What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Champions’ Sydney Roosters appear on billboards in Super Bowl 53 host city Atlanta

unforgiven

Bench
As it should, NZ being the third Territory, pending their elevation to Statehood.
There are actually 10 territories, 3 mainland territories and 7 offshore. Becoming a Territory would not give NZ statehood and people living in territories have less rights than people living in states.

NT and ACT often get treated like states due to their population size.

super_coach

First Grade
Tigers would have won about three comps a few years back if the refs rewarded attack over defence!!!!

Maybe we should just get a hybrid game going that is a mix of rugby sevens and touch. Souths won a comp by using their defence as basically a attacking weapon, by actually belting teams into the ground than overrunning them in attack. Also the Chooks last year for all their attacking skill it was the defence that was their key weapon.

Yes a wrestlethon between two unskillful teams is like a session of root canal therapy, but please god, don’t give the refs more opportunities to influence the results of games as I can see it now every second ref blunder will be labeled...giving the team the attacking benefit

T-Boon

Coach
what the referees/rules should be rewarding is lots of passing, keeping the ball alive, adventurous football (including the good old chip kick). The referees/rules should "deward" fast play the balls, slow play the balls (all PTB should be the same speed or at least the PTB speed should not matter), decoy running, and crap like that.

T-Boon

Coach
Souths won a comp by using their defence as basically a attacking weapon, by actually belting teams into the ground than overrunning them in attack.

That Souths style/game plan was an example of the worst rugby league can get in terms of a spectacle. Just these big units steam rolling off fast play the balls with minimal RL skill and the same backline move for a try at the end of it.

How do you figure this?
This joke Roosters claim is a long way below the american claim.

The Roosters never made the claim. The Roosters never paid for the billboard. It is wholly the NRL's idea and the NRL paid for it. Got a problem with it? Then take it up with the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless by slim chance Wigan win, then the media will be full of how stupid the NRL now look. or maybe no such thing as bad publicity?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd bet dollars to donuts that no-one in the USA would know

I bet they dont know anyway, the few people who drove past wouldnt have a clue and the rest of America even less so, the aussie and English media however could have a field day pointing out how arrogant and stupid the NRl look in putting Rossters up as wold champions when they then went and lost. No pressure roosters lol.

Chook Norris

First Grade
The NRL has released the following street talk video from Atlanta:

Now the billboard has more context, I've warmed a little more to it.

T-Boon

Coach
I think it is the NRL trying to re-engage with NRL fans who have lost interest in NRL and gone to NFL

The NRL knows 35 million australians will be watching the super bowl while only 3 million watched the NRL gf.

insert.pause

First Grade
Like I said, it was never about Americans, it’s about exploiting the once a year popularity in Australia for the super bowl to market the NRL season.