘98 was the gun team. It was essentially the core of the 92-93 teams (except Lazarus) but with Lockyer at fullback.

Would like to have seen Parra get a shot at them in the GF. They had beaten them twice during the year, including in the finals. Unfortunately they forgot they still had 10 minutes to play vs Dogs.

Anyway 94 Raiders the best.

King hit

Coach
Would like to have seen Parra get a shot at them in the GF. They had beaten them twice during the year, including in the finals. Unfortunately they forgot they still had 10 minutes to play vs Dogs.

Anyway 94 Raiders the best.

The moment before the Bulldogs began that comeback the commentators started to talk about the grand final and what Parra's chances were like. It's gold hearing the pain in Sterlo's voice.

It would've been very interesting seeing a Broncos V Eels grand final in 1998 especially considering the Eels beat the Broncos in the first week of the finals that year. And considering the Eels used to beat Brisbane a bit then they would've fancied themselves.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Storm 2017 not popular but won the prelim and gf by a combined score of 66-6.

Also most of their losses were due to origin. Apart from a 38-36 loss to Titans
Yep they had 4 losses last year but two of those were without the big 3 due to Origin. So they really only lost two games all year.

The only mark you could have against that Storm side is something out of their control which is that they had no real competition. It was a woeful season with no other decent sides.

They're probably the best club side I've seen and yet you'd have loved them to overcome a couple of quality sides in the Prelim and GF.

Every super hero needs a good villain so to speak.

Cogburn

Juniors
The 75 Roosters and then daylight second. They won 20 of 22 premiership games, they finished minor premiers by 10 points, they won the gf 38-0 against Saints, they also won the amco cup beating Parra 17-7, they had the best defense by a mile conceding only 198 points all year, in attack they scored 431 points (83 tries). As a 13 year old I would go to the footy knowing they would win. They won 19 premiership games in a row which is still the record. The team they had boasted Fairfax, Mullins, Brass, Harris, Schubert, Peard, Mayes, Reilly, Coote and big Artie and they were coached by Jack Gibson. They were a brilliant team.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Historically speaking and looking purely at the statistics I think the 1935 Roosters were basically the Bradman of Rugby League.

Over just 16 games they scored 599 pts and conceded 157 for a differential of + 442. And that's with 3 pt tries.

They averaged 37pts per game and the next best was 21.

It's hard to judge teams you didn't see but again purely from a statistical perspective I'd imagine that the 1935 team is a pretty strong candidate for best ever.

Last edited:

Ray McKigney

Juniors
I know this controversial to say but I think the Broncos of 2019 will be the greatest club team of all time. The have the best group of up and coming forwards I've ever seen. I don't think there's ever been anything like it in rugby league and believe me I've watched a lot of rugby league, every time in between AFL ad breaks and Grey's Anatomy re-runs at the very least. Not to mention their 1-13 are either all rep players or rep quality. Even though they got rid of the game's greatest ever coach and mentor Wayne Bennett I still think they're in a good position with the game's best young coach in Anthony Seibold taking his place. Now if only the Titans don't poach anymore of their juniors to keep things fair. In a way I almost envy them and their wonderful supporters but then I realise that if the Broncos are doing well then rugby league is doing well.

Historically speaking and looking purely at the statistics I think the 1935 Roosters were basically the Bradman of Rugby League.

Should we really count anything before 1998? It's been categorically proven that players of today are faster, more athletic and much tougher than the ones who played in the past.

This post has been approved by I Bleed Maroon

Latest posts