What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
[QUOTE="Crashtest, post: 13348168, member: 49832Cleary showed last year, even though he had a weak squad, that he was willing to drop players to reserve grade. So I can see him doing the same this season if there are players not showing the right discipline and attitude that he expects of them.[/QUOTE]

It is easier to drop guys when it is a team of plodders. My 2 most disappointing guys last year were RCG and JFH. Both of whom are locked up long term. They usually get the most leeway with these things

TheFrog

Coach
[QUOTE="Crashtest, post: 13348168, member: 49832Cleary showed last year, even though he had a weak squad, that he was willing to drop players to reserve grade. So I can see him doing the same this season if there are players not showing the right discipline and attitude that he expects of them.

It is easier to drop guys when it is a team of plodders. My 2 most disappointing guys last year were RCG and JFH. Both of whom are locked up long term. They usually get the most leeway with these things[/QUOTE]
Tyrone Philips was dropped to reserve grade but only because Mansour was returning. I can't think of the last Panther dropped to reserves for form reasons. Jamie Soward perhaps? Hiku IIRC was injured but came back in reserves before wanting out (could be wrong).

franklin2323

Immortal
It is easier to drop guys when it is a team of plodders. My 2 most disappointing guys last year were RCG and JFH. Both of whom are locked up long term. They usually get the most leeway with these things
Tyrone Philips was dropped to reserve grade but only because Mansour was returning. I can't think of the last Panther dropped to reserves for form reasons. Jamie Soward perhaps? Hiku IIRC was injured but came back in reserves before wanting out (could be wrong).[/QUOTE]

Nope we don't drop guys often. Hopefully that was in the past

snickers007

Juniors
Leota was dropped for Round 2 after his brain snaps against the Eels. Only got a reprieve cause McKendry did his knee.

We need to remember, both McKendry and Browne were gone for the season by the end of Round 2. Our props would have had much more internal pressure had they stuck around for the season.
We also lost Latu pre-season.

Our front-row stocks were shot - and once injury and fatigue started hitting, we were forced to blood Hetherington and Ellis.

Had McKendry and Browne stuck around, we would have seen our props dropped and rotated a bit more.

That goes for all our squad really. We were f**ked by injury, and that really limited who we could choose. Can't blame Hook for that.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
It does beg the question why didn't we bring a prop in from another club
Our new recruits of Sele and Tyrell indicates we're strapped for money. We shouldn't be with how many people have left and the cap is probably one good siging above what it should be. But with that said Sele was pretty much the best reserve grade prop/lock last year and he'll go decently if given a shot.

As for dropping people well just last year Ivan dropped Nofoaluma despite how good he was (compared to the rest of the team).

franklin2323

Immortal
Browne's Money would of came off the cap once he retired. Could of gone on an external prop for the same price..so that excuse doesn't work

betcats

Referee
You guys take a very black and white view of the salary cap, we have about ten to fifteen percent of the information we need to have any understanding of the clubs salary cap position. What kind of player do you think Tim Browne money gets you? And re-signing two young players(Waqa,kikau) who would already be in the top 4 players at their positions and are getting better and not bringing in another depth prop means salary cap mismanagement does it? Add Nathan Cleary's signature into that which no doubt cost a shit load of our cap. Buit Tim Browne wasn't replaced like for like so we have mismanaged the cap? Come on. I daresay we are overpaying for Maloney and Cleary as well as Tamou but outside that we have re-signed every young guy we wanted to keep from my memory and now they are maturing into quality NRL players and we are still re-signing them, they just cost more now. We aren't getting guys like Waqa, Kikau, Cleary or even Luai cheap anymore.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
. I daresay we are overpaying for Maloney and Cleary as well as Tamou but outside that we have re-signed every young guy we wanted to keep from my memory and now they are maturing into quality NRL players and we are still re-signing them, they just cost more now. We aren't getting guys like Waqa, Kikau, Cleary or even Luai cheap anymore.
Add RCG and probably JFH to the players on overs list. And every minimum wage player not being paid minimum wage.

I also think Maloney is probably on his market value here rather than overs. He may or may not perform to the standards we expect... but that's another story.

But he's supposedly on $850k which is very reasonable for a half of his experience. Only thanks to Ben Hunt... he put average halves worth at $1m+ so Maloney on less than $1m is pretty good. Assuming his body holds up he's easily the best value for money big name signing in the past few years. Fancy a half of his calibre barely being on more than Merrin and Tamou were.

betcats

Referee
Add RCG and probably JFH to the players on overs list. And every minimum wage player not being paid minimum wage.

I also think Maloney is probably on his market value here rather than overs. He may or may not perform to the standards we expect... but that's another story.

But he's supposedly on $850k which is very reasonable for a half of his experience. Only thanks to Ben Hunt... he put average halves worth at $1m+ so Maloney on less than $1m is pretty good. Assuming his body holds up he's easily the best value for money big name signing in the past few years. Fancy a half of his calibre barely being on more than Merrin and Tamou were.

I’m not so sure about rcg and fish, I mean they could be but I don’t see anything to suggest they are. Market value is not overs, we wouldn’t of had to beat any outside offers we got to keep them, we might not of even had to match offers from other clubs to get them to stay.

Cleary has massive hype around his re-signing and his career to date. Maloney and Tamou were signed from outside the club as current international ororigin players, and Maloney even f**ked up his third party deal costing us latu, that’s why I suggested those three.

franklin2323

Immortal
You guys take a very black and white view of the salary cap, we have about ten to fifteen percent of the information we need to have any understanding of the clubs salary cap position. What kind of player do you think Tim Browne money gets you? And re-signing two young players(Waqa,kikau) who would already be in the top 4 players at their positions and are getting better and not bringing in another depth prop means salary cap mismanagement does it? Add Nathan Cleary's signature into that which no doubt cost a shit load of our cap. Buit Tim Browne wasn't replaced like for like so we have mismanaged the cap? Come on. I daresay we are overpaying for Maloney and Cleary as well as Tamou but outside that we have re-signed every young guy we wanted to keep from my memory and now they are maturing into quality NRL players and we are still re-signing them, they just cost more now. We aren't getting guys like Waqa, Kikau, Cleary or even Luai cheap anymore.

We would of had to replace Browne with someone on atleast $100k anyway. There was a few decent enough guys in lower grades elsewhere we could of got...Assuming the guys we had weren't good enough. We didn't so can't blame no options for not dropping guys

RCG is getting elite prop money with less then 100 FG to his name. We don't pay minmum wage...How many of the top teams don't do this? Luai is on way overs for where he stands in the team. How many others

betcats

Referee
We would of had to replace Browne with someone on atleast $100k anyway. There was a few decent enough guys in lower grades elsewhere we could of got...Assuming the guys we had weren't good enough. We didn't so can't blame no options for not dropping guys

RCG is getting elite prop money with less then 100 FG to his name. We don't pay minmum wage...How many of the top teams don't do this? Luai is on way overs for where he stands in the team. How many others

RCG is an elite prop, he proved that last season when he was fit. Where does your intimate knowledge of what we are paying our players come from?

100k does not get you get anything other than what we already have on the books. Who do you think we could've signed for 100k?

RCG is an elite prop, he proved that last season when he was fit. Where does your intimate knowledge of what we are paying our players come from?

100k does not get you get anything other than what we already have on the books. Who do you think we could've signed for 100k?
A Tim Grant type maybe......

betcats

Referee
A Tim Grant type maybe......

He's much more mobile and athletic than Tim Grant, he is also our leader in the forwards. Forget his form when he came back from injury, to start the year he was great and then once he got hurt our middle third was noticeably more soft. Even Merrin was talking about how much we were missing his leadership in the middle.

You guys are the harshest judges, a few bad games and you right someone off.

Despite the popular narrative that our forwards were shit last season they actually held their own more often than not especially considering the injuries we dealt with. IMO the spine(who also had injury issues) let us down, we never, ever got origin half performance out of them both together in fact we often got much less than origin half performance out of them, though Maloney had his good little run pre origin. Also just our general discipline and lack of a plan that killed us.

Maloney had one good game for us after origin and what did Nathan do all season? Not a whole lot. Yet we weren't killed in field position battles or tackled in opposition 20 stats very often, in fact we were right near the top for being tackled in the other sides 20m which suggest the forwards were at least holding their own.

Last edited: