What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

beave

Coach
I know this controversial to say but I think the Broncos of 2019 will be the greatest club team of all time. The have the best group of up and coming forwards I've ever seen. I don't think there's ever been anything like it in rugby league and believe me I've watched a lot of rugby league, every time in between AFL ad breaks and Grey's Anatomy re-runs at the very least. Not to mention their 1-13 are either all rep players or rep quality. Even though they got rid of the game's greatest ever coach and mentor Wayne Bennett I still think they're in a good position with the game's best young coach in Anthony Seibold taking his place. Now if only the Titans don't poach anymore of their juniors to keep things fair. In a way I almost envy them and their wonderful supporters but then I realise that if the Broncos are doing well then rugby league is doing well.

Should we really count anything before 1998? It's been categorically proven that players of today are faster, more athletic and much tougher than the ones who played in the past.

This post has been approved by I Bleed Maroon

# adversity

That 1996 Manly side gets my vote, from memory they averaged 6 or 8 points against per game that year.

Right you are - and why I had them in there. 8.68 per game, astonishing. I remember that team as a standout for a defence that looked as solid as any I've ever seen.

Pld W D L PF PA PD Pts
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
22 18 0 4 549 191 +358 36

They replayed the 96 GF on Fox in the grand final lead up.. The Dragons had a lot of ball inside Manly territory in the first half but the defence was impeccable as per usual. Manson's call before half time did truly nail any chance we had but in reality and in unbiased hindsight for mine, Manly weren't going to lose that game and were far and away the best side all year. They truly deserved the title - one of the great club sides.

mongoose

Coach
If we stick to regular season only, F/A is as good as any metric to determine the top performing teams. Only 7 sides in the NRL era have posted a differential of +300 or greater as per below

2001 Parra - 433*
1998 Broncos - 378
2007 Storm - 350**
2004 Roosters - 342
2013 Roosters - 315
2008 Storm - 302**
2000 Broncos - 300*

*26 games played as opposed to 24
**Team was stripped of all achievements due to cap cheating

2013 roosters stands out in that lot simply because no other team has done it since 2008. Storm 2017 and Roosters 2015 were mighty close though.

Parra would have an adjusted figure of 400 for a 24 game season in 2001 and Brisbane 277 in 2000 which would se them come off the list.

One team nobody talks about is Manly 1995 - 22 W - 2 L and +439, Canberra also had 22W 2L that year and +379. Ofcourse the Dogs won that year, crazy season....

El Diablo

Post Whore
I certainly wasn't born the last time Parramatta won a premiership.

Oh wait nobody has ever heard of the f**kers you support, because you hide it.
you weren't born the last time Brisbane won one either seeing Jason Smith still played in 06

Springs09

Juniors

Side-by-side doesn't mean much, Parra 01 were a special team - most of those players played their best seasons in 2001 and didn't get close to that kind of form anywhere else in their career. People do forget though that Newcastle were very dominant throughout the year apart from when Johns was injured, in which they were so shit Parra beat them 40-0. I can't say that Newcastle were the better all-round team when they fall apart without one player, but it does show how dominant Johns was, much more dominant than any other player in the NRL era.

Springs09

Juniors
From my experience I'd have
Brisbane - 1998
Parramatta - 2001
Manly - 2008
Melbourne - 2017

Storm 2017 wasn't the best side to watch but there's no denying their achievements.
If Roosters 2019 live up to their potential they could be better than all these sides.

Springs09

Juniors
Knights also beat Parra by 20 points earlier in the season at Marathon. The night Parra won 40-0 at Parra Stadium the Knights were missing a couple of their rep players.

That was Round 3 or something though. Parra didn't hit their stride until about Round 10, before that they were even on W-L with one draw (against the Cowboys no less).

Also for best club side of all time you'd have to go with the undefeated clubs. And I know it's not counting other years but the fact that Easts did it twice in 1936 and 1937 and St George won 11 in a row around 1959 you have to say that those teams are a little above the others.

Hawkins

Juniors
Ive been watching more seriously since 2013.

I'd say in that time 2014 Bunnies were probably the best team I've seen.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Side-by-side doesn't mean much, Parra 01 were a special team - most of those players played their best seasons in 2001 and didn't get close to that kind of form anywhere else in their career. People do forget though that Newcastle were very dominant throughout the year apart from when Johns was injured, in which they were so shit Parra beat them 40-0. I can't say that Newcastle were the better all-round team when they fall apart without one player, but it does show how dominant Johns was, much more dominant than any other player in the NRL era.
This

Brad drew was carving it up that year and many now wouldn’t now wouldn’t know who he is

TIGER14

Bench
Hard to beat the Wests Tigers team of 2014.

A team oozing with talent including but not limited to Cory Paterson, Joel Luani, Braith Anasta, Keith Lulia, Kurtis Rowe, Jy Hitchcox and Jumpin Jack Buchanan.

Glory days.

I'd like to see that side play the Souths 2003 side

1994 Canberra were the best I've seen.

I was only a kid at the time but the excitement generated by the green machine as I was becoming old enough to understand footy was something else.

Looking back at that team on paper only reinforces my view that I'm not only voting for them out of nostalgia.

Latest posts