What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Points of Trial vs Knights

True_Believer

Juniors
Agreed for mine Lawrie was the least effective of the three young props

I agree. There's something about the way Laurie runs (and Timm is similar) - it's like they run too upgright or something. When they hit the line it's often like they've hit a wall and stop dead. They did well but probably just need a bit more work. It's only a trial and based on the last couple of seasons, the trials don't seem to be a good gauge of what will happen come round 1.

getsmarty

Immortal
Anyone who thinks we are going anywhere without Dufty in the team is kidding themselves
Brings speed and decisiveness to our attack and has great vision

Yep and was it my imagination our did Widdop look tentative with his left arm/Shoulder when fitzgibbon side stepped him,....For mine Widdop needs to be at 6...Norman on the bench..Dufty @ Fullback...lots of positives..Kerr/Timm and many of the younger guys in the 2nd half looked very good...

Problem is McGregor will stick and pick with the same guys he always does...will probably mean that guys like J Field leave...which will be a pity.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Gotta remember that Field, Robson and Nicholls have played together a fair bit in the same positions previously. The NRL spine is pretty much a whole new setup

Field has been a standout - has a great pass.
The form of the young ones will be way too much for Waterboy to process.
Such potential there - given a chance
But the Rd1 teamsheet will no doubt be as per this kickoff.

Dufty& Field have to be in the runon side against the Cows FFS

True_Believer

Juniors
Yep and was it my imagination our did Widdop look tentative with his left arm/Shoulder when fitzgibbon side stepped him,....For mine Widdop needs to be at 6...Norman on the bench..Dufty @ Fullback...lots of positives..Kerr/Timm and many of the younger guys in the 2nd half looked very good...

Problem is McGregor will stick and pick with the same guys he always does...will probably mean that guys like J Field leave...which will be a pity.

I tend to agree @getsmarty but I don't want to discount the Norman/Hunt option just yet. I'm just not sure we can afford to give it too much time to click if things aren't working.

I think he did baulk when Fitzgibbon ran towards him. I think I head somewhere that he's still settling in with the shoulder - hasn't been doing as much contact as the rest of the team?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Really like the look of young Timm, looks a very good prospect.
Kerr, I had doubts at the beginning of the season but looks a changed man.
Lomax for all his skill is not a winger.
Robson is a must keep and he showed why today.

First impressions were that we haven't changed the tone of our game from last year, wether that is good or bad is yet to be seen.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Agreed.
Field starts the trials each year, then we never see him again.

Did Widdop & Norman play?

I only watched the last five of the first and the second half and don't recall seeing either in my interrupted viewing.

Bench
A few standouts for me was Field, looks to have biult up over the preseason, had a pretty good game.
Kerr, this could be a big year for him. Time showed promise and we looked like we have a very good forwards this year.
Did Norman play, I didn’t hear his name mentioned
Aitken to me is still Aitken, we bombed three try’s with his passing.
Overall a good hit out

nontime111

Juniors
I love Ravalawa, big fella, fast fella, good crunching defence and man what a STEP! that try would usually, given a coach with a brain have him as first winger picked for round 1, cant wait to see how he handles the charity shield

Timm is above Lawrie for me, Timm , Luch , Host and Kerr were the standouts of the young forwards great depth we have even Nichols was great, Field superb, as with Robson, Dufty on fire looking good for this year thats what I got out of it

kit66

Bench
Wow, how many tries can we bomb?

About 6, the refs only called forward pass in a scoring situation but let about the same number go from dummy half - mostly from Newc. Could have been 40 - 10.

2nd Half.
Well I'm liking our depth a lot more than I'm liking Newcastles. Apart from Hoy they're looking pretty average. We have some handy back ups in every position that I can see. Timms was outstanding for us, bent the line every time and was everywhere in defence.Kerr and Allgood went well in the pack too. Field, Dufty and Sailor hilighted the advantage of speed in the backline. Dufty must play.
I know it's early days but I can't see Widdop at FB for long.
That first Ravilawa try was as good an individual effort as you'll see all year, he beat like 30 guys and had no right to score, fantastic try. Him on the right and possibly Periera on the left who was also impressive in the first half, always a handfull, made good pc metres and came in to help the forwards when needed.

Happy overall except for Hunt and Norman looking lost and maybe Lomax failing to pass on 2 occasions when a line break / try could have resulted. Also our failure to attack down the left more in the first half. Lawrie a little disappointing.
But a lot of positives for sure.

Last edited: