What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Points of Trial vs Knights

getsmarty

Immortal
Agreed.
Field starts the trials each year, then we never see him again.

Did Widdop & Norman play?

I only watched the last five of the first and the second half and don't recall seeing either in my interrupted viewing.

Hunt and Norman played all of the first half..looked really clunky...as I was watching i thought McGregor must be the only coach in First grade who can shackle a guy like Norman and make him play conservative...Granted it was his First game with us ..but none of the usual spontaneity he showed at Parra was evident. The young guys in the 2nd half made a lot of the first graders look average..well done to guys like Kerr/Field/Robson/Timm/Dufty etc..

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Hunt and Norman played all of the first half..looked really clunky...as I was watching i thought McGregor must be the only coach in First grade who can shackle a guy like Norman and make him play conservative...Granted it was his First game with us ..but none of the usual spontaneity he showed at Parra was evident. The young guys in the 2nd half made a lot of the first graders look average..well done to guys like Kerr/Field/Robson/Timm/Dufty etc..

Thanks mate.

Dragon66

Juniors
I can’t take much out of that second half except all our players put in a good effort.

That was a very 2nd rate Newcastle outfit.

So all I can say is that our 2nd tier players are better then Newies 2nd tier mob.
Lots of positives though in that second half from Kerr, Timm, Robson, Field and Dufty. Ravalava showed enough that he has potential, but a bit premature to be pushing his barrow for a starting spot at this stage.
It would be nice if he was given a wing spot against Souths, then we might be able to get a better gauge of his chances.
Lafai was a plodder, and Aitken still doesn’t put any pressure on the defence, except when he puts his head down and bum up and charges into the line. Also is still a lousy passer of the football.

It was a good hit out for the side, plenty of near misses, so a lot to be pleased with.
The defence was strong. Plenty of reason to feel confident that we will be very competitive all year. No reason why we can’t be somewhere in the middle of the eight come finals time.

But If we struggle through the year it will be because of the quality of the coaching, not the quality of the players.

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg_rc1_8965.jpg

MATCH REPORT

Ravalawa bags double as Dragons beat Knights in trial
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 23 Feb 2019, 05:53 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Kalyn Ponga gave a glimpse of the impact he could have at five-eighth for Newcastle this season by laying on two tries as St George Illawarra unearthed Fiji wing sensation Mikaele Ravalawa in their trial on Saturday.

The match, which was shifted to WIN Stadium due to problems with the playing surface at the Dragons' home ground, Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, was the first chance for Newcastle coach Nathan Brown to pit his new halves pairing of Ponga and Mitchell Pearce against NRL opposition.

St George Illawarra also fielded a new-look spine, with captain Gareth Widdop shifting to fullback in the first half to accommodate off-season recruit Corey Norman at five-eighth.

Norman started alongside his former Brisbane halves partner Ben Hunt, while Cameron McInnes started at hooker.

The rival spines, which included Connor Watson at fullback for Newcastle and Danny Levi at hooker, played the opening 40 minutes of the trial, with Ponga making the greatest impression in his move from fullback to five-eighth.

The 20-year-old, who won the 2018 RLPA player of the year and was runner-up in the Dally M awards, was able to get his hands on the ball a lot more and created both of Newcastle's first-half tries.

Dragons

Scored 18 points

Away Team

Knights

Scored 10 points

Venue: WIN Stadium

The first came when he put Lachlan Fitzgibbon through a gap on the left edge and the back-rower stepped inside Widdop to score in the 18th minute. Ponga converted to level at 6-6.

Another short ball from Ponga created space for Fitzgibbon and he swivelled in a tackle before linking with Pearce, who put winger Edrick Lee over in the corner in 28th minute.

In comparison, the Dragons' key players appeared to be adjusting to the positional changes, with Matt Dufty arguably more impressive than Widdop at fullback after replacing him in the second half.

Ponga sets up Fitzgibbon

Indigenous All Stars prop Josh Kerr was also impressive in the second half for St George Illawarra, while Ravalawa proved a revelation on the right wing after joining the Dragons from Canberra this season and scored two tries.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor started the match with star rookie Zac Lomax in that position but Lomax shifted into the centres in place of Euan Aitken, who also spent time at left centre.

NSW Origin prop Paul Vaughan made a successful return from a leg injury that ended his 2018 season and scored the opening try in the 14th minute when he ran over the top of Levi.

Trailing 10-6 at halftime, the Dragons dominated the scored half and scored three unanswered tries, while bombing or having others disallowed.

Kerr crashed over in the 57th minute and Ravalawa scored his first try nine minutes later after receiving a cut-out pass from Dufty and stepping inside four defenders to score.

The Fijian winger claimed his second try in the 78th minute to secure the Dragons 18-10 win and could solve McGregor's dilemma over a replacement for departed winger Jason Nighingale (retired) and Nene Macdonald (North Queensland).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/23/ravalawa-bags-double-as-dragons-beat-knights-in-trial/

LINESPEED

Juniors
Really like the look of young Timm, looks a very good prospect.
Kerr, I had doubts at the beginning of the season but looks a changed man.
Lomax for all his skill is not a winger.
Robson is a must keep and he showed why today.

First impressions were that we haven't changed the tone of our game from last year, wether that is good or bad is yet to be seen.
And it really pissed me off to see Aiken wearing 3 again & Lomax sacrificed at 5.
Wasn’t Waterboy at the semis?

LINESPEED

Juniors

With Waterboy, Aitken & Lafai on a slow boat to Toronto we have back-to-back premiers 2019-2020 at least

Dufty1
Ravalawa 2
Lomax 3
Norman 4
Widdop 6
Hunt 7
Field 5
Mix & match - but they’re the most potent backs we have after that trial?

The young forwards are a revelation.
I don’t think Widdop’s shoulder’s ready, & based on today, Field should be 5/8 next week

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I was very impressed with Kerr, Timm, Robson, Vaughan, the Sims Bros and Field. Out of the 3 potential five-eighths - Widdop, Norman and Field - I thought Field won hands down; he even pulled off a few great tackles. Fields ability to run to the line and throw some great passes to his outside men really impressed me.

Widdop looked injured and out of sorts. Do a deal with his new Club and let him go.

Norman looked very ordinary and will have to work on his fitness and his game. It looked to me that the halves had not worked on any set moves or combinations prior to this game.

Lomax had a quiet game and his handling was poor.

Aitken had a bad game, hogged the ball too many times, ran towards the sideline too often and did not once look to set up his winger. When switched to the left side of the field he did try to pass however, the passes were not accurate and thus the play broke down.

Dufty went well and pulled off a couple of good tackles. He looked fit and ready to go and did a good job in attack and defence.

Ravalawa made some handling errors however, he showed enough in attack and defence to secure selection on the right wing.

I hope we get to see Pearson in action against Souths in the Charity Shield game.

The inclusion of De Belin, Frizell and James will make a big difference to our go forward in the Charity Shield game.

So my selection for the Charity Shield Game would be:

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Robson
10. James
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. K Sims

14. McInnes
15. Kerr
16. Timm
17. Leilua
18. Field
19. Lawrie
20. Host
21. Pereira

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
I was very impressed with Kerr, Timm, Robson, Vaughan, the Sims Bros and Field. Out of the 3 potential five-eighths - Widdop, Norman and Field - I thought Field won hands down; he even pulled off a few great tackles. Fields ability to run to the line and throw some great passes to his outside men really impressed me.

Widdop looked injured and out of sorts. Do a deal with his new Club and let him go.

Norman looked very ordinary and will have to work on his fitness and his game. It looked to me that the halves had not worked on any set moves or combinations prior to this game.

Aitken had a bad game, hogged the ball too many times, ran towards the sideline too often and did not once look to set up his winger. When switched to the left side of the field he did try to pass however, the passes were not accurate and thus the play broke down.

Dufty went well and pulled off a couple of good tackles. He looked fit and ready to go and did a good job in attack and defence.

Ravalawa made some handling errors however, he showed enough in attack and defence to secure selection on the right wing.

I hope we get to see Pearson in action against Souths in the Charity Shield game.

The inclusion of De Belin, Frizell and James will make a big difference to our go forward in the Charity Shield game.

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Robson
10. James
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. K Sims

14. McInnes
15. Kerr
16. Timm
17. Leilua
18. Field
19. Lawrie
20. Host
21. Pereira
Dropped Widdop already? Brave man.
Happy with Lafai today? I thought he looked so flat. He actually looked injured and was walking with hands on hips a lot. Aitken looked ordinary too.
Highlights-
Korbin Sims looks like a beast, fit and hungry.
Vaughan also looks ready to go.
Dufty looked alive and was screaming from the back all 2nd half, he looks dangerous whenever he gets the ball.
Ravalawa wow! Lock him in for right winger.
In the reserve grade game Saab looked great also, he is tall and strong and looks to be a star in the making.
Robson has to be coming off the bench, he outplayed McInnes today.
Overall a mixed game. I'm a bit worried about Ben Hunt. He looks lost in attack and is a turnstile in defense. Hope he gets his mojo back, we need him.

epDragon62

First Grade

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Robson
10. James
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. K Sims

14. McInnes
15. Kerr
16. Timm
17. Leilua
18. Field
19. Lawrie
20. Host
21. Pereira
I think your assessment is pretty good possm. I would keep McI in hooker but Robson's got to be on the bench and I don't think it will take long for him to surpassed McI as preferred hooker.

I'm confident that Hunt/Norman will work well and I'm now no so concerned if Widdop does re-injure, we can cover in my opinion.

Old Timer

Coach
Yep and was it my imagination our did Widdop look tentative with his left arm/Shoulder when fitzgibbon side stepped him,....For mine Widdop needs to be at 6...Norman on the bench..Dufty @ Fullback...lots of positives..Kerr/Timm and many of the younger guys in the 2nd half looked very good...

Problem is McGregor will stick and pick with the same guys he always does...will probably mean that guys like J Field leave...which will be a pity.
Widdop has played SFA at FB so not surprising Fitzgibbon stepped him pretty easily.
In fact most competent 1st grade FB's would have been stood up by Fitzgibbon who is a very classy back rower.
Gaz had slipped a couple of times and appeared to have some trouble with his sprigs gripping so maybe that contributed as well???
I really don't think there are any severe issues re his shoulder albeit he might be a bit lacking in contact training thus far this year.

kit66

Bench
With Waterboy, Aitken & Lafai on a slow boat to Toronto we have back-to-back premiers 2019-2020 at least

Dufty1
Ravalawa 2
Lomax 3
Norman 4
Widdop 6
Hunt 7
Field 5

Mix & match - but they’re the most potent backs we have after that trial?

The young forwards are a revelation.
I don’t think Widdop’s shoulder’s ready, & based on today, Field should be 5/8 next week

Nice backline although Periera on a wing and Field or Robson on the bench could also work.
If our forwards can dominate most other packs like we know they can that backline would cause their opponents so much grief.

possm

Coach
Happy with Lafai today? I thought he looked so flat. He actually looked injured and was walking with hands on hips a lot. Aitken looked ordinary too.
Highlights-
Dufty looked alive and was screaming from the back all 2nd half, he looks dangerous whenever he gets the ball.
In the reserve grade game Saab looked great also, he is tall and strong and looks to be a star in the making.
Overall a mixed game. I'm a bit worried about Ben Hunt. He looks lost in attack and is a turnstile in defense. Hope he gets his mojo back, we need him.
Well there you go Crush, we are mostly in agreement after this game.

My comment on Widdop was forcasted in January this year. I remember saying htat if his shoulder is OK he should go to fullback. From what I saw today, his shoulder is still not OK and really, he has no place in the team until he is fully fit.

The halves combination is a real worry however, I would not mind betting that Mary has not spent any time with them. To me it seemed that Norman was not managing the game and Hunt was managing it very poorly.

jeffdragon

Bench
It was knights first grade 10 -6 ,in the first half.And in the second our isp team + a half dozen first graders 12 knights isp team 0.Surprised aiitken and lafai got big minutes.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Highlights-
That's pretty much how I seen it . Widdop just had a gentle hit out ...He will be fine . I hope Rava and Lomax get a start on that right edge they could own that side for years to come . Either Aitken or Lafai have to make way for Lomax to play centre .

Frank Facer

First Grade
Norman was playing halfback. I like it, he will get better as the team gels

Robson looked good and could be the better hooker by next season, maybe even this season. We must sign him up, even if we have to decide to let either Robson or McInnes go at the end of this season. Keep the better one.

Field looked good. If he doesn't crack first grade here, I think he will at another club.

Lucky played big minutes and I liked his intent. He was prepared to take the hit ups and tackle. He also looks trim for him.

Timm impressed me with his intent.

Marsters looks like a good centre prospect. He could be ready this year, definitely by next year.

I am not convinced that Widdop is a better fullback than Dufty. Dufty is a matchwinner and I want to see him start the season at fullback. I would still be starting with Widdop and Lomax as my centres.

I liked what I saw of Ravalawa. I hope he gets first crack at one wing spot, but I doubt he will.

Lafai and Aitken didn't impress. I have previously said that we should have shopped both of them around to other clubs and created an extra 600 to 700K salary cap space. I think Marsters is starting to look better than both of them.

Ford looks to have developed a bit physically. He will be ready for first grade by next year.

I thought Kerr was good. I wouldn't mind seeing how he would go off the bench.

I liked what I saw of Korbin Sims.

I liked Lawrie's intent as usual.

I agree with Possm that we should try and offload Widdop to Superleague early. If we could, we could potentially open up close to 900K salary cap.

If I was selecting the team , for round 1, I would have penciled in, with DeBelin likely to be stood down and Korbin suspended

1 Dufty
2 Ravalawa
3 Lomax
4 Widdop
5 Pearson
6 Hunt
7 Norman
13 Frizell
12 T Sims
11 Lucky
10 Graham
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Lawrie
15 Timm
16 Kerr
17 Robson

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Norman was playing halfback. I like it, he will get better as the team gels

Robson looked good and could be the better hooker by next season. We must sign him up, even if we have to decide to let either Robson or McInnes go at the end of nest season. Keep the better one.

Field looked good. If he doesn't crack first grade here, I think he will at another club.

Lucky played big minutes and I liked his intent. He was prepared to take the hit ups and tackle. He also looks trim for him.

Timm impressed me with his intent.

Marsters looks like a good centre prospect. He could be ready this year, definitely by next year.

I am not convinced that Widdop is a better fullback than Dufty. Dufty is a matchwinner and I want to see him start the season at fullback. I would still be starting with Widdop and Lomax as my centres.

I liked what I saw of Ravalawa. I hope he gets first crack at one wing spot, but I doubt he will.

Lafai and Aitken didn't impress.

Ford looks to have developed a bit physically. He will be ready for first grade by next year.

I thought Kerr was good. I wouldn't mind seeing how he would go off the bench.

I liked what I saw of Korbin Sims.

I liked Lawrie's intent as usual.

I agree with Possm that we should try and offload Widdop to Superleague early. If we could, we could potentially open up close to 900K salary cap.

If I was selecting the team , for round 1, I would have penciled in, with DeBelin likely to be stood down and Korbin suspended

1 Dufty
2 Ravalawa
3 Lomax
4 Widdop
5 Pearson
6 Hunt
7 Norman
13 Frizell
12 T Sims
11 Lucky
10 Graham
9 McInnes