What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League and TV

Pommy

Coach
SBS just ran 3 days of the Ghan train driving from Darwin to Adelaide

Which was just a camera hanging out of window

So your answer is yes

And you have plus you have Optus TV desperate for content

SBS is a f**king weird TV station though.

Stallion

First Grade
When did tests go to pay tv?

I would be amazed if this is even true considering the huge number of migrants coming from the sub continent at the moment.

Tests are simulcast. T-20 is all pay tv with weekday games on FTA. One day internationals are all pay tv.

Pommy

Coach
Tests are simulcast. T-20 is all pay tv with weekday games on FTA. One day internationals are all pay tv.

Ok so when did this new TV deal start? You know the one you’re claiming has had such a big impact on the sport of cricket and participation numbers, with no evidence to back it up.

Stallion

First Grade
Ok so when did this new TV deal start? You know the one you’re claiming has had such a big impact on the sport of cricket and participation numbers, with no evidence to back it up.

Oh I see you are having a dig again! Thought you had given up? Participation figures for cricket have been on the decline for some time now. The recent tv coverage changes only addshows to/exacerbates the issue. This change happened and was announced last year for Australian cricket. Channel 9 is now covering the tennis and channel 7 has parts of the cricket which I have informed of. Pay tv has the rest.

Pommy

Coach
Oh I see you are having a dig again! Thought you had given up? Participation figures for cricket have been on the decline for some time now. The recent tv coverage changes onay add to the issue. This change happened and was announced last year for Australian cricket. Channel 9 is now covering the tennis and channel 7 has parts of the cricket which I have informed of.

Im not having a dig at all. You have made a claim which appears to be baseless and I have asked you to try and back it up a bit.
It appears you can’t.
Someone even provided a link to say that cricket participation is at record heights (dated September 2018), yet you are still claiming that it’s on the slide and attributing it to a pay TV deal which started very recently.

Stallion

First Grade
Im not having a dig at all. You have made a claim which appears to be baseless and I have asked you to try and back it up a bit.
It appears you can’t.
Someone even provided a link to say that cricket participation is at record heights (dated September 2018), yet you are still claiming that it’s on the slide and attributing it to a pay TV deal which started very recently.

I must concede that the national statistics claim an overall rise. I had noticed reduced levels of participation in the Newcastle area. So my information is local. My assumption that this was a bigger trend was wrong. You are correct Pommy. Still think that the latest tv deal for cricket is not conducive for having the game moreso in the general public eye. Less FTA tv coverage means less widespread exposure in my opinion and perhaps others. But once again, I retract my assertion on cricket participation numbers. Relating this to my local area was a mistake.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m not doing this again, in the words of Duncan Bannatyne i’m out.

I'm proud of you for getting that far - lol

His points are quite clear, if FTA channels don't want to bid on a product, we should give it to them for free and then somehow force them to show it live because it's good for the game.

Stallion

First Grade
I'm proud of you for getting that far - lol

His points are quite clear, if FTA channels don't want to bid on a product, we should give it to them for free and then somehow force them to show it live because it's good for the game.

Foolish response! Proactive and confident rugbybleague administrators should have harnessed/negotiated a better and more conpreventive tv coverage for a World nines tournament on a deemed heartland area/ state for rugby league. If they could not do not here then they will.never do it anywhere else. Some of us don't sell this very potent sports tv short. Others do!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Foolish response! Proactive and confident rugbybleague administrators should have harnessed/negotiated a better and more conpreventive tv coverage for a World nines tournament on a deemed heartland area/ state for rugby league. If they could not do not here then they will.never do it anywhere else. Some of us don't sell this very potent sports tv short. Others do!

So if they don't want to bid you would have to give it away for free instead of taking the money from Fox - who is selling the game short again?

Stallion

First Grade
So if they don't want to bid you would have to give it away for free instead of taking the money from Fox - who is selling the game short again?

Nope!? Subtle negotiation and proactive leveraging for decent tv coverage is one path for decent administrators. From what I'm seeing these people were not that way inclined or motivated that way. Poor prioritizing from the rugby league in the end!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Nope!? Subtle negotiation and proactive leveraging for decent tv coverage is one path for decent administrators. From what I'm seeing these people were not that way inclined or motivated that way. Poor prioritizing from the rugby league in the end!

Were you part of the negotiation process were you?

Stallion

First Grade
Were you part of the negotiation process were you?

A proactive suggestion. From what has transpired : Kangaroos not playing the touring Lions and 30% audience reach for a World nines tournament? I'd suggest poor negotiations and lack of proactive planning has prevailed. It's a shambles and it hasn't even started! One thing is for certain : rugby league is the loser out of this innepteness. Dudes like yourself can't work this out! That's the way it is.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A proactive suggestion. From what has transpired : Kangaroos not playing the touring Lions and 30% audience reach for a World nines tournament? I'd suggest poor negotiations and lack of proactive planning has prevailed. It's a shambles and it hasn't even started! One thing is for certain : rugby league is the loser out of this innepteness. Dudes like yourself can't work this out! That's the way it is.

That wasn't an answer

Perth Red

Post Whore
He would lock them in a room and negotiate with them until they caved in and accepted the true value of the world nines and paid handsomely for the right to screen it live. Such is the fantasy world he lives in.

Pommy

Coach

If you had your way family tickets would be a fiver, so I’m not sure what you’re banging on about now.

Stallion

First Grade
He would lock them in a room and negotiate with them until they caved in and accepted the true value of the world nines and paid handsomely for the right to screen it live. Such is the fantasy world he lives in.

No fantasy world. That's well and truelly your domain. But the scenario you described must have been akin to what News Ltd did to rugby league back in 1997 except the true value of rugby league was not in the negotiation.