What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League and TV

Stallion

First Grade
That would just see nrl clubs whinging and its quick demise like the nrl nines. At least this way it sits in the legit international season and makes it more than just a pre season friendly Comp

What we need now is some really big sponsors to give it financial credibility

AND FREE TO AIR TV COVERAGE! Now that would get the sponsors in and also much greater public awareness compared to the 30% audience through just pay tv coverage as its stands now.

Pommy

Coach
AND FREE TO AIR TV COVERAGE! Now that would get the sponsors in and also much greater public awareness compared to the 30% audience through just pay tv coverage as its stands now.

We get it you want free to air. It’s not going to happen though as the rights have been sold and no free to air broadcaster is going to dump all their programming for a weekend. You don’t need to keep banging on about it.

Stallion

First Grade
We get it you want free to air. It’s not going to happen though as the rights have been sold and no free to air broadcaster is going to dump all their programming for a weekend. You don’t need to keep banging on about it.

Lol. It's an extremely important factor for international rugby league going forward! General public awareness is crucial for the international game. You think it's not worth discussing ? Some of us do! A 30% audience reach is embarassing! And simulcast on one of the many digital channels is not a big ask! Another fact you choose to ignore Pommy! Or are you keen for the international aspect of rugby league to be consigned to pay tv? Because in Australia (a rugby league World nines) deserves better coverage than perhaps 30%!

Pommy

Coach
Lol. It's an extremely important factor for international rugby league going forward! General public awareness is crucial for the international game. You think it's not worth discussing ? Some of us do! A 30% audience reach is embarassing! And simulcast on one of the many digital channels is not a big ask! Another fact you choose to ignore Pommy! Or are you keen for the international aspect of rugby league to be consigned to pay tv? Because in Australia (a rugby league World nines) deserves better coverage than perhaps 30%!

Rugby 7s hasn’t been hampered by being on Pay TV.
I’m not saying it’s not worth discussing I’m saying it has been discussed and the TV rights have been sold, it’s a done deal.

Stallion

First Grade
Rugby 7s hasn’t been hampered by being on Pay TV.
I’m not saying it’s not worth discussing I’m saying it has been discussed and the TV rights have been sold, it’s a done deal.

You mean Rugby union 7s. A very different resonance and sport compared to rugby league in Australia. It's a rugby league world tournament. It's in the deemed major heartland nation for this code, Australia. Looks like it's instead of a Kangaroos v LIONS match? So it deselves significant Public awareness and attention. I don't think someone like you would ever be on my marketing employee team for promoting rugby league. It's a very different scenario for union in Australia. It doesn't rate on tv !

Pommy

Coach
You mean Rugby union 7s. A very different resonance and sport compared to rugby league in Australia. It's a rugby league world tournament. It's in the deemed major heartland nation for this code, Australia. Looks like it's instead of a Kangaroos v LIONS match? So it deselves significant Public awareness and attention. I don't think someone like you would ever be on my marketing employee team for promoting rugby league. It's a very different scenario for union in Australia. It doesn't rate on tv !

No I mean Rugby 7s, because that’s what it’s called.
Neither does 9s dream an audience by the looks of it, as it’s been claimed on here that no FTA broadcaster bid on it.

Stallion

First Grade
No I mean Rugby 7s, because that’s what it’s called.
Neither does 9s dream an audience by the looks of it, as it’s been claimed on here that no FTA broadcaster bid on it.

No you don't mean that. I denote a disrespect for rugby league in your referencing on this site. I'm aware that's what rugby union is labeling many of their competitions. In reality it's a slight at rugby-league. It gives rugby league a secondary regard in naming. You want to continue I'll continue to note it as disrespectful toward rugby league on a rugby league website. Union or League and rugby union or rugby league is fine. Just so some respect for the code you purport to follow occurs. I'm aware of the widespread disrespect and it's not your fault but further adding to the misnomer on a rugby league designated site doesn't sit well with others that are aware of this form of 'disrespect ' for rugby league. It assumes the term "Rugby" is just for union and not league. That's not so, even though their exists a concerted push in many fronts for this to be accepted. I know you think this is over the top but it's not. It's the start of disrespecting rugby league at a very fundamental level. It's name!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
No you don't mean that. I denote a disrespect for rugby league in your referencing on this site. I'm aware that's what rugby union is labeling many of their competitions. In reality it's a slight at rugby-league. It gives rugby league a secondary regard on namingredients. You want to continue I'll continue to note it as disrespectful toward rugby league on a rugby league website. Union or League and rugby union or rugby league is fine. Just so some respect for the purport to follow. I'm aware of the widespread disrespect and its not your fault but further adding to the misnomer on a rugby league designated site doesn't sit well with others that are aware of this form of 'disrespect ' for rugby league. It assumes the term "Rugby" is just for union and not league. That's not so even though their exists a concerted in many fronts for this to be accepted. I know you think this over the top but it's not. It's the start of disrespecting rugby league at a very fundamental level. It's name!

I’m not doing this again, in the words of Duncan Bannatyne i’m out.

Valheru

Coach
No you don't mean that. I denote a disrespect for rugby league in your referencing on this site. I'm aware that's what rugby union is labeling many of their competitions. In reality it's a slight at rugby-league. It gives rugby league a secondary regard in naming. You want to continue I'll continue to note it as disrespectful toward rugby league on a rugby league website. Union or League and rugby union or rugby league is fine. Just so some respect for the code you purport to follow occurs. I'm aware of the widespread disrespect and it's not your fault but further adding to the misnomer on a rugby league designated site doesn't sit well with others that are aware of this form of 'disrespect ' for rugby league. It assumes the term "Rugby" is just for union and not league. That's not so, even though their exists a concerted push in many fronts for this to be accepted. I know you think this is over the top but it's not. It's the start of disrespecting rugby league at a very fundamental level. It's name!

Here we go again

No FTA broadcaster bid for it. Are you suggesting we should force them to broadcast it?

The only way I see that happening is to put the event on the anti-syphoning list (not going to happen) or for the game (NRL) to take less money in the TV rights in exchange for the event being broadcast i.e. pay them to broadcast it.

Are you happy with that scenario?

Stallion

First Grade
Here we go again

No FTA broadcaster bid for it. Are you suggesting we should force them to broadcast it?

The only way I see that happening is to put the event on the anti-syphoning list (not going to happen) or for the game (NRL) to take less money in the TV rights in exchange for the event being broadcast i.e. pay them to broadcast it.

Are you happy with that scenario?

Are you aware that there exists numerous digital channels? The game of rugby league is very tv friendly! To not have a simulcast coverage of a rugby league world nines tournament in Australia is not effective in promoting the code or this tournament. The administrators lead by marketing people should have assured such tv coverage. It's another mistake!

Valheru

Coach
Are you aware that there exists numerous digital channels? The game of rugby league is very tv friendly! To not have a simulcast coverage of a rugby league world nines tournament in Australia is not effective in promoting the code or this tournament. The administrators lead by marketing people should have assured such tv coverage. It's another mistake!

You haven't answered my question.

The FTA broadcasters don't want to televise it on any of their channels. Are you suggesting we force them? If so, how would you go about doing that?

Stallion

First Grade
You haven't answered my question.

The FTA broadcasters don't want to televise it on any of their channels. Are you suggesting we force them? If so, how would you go about doing that?

You are asserting that the free to air broadcasters don't want to broadcast the most popular football code bar none in the Australian market!? I'm suggesting some very poor administrators within rugby league have not made the effort to get this significant international tournament on FTA TV. It's not as if it's an unpopular sport and the multiple channels on FTA should have at least a simulcast arrangement with pay-TV. It's doable unless you think rugby league isn't attractive enough for such reasonable coverage?

Valheru

Coach
You are asserting that the free to air broadcasters don't want to broadcast the most popular football code bar none in the Australian market!? I'm suggesting some very poor administrators within rugby league have not made the effort to get this significant international tournament on FTA TV. It's not as if it's an unpopular sport and the multiple channels on FTA should have at least a simulcast arrangement with pay-TV. It's doable unless you think rugby league isn't attractive enough for such reasonable coverage?

It's not what I think, it is what the broadcasters are willing to pay for.

9's is not the same as traditional rugby league and you know it. To broadcast this the FTA stations would have to clear essentially 2 full days on one of their stations which they aren't going to do unless they are confident of extremely good ratings.

Perhaps one day they will be confident of that but clearly not yet so again, I ask you, do you suggest they are forced to broadcast the event?

Stallion

First Grade
It's not what I think, it is what the broadcasters are willing to pay for.

9's is not the same as traditional rugby league and you know it. To broadcast this the FTA stations would have to clear essentially 2 full days on one of their stations which they aren't going to do unless they are confident of extremely good ratings.

Perhaps one day they will be confident of that but clearly not yet so again, I ask you, do you suggest they are forced to broadcast the event?

They are digital channels! You don't think a World nines is worhy of coverage on a subsidiary FTA channel ?! We differ. To my eye there exists a slack regard for the rugbyleague product. For this tournament to be siphoned off to just 30% of the possible audience is a shame and reeks of poor judgement from wIthin rugbybleague and relevant broadcasters. Another MISTAKE!

Valheru

Coach
They are digital channels! You don't think a World nines is worhy of coverage on a subsidiary FTA channel ?! We differ. To my eye there exists a slack regard for the rugbyleague product. For this tournament to be siphoned off to just 30% of the possible audience is a shame and reeks of poor judgement from wIthin rugbybleague and relevant broadcasters. Another MISTAKE!

Again, I am not giving you my opinion, I am simply relaying what the broadcasters are clearly not willing to pay for.

It is only worthy for FTA if someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter how many channels they have.

Do you believe they should be forced to show it?

Stallion

First Grade
Again, I am not giving you my opinion, I am simply relaying what the broadcasters are clearly not willing to pay for.

It is only worthy for FTA if someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter how many channels they have.

Do you believe they should be forced to show it?

Let's put it this way. The broadcasters have made another mistake! Or people within rugby-league have. Or what should have happened is that this tournament is not being given the prominence it deserves the rugby league should have scheduled a Kangaroos v LIONS test in NSW instead of the seemingly undervalued or poorly regarded World nines tournament! There has been a stuff up and it's not good for the code going forward.

Valheru

Coach
Let's put it this way. The broadcasters have made another mistake! Or people within rugby-league have. Or what should have happened is that this tournament is not being given the prominence it deserves the rugby league should have scheduled a Kangaroos v LIONS test in NSW instead of the seemingly undervalued or poorly regarded World nines tournament! There has been a stuff up and it's not good for the code going forward.

If the broadcasters have made a mistake that is their right to make. They are allowed to bid for what they want, that is called a free market.

Stallion

First Grade
If the broadcasters have made a mistake that is their right to make. They are allowed to bid for what they want, that is called a free market.

That's no excuse for innept planning by rugby league administrators! There is a very attractive and long overdue test match between the Kangaroos and the touring Lions that could have occured in place of the World Nines! A massive tv audience would have been assured but sadly we have a poorly regarded World nines instead! A big mistake!

Perth Red

Post Whore
its likely to draw a bigger audience on Fox than buried on a digital channel, the viewing figures for those channels are terrible. Only way it would have had any exposure value is if the majority of the tournament was on digital then the finals were on FTA main channel on Sunday evening. But with no track record and sporadic nature of the tournament its not surprising no FTA tv company wanted to commit to it.

What the NRL could have done though is use its digital investment to broadcast it digitally free as part of the deal with Fox.

Valheru

Coach
That's no excuse for innept planning by rugby league administrators! There is a very attractive and long overdue test match between the Kangaroos and the touring Lions that could have occured in place of the World Nines! A massive tv audience would have been assured but sadly we have a poorly regarded World nines instead! A big mistake!

The GB tour is irrelevant to this discussion

We are talking about the merit of FTA broadcasters televising the 9s.

Glad you have finally seen sense and realise that the broadcasters can bid for what they want. They don't want the world 9s at the moment.

Latest posts