What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

Bronco18

Juniors
Of my own club, ‘98 was the gun team. It was essentially the core of the 92-93 teams (except Lazarus) but with Lockyer at fullback.

Huge pack and attacking weapons across the park.

I think we’ll look back in the coming years and see the Storm 2017 side as one of the best. Not really a weak link in the starting 13.

nick87

Coach
It's the '94 Raiders

1. Mullins: NSW, Australian rep. One of the most electric players to ever play
2. Nagas: NSW, Australian rep. Astoundingly good winger in his day.
3. Meninga: QLD, Australian rep. Immortal. Arguably the most decorated RL in history, when taking into account his QLD coaching records too.
4. Wiki: NZ rep. 55 test appearences, one of the best players in NZ RL history.
5. Nadruku: Fiji rep. Would be one of their best players ever. Also can outdrink everyone you can name
6. Daley: NSW, Australian rep. One of the best players to ever play.
7. Stuart: NSW, Australian rep. Owner of Alan Langer. Comfortably a top 5 all time halfback.
8. Lomax: NZ Rep. Very hard man enforcer type. 16 test caps.
9. Walters: QLD, Australian rep. The second best modern style hooker of all time.
10. Pongia: NZ Rep. 35 test caps. Another big hard bastard who fit the style at the time.
11. Croker: NSW, Australian rep. Probably the worst player in this team. Which speaks to it's quality
12. Furner: NSW, Australian rep. Clive Churchill medalist. One of the highest point scoring forwards in history.
13. Clyde: NSW, Australian rep. 2x Clive Churchill medalist, including one on a losing team. Best running lock of all time.

Good luck topping that.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
It's the '94 Raiders

3. Meninga: QLD, Australian rep. Immortal. Arguably the most decorated RL in history, when taking into account his QLD coaching records too.
5. Nadruku: Fiji rep. Would be one of their best players ever. Also can outdrink everyone you can name
7. Stuart: NSW, Australian rep. Owner of Alan Langer. Comfortably a top 5 all time halfback.
9. Walters: NSW, Australian rep. The second best moedern style hooker of all time.
10. Pongia: NZ Rep. 35 test caps. Another big hard bastard who fit the style at the time.
11. Croker: NSW, Australian rep. Probably the worst player in this team. Which speaks to it's quality
12. Furner: NSW, Australian rep. Clive Churchill medalist. One of the highest point scoring forwards in history.
13. Clyde: NSW, Australian rep. 2x Clive Churchill medalist, including one on a losing team. Best running lock of all time.

Good luck topping that.

1995 Cowboys

1. Damian Gibson
2. David Bouveng
3. Adrian Vowles
4. Willie Morganson
5. John Skardon
6. Ian Dunemann
7. Laurie Spina (c)
8. Martin Bella
9. Dean Schifilliti
10. Andrew Whittington
11. Wayne Sing
12. Ian Russell
13. Paul Galea

CHECKMATE!

Valheru

Coach
If we stick to regular season only, F/A is as good as any metric to determine the top performing teams. Only 7 sides in the NRL era have posted a differential of +300 or greater as per below

2001 Parra - 433*
1998 Broncos - 378
2007 Storm - 350**
2004 Roosters - 342
2013 Roosters - 315
2008 Storm - 302**
2000 Broncos - 300*

*26 games played as opposed to 24
**Team was stripped of all achievements due to cap cheating

2013 roosters stands out in that lot simply because no other team has done it since 2008. Storm 2017 and Roosters 2015 were mighty close though.

Parra would have an adjusted figure of 400 for a 24 game season in 2001 and Brisbane 277 in 2000 which would se them come off the list.

typicalfan

Coach
Storm 2017 not popular but won the prelim and gf by a combined score of 66-6.

Also most of their losses were due to origin. Apart from a 38-36 loss to Titans

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1992 Broncos for mine..

Only lost 4 games all season and were just a league above everyone else that year.

beave

Coach

if this thread was about jerseys, we’d win hands down.

927050-5f88275e-6735-11e5-968b-5ebf3b994251.jpg

what a time to have been alive........

I think I was the only NQ fan at North Sydney Oval that year when the bears
ran 60-0 on us. That game is only beaten in the humiliation stakes by the 2001 eels game in Sydney. PJ Marsh gets sent off for a tackle in the 10th minute and it’s 0-0 and I think ‘f**k
yeah, we’re a chance here!!!!’

merkins put 62-0 on us with only 12 men on the field.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yes but the 1975 GF team had a few additions like Schubert, due to injury they were missing Mark Harris and Russell Fairfax, whilst Barry Reilly started on the reserves bench due to an ankle injury which is why he only played the last 10 minutes of the game.

I remember Fairfax breaking his leg when Mark Harris fell on him in an Amco Cup semi in 1975, he probably would have played league for Australia if he didn't break his leg. Although his form was still good in 1976-77 he never quite hit the form he had before the broken leg.

Reflector

Juniors
Parra during the whole year we’re vastly superior to newy. Their F/A was nearly 450 from memory. Sure you can line the players up side by side and I agree with you on paper, newy look much better but that eels teams were magnificent on the paddock. They literally shat the bed on GF night though.Newy were superb that night and ambushed them. I just think throughout the entire season Parra were much better.

Knights also beat Parra by 20 points earlier in the season at Marathon. The night Parra won 40-0 at Parra Stadium the Knights were missing a couple of their rep players.

gerg

Juniors
It's the '94 Raiders

9. Walters: NSW, Australian rep. The second best moedern style hooker of all time.

Good luck topping that.

Yep, can't be beat.
Also worth mentioning that 4 players from that side went on to become 4 of the greatest coaches to ever hold a clipboard. As a whole the 'greatest thinking' football team in the history of the game!

For me - its the teams who really just stood out for most/all the season and never really looked in doubt to win the comp.

With this

1 - 1994 Canberra Raiders. Standouts.
2 - 1982 Parramatta Eels
3 - 2017 Melbourne Storm.
4 - 2000 Brisbane Broncos
5 - 1996 Manly Sea Eagles (as much as the GF loss pained me at the time, this was my favourite dragons season of all-time given what they achieved from start to finish. Yes, more than the 2010 win).

Ignored any sides I didn't watch play which is pretty much from 1981 and earlier.

Re Dragons - our 2010 side was the best collective team I can remember donning the Red V, won the minor prem by 4 points and without bias were the standout regular season team that year. However we were never morals to win the comp like many others as per my opinions above. But thankfully we got the job done emphatically in the GF after scraping through against the Tigers in the prelim.

King hit

Coach
63 St George are the only team to have won premierships in every grade (I think). From who i saw Melbourne from last year for total domination or one of those early 2000’s Roosters teams.

beave

Coach
I’ve never been told why, but all the expansion teams were so dogshit up until the Titans.

the 1995 expansion teams had just under 2 years to get their squads ready. Bringing 4 teams in at once was f**ked as clubs were forced to sign has beens and reserve graders to try and fill rosters. You also had to fill reserve grade sides as well so there was a massive demand on player numbers.

King hit

Coach
the 1995 expansion teams had just under 2 years to get their squads ready. Bringing 4 teams in at once was f**ked as clubs were forced to sign has beens and reserve graders to try and fill rosters. You also had to fill reserve grade sides as well so there was a massive demand on player numbers.

When North Queensland entered the comp did they have to pay for travel for clubs flying into Townsville like the Western Reds had to do?

Briza

Juniors
For me - its the teams who really just stood out for most/all the season and never really looked in doubt to win the comp.

With this

1 - 1994 Canberra Raiders. Standouts.
2 - 1982 Parramatta Eels
3 - 2017 Melbourne Storm.
4 - 2000 Brisbane Broncos
5 - 1996 Manly Sea Eagles (as much as the GF loss pained me at the time, this was my favourite dragons season of all-time given what they achieved from start to finish. Yes, more than the 2010 win).

Ignored any sides I didn't watch play which is pretty much from 1981 and earlier.

Re Dragons - our 2010 side was the best collective team I can remember donning the Red V, won the minor prem by 4 points and without bias were the standout regular season team that year. However we were never morals to win the comp like many others as per my opinions above. But thankfully we got the job done emphatically in the GF after scraping through against the Tigers in the prelim.

That 1996 Manly side gets my vote, from memory they averaged 6 or 8 points against per game that year.